Deep Pass

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Okay I don't understand what JG is doing. I mean Romo has the arm T.O. has the speed and we have the Oline. Why don't we take more shots down field? It seems to me that this would be the perfect time to hit some deep routs since pats will be trying to stop all them short routs that we have been using against other teams for the past 5 weeks. If we throw Barber in the backfield (Because teams seem to plan more for him then Jones.) That could pull some attention to the run. Then ya spread their Backs out by sending Witten on a slant and Crayton on a short pass. T.O. could take ten steps and then Turn where Romo would pumo him the ball and T.O. takes off after the backs bite. The Oline can hold up and Romo can get out of the pocket so we should have no problem hitting some deep plays. We have the weapons for distraction and the talent in the Oline and Romo.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
We do throw downfield. A lot. More than we should, I think.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
No not like we should. Go back and look at the hook ups between McNabb and Owens. Now they were some deep passes.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Plan for our running attack lol Barber is not a back you plan for he is not an LT type back :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Hoods

Reaction score
I thought our average yards per pass play was leading the NFL, or something to that extent...

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Where are these short routes you are talking about? We didn't hit any until 4th quarter Monday night.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1699939 said:
Where are these short routes you are talking about? We didn't hit any until 4th quarter Monday night.
They were there. They were being called and the receivers were running them. Romo just didn't throw to them.

RomoMan

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1699943 said:
They were there. They were being called and the receivers were running them. Romo just didn't throw to them.

His mechanics also looked a bit off the other night-maybe Wade Wilson's absense took it's toll. On one pass to TO, where he had a step on McGee, Romo threw off his back foot with NO pressure on him.

At least we have WW back for now.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1699968 said:
Realy? In 2004 with philly he had 9 40+ rec. This year he has 1. He is on pace for 4.
You don't measure the depth of a pass by the total yardage gained on the play.

Reaction score
Romo should have been taking what the defense game him instead of forcing it into double and triple coverage...

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Hey, I'm with you but you have to take what the defense gives you.

Clearly, the Bills were so worried about the deep threat that they played mostly cover 2 and dropped their LB's deep on coverage. This left short routes wide open. If Romo would have gone to these guys rather than force the ball down the field into coverage then it would have been the blowout that many predicted it would be.

The Pats will be focused on taking away our two best options, namely, TO and Witten. That means Romo will have to go to Crayton, Hurd, and dump off the ball to our RB's in the flats or on screens and let them juke those old, slow LB's of the Pats.

I think Julius Jones could have a HUGE game for us if he is used on screens, flat routes, wheel routes, and draws. He could use his agility and cutting ability to whip the LB's and take it to the house!!!:D

RomoMan

Benched
Reaction score
dthahn;1699992 said:
Hey, I'm with you but you have to take what the defense gives you.

Clearly, the Bills were so worried about the deep threat that they played mostly cover 2 and dropped their LB's deep on coverage. This left short routes wide open. If Romo would have gone to these guys rather than force the ball down the field into coverage then it would have been the blowout that many predicted it would be.

The Pats will be focused on taking away our two best options, namely, TO and Witten. That means Romo will have to go to Crayton, Hurd, and dump off the ball to our RB's in the flats or on screens and let them juke those old, slow LB's of the Pats.

I think Julius Jones could have a HUGE game for us if he is used on screens, flat routes, wheel routes, and draws. He could use his agility and cutting ability to whip the LB's and take it to the house!!!:D

:confused:

They are pretty good, especially with Colven and A. Thomas. And Teddy B ain't no slouch himself.

alancdc

Reaction score
theogt;1699918 said:
We do throw downfield. A lot. More than we should, I think.

I agree. Man, on the pick to Whitten in the end zone JJ was in the left flat, and the closest Bill was at Niagra Falls. I thought he was doing a good job in the first couple weeks checking down, but he needs to do it more. I know the D was playing prevent on the TD drive late, but he should look to check it to MBIII and JJ more IMO.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hoods;1699938 said:
I thought our average yards per pass play was leading the NFL, or something to that extent...

It is, the original poster is quite clueless... indeed, the conventional wisdom now is that Romo threw those picks because the Bills left the short stuff available, but Romo kept on stubbornly trying to take the ball downfield...