CFZ Decision time is almost here-in house fa's/veteran cuts

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The front office has a lot of difficult decisions this offseason, we also have to keep to mind, 3 big contracts are on the horizon: Diggs, Lamb, Parsons.

Dak-team needs cap space and extending his contract is the easiest way to accomplish this by spreading out his guarantees. If they believe he still is their long-term QB, no brainer, but if they have any reservations, leave the contract alone.

Tyron Smith has a over 17 million cap hit this season. For a player who plays a handful of games, not a smart decision, especially now that they have found his replacement in Tyler Smith. Could we see a similar pay cut, like we saw with DLaw? Team can save close to 10 million if he is released, even more if a June 1st cut

Zeke Elliot will either be released which saves close to 5 million, double that as a June 1st cut or accept a major pay cut, which I cannot see happening. Cannot see him accepting a 2-3 million dollar deal.

Players who probably priced themselves off the roster: Shultz, McGovern, Noah Brown, Cooper Rush.

All about the cost: Lve/Wilson. Think they want both back, but they aren't going to overpay either.

Hankins should be a priority resign and won't cost too much money. Watkins probably the same.

Let Barr walk.

Anthony Brown is a 30 year old coming off a achilles injury, time to move on.

Goodwin offers nothing outside of Special Teams, both Joseph/Wright can replace him. Same for Gifford.

Potential Defensive veteran cuts: Armstrong save 5.5 million, did nothing after they stopped all the twists/stunts. Might be him or Fowler. Gallimore is the 3rd string DT, saves 3 million. Lewis saves 5 million where Bland might be a better/cheaper option.

Maher had such a great year, until the yips in the playoffs. Think he returns, but they bring in legitimate competition.

Last edited:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Indeed many a decision to make on existing players but there is that difficult balance of letting existing free agents or cap casualties go and having to replace them with others; recent history has shown that Jerry & Co. prefer keeping their own guys so by the time they figure out all the particulars as to what to do with their own guys the draft will be here.

Einstein

Reaction score
Lots of moves\cuts which are outside our norm, but the coaching moves were outside our norm too, so maybe.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The biggest issues are the cap hits between Zeke, Dak, DLaw, Tyron, and even Martin.
Of all the FA's there is not any player worth using the tag on, that would not be a big cap hit either for the production they would provide.

Most of them can be replaced but you will get the same type of player via FA as opposed to keeping them if a decent contract. Therefore the ... we like our guys .. mentality, which is an overused joke at this point.

They will sign 8 to 10 of their own FA's as usual, sin a few mid tier to lower FA's as usual, then draft well, or hope to draft well. then may bring a few of their own FA's back or another outside FA depending how many UDFA's they sign.

Basically status quo. It will be a huge surprise if they sign any top FA's.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The front office has a lot of difficult decisions this offseason, we also have to keep to mind, 3 big contracts are on the horizon: Diggs, Lamb, Parsons.

Dak-team needs cap space and extending his contract is the easiest way to accomplish this by spreading out his guarantees. If they believe he still is their long-term QB, no brainer, but if they have any reservations, leave the contract alone.

Tyron Smith has a over 17 million cap hit this season. For a player who plays a handful of games, not a smart decision, especially now that they have found his replacement in Tyler Smith. Could we see a similar pay cut, like we saw with DLaw? Team can save close to 10 million if he is released, even more if a June 1st cut

Zeke Elliot will either be released which saves close to 5 million, double that as a June 1st cut or accept a major pay cut, which I cannot see happening. Cannot see him accepting a 2-3 million dollar deal.

Players who probably priced themselves off the roster: Shultz, McGovern, Noah Brown, Cooper Rush.

All about the cost: Lve/Wilson. Think they want both back, but they aren't going to overpay either.

Hankins should be a priority resign and won't cost too much money. Watkins probably the same.

Let Barr walk.

Goodwin offers nothing outside of Special Teams, both Joseph/Wright can replace him. Same for Gifford.

Potential Defensive veteran cuts: Armstrong save 5.5 million, did nothing after they stopped all the twists/stunts. Might be him or Fowler. Gallimore is the 3rd string DT, saves 3 million. Lewis saves 5 million where Bland might be a better/cheaper option.

Maher had such a great year, until the yips in the playoffs. Think he returns, but they bring in legitimate competition.
Good stuff per usual…

-I thought Jerry said they were “starting over” at kicker. Maybe he was singing John Lennon. Who knows?

-Mostly just the fan in me, but I’d find a way to keep Tyron.

-LVE and Wilson are tough calls. I’d want them both back, but realistically guys like Clark and Mukuhamu need to replace them cheaply if they want to retain the top of the roster players. Part of the problem with this Jones method is that good players are flying out the door at least as fast as they are coming in. It’s just tough to spend top dollar just to bring back middle of the roster guys on big FA type contracts.

-Wouldn’t move on from Armstrong. What you say is true, but he is only a fringe starter and no need to create another need.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

Let Barr walk.

Agree with mostly everything. Tyrons contract needs a big adjustment. He is hopefully the RT/ swing tackle. Wilson is a key piece to the defense. LVE maybe limited bc of his plaguing injury but has been a good piece. Zeke has to go. I'd be very interested in keeping Rush. Also interested to see what his market is. Would rush leave for another backup job? Maybe he gets a shot to compete as a starter somewhere else?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good stuff per usual…

-I thought Jerry said they were “starting over” at kicker. Maybe he was singing John Lennon. Who knows?

-Mostly just the fan in me, but I’d find a way to keep Tyron.

-LVE and Wilson are tough calls. I’d want them both back, but realistically guys like Clark and Mukuhamu need to replace them cheaply if they want to retain the top of the roster players. Part of the problem with this Jones method is that good players are flying out the door at least as fast as they are coming in. It’s just tough to spend top dollar just to bring back middle of the roster guys on big FA type contracts.

-Wouldn’t move on from Armstrong. What you say is true, but he is only a fringe starter and no need to create another need.
-Maher was so good last year, until the yips in the playoffs. Will they just move on or give me legitimate competition?
-Cannot see the team keeping Tyron at that 17 million cap number, either extend or move on.
-I'm only moving on from Lve if they decide to go after Wagner. Don't think Clark is ready to replace him.
-Would release or not sign one of Armstrong/Fowler if it meant keeping Wilson.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The biggest issues are the cap hits between Zeke, Dak, DLaw, Tyron, and even Martin.
Of all the FA's there is not any player worth using the tag on, that would not be a big cap hit either for the production they would provide.

Most of them can be replaced but you will get the same type of player via FA as opposed to keeping them if a decent contract. Therefore the ... we like our guys .. mentality, which is an overused joke at this point.

They will sign 8 to 10 of their own FA's as usual, sin a few mid tier to lower FA's as usual, then draft well, or hope to draft well. then may bring a few of their own FA's back or another outside FA depending how many UDFA's they sign.

Basically status quo. It will be a huge surprise if they sign any top FA's.
Until they change, you would have to think they will continue to resign their own and use fa to just fill in the gaps so they aren't forced to reach to fill a need.

John813

Reaction score
IMO, they will find a way to re-do/restructure(not typical way) Tyron's contract to drop the cap hit for this year.
Too risky to cut/trade him only to realize Steele will miss the first month or Tyler gets nicked up. He's still a very good tackle.

Armstrong faded, but IIRC he also got injured too. I think they keep him on the roster, as a near lock. At worst he's a good 2 down DE and Williams can start having more pass rushing snaps. His special teams play is something else to keep him too.

They need to cut Zeke and IMO just do a standard pre June 1st cut. Eat the dead cap this year. No rollover. Still 5 mil gained.

I think McGovern won't be expensive to keep. A Kyle Kosier deal in 2023 salary seems fair.
Also think LVE takes a friendly deal, but gets term in re-signing at a nice rate.

Dak's contract though, is the biggest decision this team has to make this year.
I can't see them wanting to move on, cause it's a safe move rather than going into the unknown with Jerry being 80+. One thing if they had a QB with potential behind him on the roster now.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Agree with mostly everything. Tyrons contract needs a big adjustment. He is hopefully the RT/ swing tackle. Wilson is a key piece to the defense. LVE maybe limited bc of his plaguing injury but has been a good piece. Zeke has to go. I'd be very interested in keeping Rush. Also interested to see what his market is. Would rush leave for another backup job? Maybe he gets a shot to compete as a starter somewhere else?
-Tyron is the hardest decision to make. Think they believe he can still play and envision him starting at LT once Steele returns. However, history tells us, we will be lucky to see him start just a handful of games. We already have his replacement at a much, lower cost.

-I would use money saved by releasing Armstrong or not resigning Fowler to keep Wilson, think he is a very important piece we can't afford to lose.

-Lve is another difficult decision, clearly was missed when he went down, but the neck issue is still remains.

-Rush probably priced himself out, team isn't going to spend big on their backup QB.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Let Barr walk.

More like yearly and more lie about 19 of our own FAS that will need a decision on.. nothing new the fans hated all the offseaon m,oves made last year and in preaseon and early oninthe eyar precited bad season and wee, WRONG, no surprise fans are way to emaitonal and lie to porecits doom and gloom. they obvercame alot to get those 12wins and 2nd roiund pl;ayoff berth..
so hopefully the FO makes the right decisions again, remember its business first, has a hard salary cap, roster is small, so its tough to create new team every year.

each year is one off, so enjoy the ride..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
IMO, they will find a way to re-do/restructure(not typical way) Tyron's contract to drop the cap hit for this year.
Too risky to cut/trade him only to realize Steele will miss the first month or Tyler gets nicked up. He's still a very good tackle.

Armstrong faded, but IIRC he also got injured too. I think they keep him on the roster, as a near lock. At worst he's a good 2 down DE and Williams can start having more pass rushing snaps. His special teams play is something else to keep him too.

They need to cut Zeke and IMO just do a standard pre June 1st cut. Eat the dead cap this year. No rollover. Still 5 mil gained.

I think McGovern won't be expensive to keep. A Kyle Kosier deal in 2023 salary seems fair.
Also think LVE takes a friendly deal, but gets term in re-signing at a nice rate.

Dak's contract though, is the biggest decision this team has to make this year.
I can't see them wanting to move on, cause it's a safe move rather than going into the unknown with Jerry being 80+. One thing if they had a QB with potential behind him on the roster now.
Think the team wants to give Sam Williams more reps, one of Armstrong/Fowler doesn't return, most likely Fowler cause Armstrong is an excellent special teamer as well.

If McGovern's market value exceeds 5-6 annually that is a overpay.

John813

Reaction score
Think the team wants to give Sam Williams more reps, one of Armstrong/Fowler doesn't return, most likely Fowler cause Armstrong is an excellent special teamer as well.

Yea, I think they just bid Fowler adieu this offseason and give his reps to Williams. Probably will see another drafted at some point too, and UDFAs added to the mix.
I agree on McGoverns max value. 5-6mil AAV.

blueblood70

Reaction score
There is no way Maher returns. That dude is done for good.
" for good" great job with the emotional outburst over one bad game that was not an indicator on how great a year he had prior to that playoff game that didn't cost us the game bTW,,it was a blowout luckily., he was great all RS.. not sure what you saw and the year before in sport duty was also great for the saints,. he easily gets starting job and IMHO should of had a shot to compete in TC for this job,

the overreactions by fans are priceless and sat. He will easily be on a roster this year and startig ..remonder only 2-3 payers at each position can be labeled elite and then you have a handful of very good which last year Maher was part of , then you have truly bad..about bottom half of kickers last year were far worse.

maher was top 10 realy could be top 5 if we pick apart the stats..

2 of his misses were over 58 and one from 60 so anything under 55 he was nearly perfect, sure hes done over one truly bad game lmao,.

fivetwos

Reaction score
" for good" great job with the emotional outburst over one bad game that was not an indicator on how great a year he had prior to that playoff game that didn't cost us the game bTW,,it was a blowout luckily., he was great all RS.. not sure what you saw and the year before in sport duty was also great for the saints,. he easily gets starting job and IMHO should of had a shot to compete in TC for this job,

the overreactions by fans are priceless and sat. He will easily be on a roster this year and startig ..remonder only 2-3 payers at each position can be labeled elite and then you have a handful of very good which last year Maher was part of , then you have truly bad..about bottom half of kickers last year were far worse.

2 of his misses were over 58 and one from 60 so anything under 55 he was nearly perfect, sure hes done over one truly bad game lmao,.
Fans overreacting on Maher?

Jerry literally said they were starting over. He never says things like that about players. Gotta figure he means it.

I’d have him back with competition, but doesn’t appear that GM Jerry feels the same.

Havic

Reaction score

Kickers are a different breed than any other type of player in the NFL. That type of performance generally scars a kicker for life, hell it even carried over into the SF game. I wouldn't bet on it. Remember Mike Vanderjagt? Career leader in accuracy, had a few missed kicks and was out of the league shortly after.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

CWill got 2 year $14mil and he sucked at G. I'll be pretty surprised if CMcG floor isn't in that range. Teams are struggling to field O lines. If a team that thinks they are close decides they need a G, I could see higher offers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
@Cowboyny

Do you think Rush gets starter offers? I wouldn’t think so.

I would also think the Cowboys will spend a few extra bucks to keep him around as a backup.