Defense Question

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I was riding the train home today and was thinking about the Commander game and all our other games this year. Then I started thinking about the defense and the coverages. There's something that just came to me. Every week weak we here X team has to stop top and Witten they double team him and have safety help over the top. Then I was thinking how come we haven't tried to take opposing players out of the game. Why do we play the same way against ever team on defense no matter what? How come we don't factor in match ups and the players on the other teams offense it seems as if we just run this defense and do what ever. If am off basis with this just LMK however this is something that just popped into my head. Has anyone else noticed this???

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2297840 said:
I was riding the train home today and was thinking about the Commander game and all our other games this year. Then I started thinking about the defense and the coverages. There's something that just came to me. Every week weak we here X team has to stop top and Witten they double team him and have safety help over the top. Then I was thinking how come we haven't tried to take opposing players out of the game. Why do we play the same way against ever team on defense no matter what? How come we don't factor in match ups and the players on the other teams offense it seems as if we just run this defense and do what ever. If am off basis with this just LMK however this is something that just popped into my head. Has anyone else noticed this???

All sounds good but when your offense has the ball for only 21 minutes your defense gets worn down and you make mental errors and you just flat-out lose.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2297850 said:
All sounds good but when your offense has the ball for only 21 minutes your defense gets worn down and you make mental errors and you just flat-out lose.

Yea but thats not what I'm even talking about. I'm talking about the scheme the come up with seems to be the same generic bull. The coverages aren't working and they don't seem to adjust the coverages for different offensive players.

Bull Frog

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2297857 said:
Yea but thats not what I'm even talking about. I'm talking about the scheme the come up with seems to be the same generic bull. The coverages aren't working and they don't seem to adjust the coverages for different offensive players.

I don't what it is. It doesn't seem like we try and take a threat away from anyone like teams game plan for T.O.

I sit there on Sunday flipping through every game on Direct TV. I watch QB's make errant throws for interceptions, I see tipped balls intercepted and I see good individual plays in the secondary. I see QB's under pressure throwing into double and triple coverage. I see QB's with little or no pressure throw picks. Whatever it is, no matter how much pressure our front applies, our secondary seldom challenges a pass.

Maybe the scheme is too predictable. Maybe we have a bunch of undisciplined morons on defense. There is no doubt our secondary has more talent than last year and we are getting to the QB.

Scheme? Intensity? Discipline? I wish I knew.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Bull Frog;2297926 said:
Scheme? Intensity? Discipline? I wish I knew.

The DL trying to be heroes instead of playing to the assignments.........?

How else can we not stop the run?

The overall defense buying into Wades "free-for all" defense before completing their assignments?

How else do we let Campbell look like a pro bowler?