DeCastro, Martin boast more than just smarts

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DeCastro, Martin boast more than just smarts

Posted Feb. 15, 2012 @ 12:18 p.m. ET

By Jonah Rosenblum

When David DeCastro was choosing what school to go to, he was frequently told that Stanford wouldn't get him to the National Football League. The future first-round draft pick didn't listen.

"I love this school, I know football doesn't last forever, and people when I was getting recruited, people said you couldn't go to the NFL from Stanford," DeCastro said. "Obviously, I was smart enough to see right through that."
Intelligence, of course, is the operative word at Stanford. The fifth-ranked school in the nation, according to U.S. News & World Report, Stanford has long been known more for its academics than its athletics, but according to offensive line coach Mike Bloomgren, the two don't necessarily stand in conflict.

"They're unbelivable, these Stanford kids, what they can retain from a game-plan point of view," Bloomgren said. "You've got to be so fricking intelligent just to get into Stanford, but these linemen, we are so blessed. not just because they're smart kids but because football makes sense to them."
Stanford's linemen are so smart, according to Bloomgren, that the team didn't even need to cut down on its original 320-play game plan for its bowl contest against Oklahoma State.

And the brighest bulbs on the line are OG DeCastro and OLT Jonathan Martin, both of whom are projected to be picked among the first 24 picks of the 2012 NFL draft. With three freshmen alongside them on the line, DeCastro and Martin had the ominous task of helping this inexperienced group protect the most valuable asset in college football, QB Andrew Luck.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/02/15/decastro-martin-boast-more-than-just-smarts

Please let him last until #14....

:pray:

RS12

Reaction score
The whole intelligence factor is being so under valued around here.

Bigdog

Reaction score
I want DeCastro even if we sign Nicks. He is probably about as sure thing as one can get in this draft. We need to protect Romo and open up running lanes for our RB's.