Deal already in place for a new tight end?

cleverusername

Reaction score
Ranch report is teasing we might have found Cambell's replacement.
Does anyone have more info? As far as I know Hannam is the only rumor.

http://cowboys.scout.com/

From Wikipedia:
Ryan Hannam (born February 24, 1980 in St. Ansgar, Iowa) is an American football tight end for the Seattle Seahawks of the NFL. He was selected with the 34th pick of the fifth round of the 2002 NFL Draft out of the University of Northern Iowa. Ryan played In the 2006 superbowl against the Pittsbug Steelers where he got 2 catches. One of the best back up tight ends to ever play the game

From Fox:
News: Dallas is setting up a visit with TE Ryan Hannam.
Impact: Hannam caught a game-tying TD against the Cowboys last season. He is supposed to be Dan Campbells replacement. (Sun. Mar 12, 2006)

DeepBleu

Reaction score
One of the best back up tight ends to ever play the game

as much as i love wikipedia, this just shows that the contributors there knows little about sports.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hannam is still the only TE on the radar and the report just confirms it.

Based on all the info we dug up yesterday, I still compare him to a Richie Anderson role-replacement more than Campbell. I think he'd be a solid pickup.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Hawks are happy when Hannam leads block party

MIKE SANDO; The News Tribune
Published: October 15th, 2005 12:01 AM
KIRKLAND – The way he is playing, Ryan Hannam won’t need to update his résumé anytime soon.

But if the Seattle Seahawks’ fourth-year tight end ever does need a reference for blocking, he could do worse than listing five-time Pro Bowl left tackle Walter Jones.

“He is probably one of the better tight ends who can block,” Jones said Friday. “He’s been taught well to keep his hands inside, and he does it well. … I think he takes a lot of pride in that.”

Having Jones endorse your blocking is akin to Chihuly saying you have a way with glass.

Hannam doesn’t look the part. The Seahawks list him at 6-foot-2 and 248 pounds. But when running back Shaun Alexander springs a long run, there’s a chance Hannam helped clear the way.

On a pass play last week, Hannam even walled off St. Louis defensive end Leonard Little, one of the more feared sack artists in the game.

“I don’t think the guys expect it coming from him,” Jones said. “He’s small and then he gets inside them and he don’t let go. … He’s done a great job blocking his guy.”

Coach Mike Holmgren has noticed. Jerramy Stevens is the starter, but Hannam has started twice this season when Seattle opened games in formations requiring two tight ends.

Hannam entered the season as the third tight end, behind Stevens and veteran Itula Mili. Mili has yet to return from an intestinal blockage, but he could be ready as soon as Sunday against the Houston Texans.

“We’ve been playing with two tight ends, which I wasn’t real comfortable with ever before,” Holmgren said. “But we’ve gotten through it. There are some special-teams decisions to make depending on when (Mili) comes back.”

Teams must name seven players inactive on game day, not counting the third quarterback. Mili was on that list for the Rams game.

Hannam won’t be landing on many fantasy football rosters, particularly with Stevens enjoying a breakout season. A fifth-round choice from Northern Iowa in 2002, Hannam has 15 career catches, including six in the first five games this season.

He dropped a pass against the Rams, a rare lapse that ran counter to his nickname.

“We call him ‘Sure-hands Hannam,’ ” Jones said.

The blocking is what keeps Hannam on the field. He has also fought back from a severe knee injury.

“Ryan is the best blocking tight end (on the team), in my opinion,” Holmgren said. “The other guys are OK. They’re fine.

“But Ryan is a pretty good blocker. Ryan is a good player. He has come in and played pretty well.”

Hannam lettered in football, basketball, baseball and track at St. Ansgar High School in Iowa. He put up respectable numbers as a running back.

“Nothing compared to the guys you can talk to around here,” Hannam said. “I ran for 1,000 yards, about 1,100 yards. For a big, slow guy, not bad.”

Seahawks press box

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Good research, Inman. "One of the league's better blocking tight ends" is exactly what we need.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I like these kind of reports! I want the Boyz to go out and get FOOTBALL PLAYERS, not these big name primadonnas that SOME teams pay for! This would be a good pickup, if it happens....:star:

Joe a Cowboys fan

Reaction score
A solid blocking TE would be a good pick up but we need good linemen to make the TE's job possible. Given a choice I would go for the Walter Jones. But it is a start.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Mili has yet to return from an intestinal blockage

That must have beeen some hellacious constipation.

The Seahawks have Stevans and Mili tied up to big contracts, and they probably can't afford to sign another TE to anything other than minimum. I think this is a guy that Parcells got a good tip from his good buddy Holmgren. Just reading some articles about him on a Google search, Holmgren really, really likes him. He's flying a bit under the radar because he suffered a major knee injury his 2nd year in the league, and he just started coming back to full strength last year.

kingwhicker

BCRSA
Reaction score
As long as the kid is a decleater I could care less about anything else- we have a great receiving TE, we need a great blocker.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I would like a guy who could do both. If all you want is another fat guy to block, might as well put a reserve offensive lineman back there and save a roster spot