Deangelo and Tnew

ejthedj

Reaction score
I know this old, but Deangelo Hall opening his mouth about shutting down Steve Smith got me thinking...

Remember our game against Carolina and how frustrated Smith got?
He had one catch for 18 yards, with Tnew blanketing him all day

Now Hall?

Against Steve Smith he gave up
12/4 against ATL: 7 catches, 65 yrds, 1 TD
01/01 @ ATL: 9 catches, 131 yrds, 1 TD

And he claims he shut him down? And the media buys it?
Why don't these guys do a little fact checking before they release player rankings and assume one player is as good as he says he is?
Fact checking is a basic journalistic practice

I'm sick of it...Tnew is way better than Hall. Just ask Steve Smith -- he'll give you the mature answer :laugh2:

peppersquad

Reaction score
The way TNew played Steve Smith was the same way Seattle played him with Trufont, which got Sea to the Bowl.

Although TNew is clearly better than Marcus Trufont.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
peppersquad said:
The way TNew played Steve Smith was the same way Seattle played him with Trufont, which got Sea to the Bowl.

Although TNew is clearly better than Marcus Trufont.

By getting him ejected?:laugh2:

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
These days, the more you run your mouth, the more attention you get -- deserved or not. It's sad, but it's the way it is.

Besides being a loudmouth, Hall is a gambler on the field, so he gets more "spectacular" type plays. Of course, the ones he gives up are quickly forgotten.

Oh well, I'll take a quiet producer like Newman anyday.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
OUR D played Smith better. If I'm correct TNew had help on Smith all day. Rarely did he go 1 on 1 with no over the top help.... Not saying Atl didn't do the same thing.

Hall is a good DB one of the better one's in the NFL but his mouth is really starting to annoy even the Atl fans here...

BlueStar22

Reaction score
not question T-New's ability as I know he is the most underrated corner in the league but didn't we roll our coverages to contain Smith for the most part?

BlueStar22

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
OUR D played Smith better. If I'm correct TNew had help on Smith all day. Rarely did he go 1 on 1 with no over the top help.... Not saying Atl didn't do the same thing.

Hall is a good DB one of the better one's in the NFL but his mouth is really starting to annoy even the Atl fans here...
yep, you beat me to it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ejthedj said:
I'm sick of it...Tnew is way better than Hall. Just ask Steve Smith -- he'll give you the mature answer :laugh2:
Ask anyone with real NFL knowledge not just Smith.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
BlueStar22 said:
not question T-New's ability as I know he is the most underrated corner in the league but didn't we roll our coverages to contain Smith for the most part?

Sometimes we did, sometimes we didn't. Sometimes we played man-to-man, sometimes zone. It was a mixture. The only constant was that, except when we went to the nickel, Newman followed Smith everywhere. And Smith never got a catch against Newman.

We definitely didn't cover Smith the same way Seattle did. The Seahawks often put a linebacker (Kevin Bentley) on Smith outside to bump him, then had a cornerback behind the linebacker, as well as safety help deep. We definitely never did that.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Has Steve Smith said anything about Newman since that game?

Good or bad?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I really wish they would test Newman more so he can rack up the interceptions.

thomas_22

Reaction score
Vintage said:
Has Steve Smith said anything about Newman since that game?

Good or bad?

I rember he was on PTI when the playoffs started and they asked him about the Cowboys Game and all he said was that the Panthers were in the playoffs and that the Cowboys were not, didnt really Call TNew out or anything

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
T-New is very good at containing guys like Santana Moss and Steve Smith because he is one of the few players quick enough to keep up with them.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ejthedj said:
I know this old, but Deangelo Hall opening his mouth about shutting down Steve Smith got me thinking...

Remember our game against Carolina and how frustrated Smith got?
He had one catch for 18 yards, with Tnew blanketing him all day

Now Hall?

Against Steve Smith he gave up
12/4 against ATL: 7 catches, 65 yrds, 1 TD
01/01 @ ATL: 9 catches, 131 yrds, 1 TD

And he claims he shut him down? And the media buys it?
Why don't these guys do a little fact checking before they release player rankings and assume one player is as good as he says he is?
Fact checking is a basic journalistic practice

I think its been posted here before but cant find it...but teams were pretty succesful throwing on Hall all of last yr and his rookie yr...the numbers overwehlmingly showed Newman had a better yr but Hall ran his mouth to the probowl

David

stilltheguru

Reaction score
hall did not play in atl vs carolina second game of the year. But he did play the first game where smith had the 7 catches for 65 and the td.

Either way i remember watching the game and the announcers saying atl was double covering smith ALOT so hall needs to relax.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
hall also said lastyear he shut down owens. when had like 7 catches for 120 yards

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I was at the Carolina/Atlanta game last year in Carolina, and I remember quite well that Hall got torched a lot in that game. Two of them didn't make the stats because Smith dropped two easy catches after Hall was burned. On the touchdown reception, Delhomme hit Smith with a quick slant when Hall was out of position. Smith proceeded to the endzone and "mushed" Hall to the ground on the way there. Hilarious!