December, 2002. The last time I felt true hope for this team

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
remember that day like it yesterday. “Sources are reporting that Jerry Jones met Bill Parcells at Teterboro Airport in NJ to discuss possible coaching job”. We felt true hope after the perenial 5-11 Campo years it was just what the doctor ordered. Just when that team was turning around JJ decided to stick his finger in the pie and bring in J.O, I mean T.O ,oops. And that was the beginning of the end. We’ve had no real chance at a ring since. Man I would love that feeling of hope again. Remember 2002 when we thought it was a disgrace that we weren’t a real contender for 6 whole years?! Lol.

MarkP88

Reaction score
remember that day like it yesterday. “Sources are reporting that Jerry Jones met Bill Parcells at Teterboro Airport in NJ to discuss possible coaching job”. We felt true hope after the perenial 5-11 Campo years it was just what the doctor ordered. Just when that team was turning around JJ decided to stick his finger in the pie and bring in J.O, I mean T.O ,oops. And that was the beginning of the end. We’ve had no real chance at a ring since. Man I would love that feeling of hope again. Relember 2002 when we thought it was a disgrace that we weren’t a real contender for 6 whole years?! Lol.
I remember the news broke in the time it took me to get from my apartment in Jersey City to my mom's house in central Jersey for Christmas. My mom (a huge Giants fan) told me when I walked in her door. I thought she was kidding...to this day, one of the best Christmas presents I ever got.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol. Yup I was in Bloomfield. Thought it was a prank.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It's unfortunate it didn't work out. It remains to this day all hype and no substance. Many have fond memories of the idea of Parcells in Dallas, but the on-field product wasn't really all that great.

yimyammer

Reaction score
March 29, 1994

the minute I heard the owner ran off the back to back super bowl winning coach, I felt an overwhelming sense of doom that has never left me

The moment he is no longer part of the organization is the day hope begins again for me but that may prove fleeting since his offspring are likely to be chips off the old block

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It's unfortunate it didn't work out. It remains to this day all hype and no substance. Many have fond memories of the idea of Parcells in Dallas, but the on-field product wasn't really all that great.

BS. He took over a completely talentless team and built that team that Wade had at 13-3 in 07. And they got softer and softer each year under wade as predicted. He took a quincy carter led team with hambrick and guys like Me and you starting on the oline to 10-6 and to the playoffs. Beat coaching year of all time.

Proximo

Reaction score
It's a real shame that you didn't feel "true hope" in 2014 or 2016.

Those were good teams that were a play or two (or a missed call or two) away from conference championship if not Super Bowl appearances.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
March 29, 1994

the minute I heard the owner ran off the back to back super bowl winning coach, I felt an overwhelming sense of doom that has never left me

The moment he is no longer part of the organization is the day hope begins again for me but that may prove fleeting since his offspring are likely to be chips off the old block

Unfortunately I agree. I walked into the gym here in NJ and a fellow Dallas fan says “ hey man, you believe Jimmy Johnson got fired”. I cracked up and said “ yeah right! Can you imagine?!” He’s like no I’m serious. I about threw up.

robjay04

Reaction score

He changed the drafting philosophy for this team. Outside of the Roy Williams trade, Jerry has valued his picks since then and we aren’t taking as many chances as we once did.

Parcells also left us with an absolute stacked roster. It’s a damn shame that Wade couldn’t do anything with that team. We literally had playoff caliber players at every possible position.

QB
RB
WR
TE
OL
DE
DT
CB

I would say safety and maybe linebacker(I could be forgetting someone) were the only real positions of need. It’s unreal how talented this team got in the short amount of time Parcells was here considering he had nothing when he walked in the door.

With or without TO, Parcells wasn’t sticking around long. Going from Parcells to “camp cupcake” with Wade Phillips cost us a true Super Bowl run.

That and a Patrick Crayton drop...

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Those were good teams that were a play or two (or a missed call or two) away from conference championship if not Super Bowl appearances.

It is sad. But you always had that thought that these guys will not get it done, and that feeling was right.

robjay04

Reaction score

Heck you could argue the year AFTER Parcells should’ve gave us some hope as well.

13-3, Romo’s first year as starter for the season, A Patrick Crayton drop from the championship game. A young pro bowl QB, DE, TE...and talent up and down the roster.

Who would’ve thought that we would’ve only had one more playoff appearance during the next 6 years?

Pretty sad stuff there. I thought we were on the verge of greatness.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
remember that day like it yesterday. “Sources are reporting that Jerry Jones met Bill Parcells at Teterboro Airport in NJ to discuss possible coaching job”. We felt true hope after the perenial 5-11 Campo years it was just what the doctor ordered. Just when that team was turning around JJ decided to stick his finger in the pie and bring in J.O, I mean T.O ,oops. And that was the beginning of the end. We’ve had no real chance at a ring since. Man I would love that feeling of hope again. Remember 2002 when we thought it was a disgrace that we weren’t a real contender for 6 whole years?! Lol.

Proximo

Reaction score
Heck you could argue the year AFTER Parcells should’ve gave us some hope as well.

13-3, Romo’s first year as starter for the season, A Patrick Crayton drop from the championship game. A young pro bowl QB, DE, TE...and talent up and down the roster.

Who would’ve thought that we would’ve only had one more playoff appearance during the next 6 teams.

Unfortunately for us Wade was just not a very good head coach.

And you're right '07 was a season where we should've at least went to the conference championship.

2009 was hopeful as well but then truly unraveled.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
If you listen to half the geniuses around here who claim Garrett can still succeed, they were the same ones who claimed that a Hall of Fame coach had lost touch with the game.

It is laughable and sad. Parcells put this franchise back on the map.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Unfortunately for us Wade was just not a very good head coach.

He was no worse then than Jason Garrett is still aspiring to be.

Phillips just never got the style points that some crave and somehow give to Garrett for some strange reason.

Maybe a jolly fat guy being self deprecating, jiggling his chin fat and tugging at his arm hair is less than some crazy looking ginger strolling confidently in the room and going "how's it goin' guys!".

robjay04

Reaction score
He was no worse then than Jason Garrett is still aspiring to be.

Only thing I can say is that Phillips did zilch to add talent to this team. We were basically stuck in neutral during his time here.

Yes—-he’s not the GM and I just said that Jerry learned a lot from Parcells but there was just no structure under Wade. The main thing Jerry learned under Wade was to listen more to his coach and other people in the room. Maybe Wade just didn’t let himself be heard, he seems like a pretty submissive guy.

I want another coach as much as the next guy but there does seem to be more structure in regards to talent acquisition under Garrett. Garrett’s first pick was Tyron Smith...that alone was a sharp contrast from any pick made under Phillips or even Jerry for that matter. I’m pretty sure I remember reading that Jerry never used a first on OL until Smith and we have done it twice more since then.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score

Who would’ve thought that we would’ve only had one more playoff appearance during the next 6 years?

Can you imagine if Payton had never left and he took over for Parcells