Decline of the running game

3rdEyewarrior

Reaction score
Is it possible coach McCarthyS scheme is the reason for the decline of zeke? His scheme is more stretch right? Garretts scheme fit zeke. Garrett's a lessor coach but the run game was good with him. Also the left hydrolysis as awful for years until last year. We now have two pro bowl guards and drafted a powerful center. It doesn't change the scheme but maybe we run better. Also guys say we need a big play back but asked more explosive and faster now than emmitt ever was and he's my goat back.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Is it possible coach McCarthyS scheme is the reason for the decline of zeke? His scheme is more stretch right? Garretts scheme fit zeke. Garrett's a lessor coach but the run game was good with him. Also the left hydrolysis as awful for years until last year. We now have two pro bowl guards and drafted a powerful center. It doesn't change the scheme but maybe we run better. Also guys say we need a big play back but asked more explosive and faster now than emmitt ever was and he's my goat back.
If that were the case I think Zeke would have averaged more with the Patriots even though the offense wasn't good last year. However with Zeke I just think he's lost a couple steps with his explosivness. Still an effective power back in short yardage, but just think he's worn out.

With that said blocking scheme could play a factor. Hopefully, with some new linemen in the center we see more efficiency from the run game. We were pretty average last year.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If it is the scheme, why was Zeke's longest run last year with New England only 17 yards on 176 carries?

The run blocking has been bad, but it is hard for me to put it all on Solari when Tyler Smith has developed nicely. I personally think a lot of it was Biadasz and Tyron. Tyron was great in pass protection but he whiffed quite a bit in the running game.

coult44

Reaction score
Who cares about the running game. If you have a great QB and a lot of average WR’s you can win the superbowl

quickccc

Reaction score
Agree on Solari. Bring in a different OL coach and watch these guys look a whole lot better. Solari isn't the answer.
Will we also get the offensive coaches that really believe in using the RBs in the pass game - ala screens and isolations, and not just
run our RBs out of shotgun formation draws ...? :thumbdown:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
For the first time in a blue moon, the Cowboys have finally done something to resolve their problems in the trenches.
If that doesn't do something valuable to make their running game better, it seems a perfect way to get started. :grin:

Whether or not they decide to take any action to get another RB in the days and weeks yet to come will have to wait.

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Who cares about the running game. If you have a great QB and a lot of average WR’s you can win the superbowl
This is part of our problem.

Asking Dak to win big games is not a winning recipe because he is not a big game player.

We have to have a run game that can impose its will on teams in the playoffs.

Also, if we get behind in games we can’t really open up the offense and have Dak throw the ball all over because he just makes mistakes.

Meanwhile we pay top dollar for this type of QB.

It’s absurd.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Don't let @Robbieac hear about this thread, much less read some honest answers in here about how our run game sucked last year...and why. He will come out with his "Y'all are tripping. We had 3 All Pros" baloney...and add some laughing emojis.

:lmao: :muttley::laugh:

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I actually missed Zeke last year. Obviously, he can’t run to the outside at all, but he can get you the tough inside yards. It does hurt your creativity a bit because teams know he isn’t going outside, but I do think we effectively use jet sweeps to get the ball outside. Hopefully our inside game will improve if Beebe can make a difference at Center. It’s been painfully obvious that our running game fell apart after Frederick got sick and eventually retired.

cald0d30s0

Reaction score
I think Elliot could help in short yards and help grinding for yards to have a good balance. Also I agree MM scheme is not so in love with running the football. Yeah, our oline sucked on blocking, but if you think about it, MM would have made adjustments on the scheme or at least change coaches. Solari is not a good coach, MM probably knows it but no changes there so, does he really cares?

If my memory serves me well, he didn’t have a good/great running scheme back in GB right?