Defensive Ends...

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of ya'll talk about Pollack for a DE prospect... Given the Cowboys inability to really get production out of that spot due to our engage first scheme that Zimmer has, who do you think would best fit our needs at the defensive end spot today?

I believe that Kiwanuka has said he is returning to BC for his senior season so I think today, right now, Dallas needs someone who has lots of speed and Wiley sure isn't it.

Here is a link to some defensive end prospects, let me know what y'all think?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2005/prospects/de.html

Bobo

Reaction score
I thought Kiwi had the most potential, and thought he could at least be a good situational pass rusher right away.

Pollack is very good, maybe I'd compare him to Aaron Shoebel. I'd hope he'd fall to 20, but may not with Kiwi not coming out.

Never saw enough of James, wasn't impressed in the one game I saw him in.

Tuck has impressed me with his pass rush. I've seen him listed at around 240-245, don't think he's likely an every down DE at that weight. I've read everything from 4.5 to 4.7, so combine will be interesting to see in all aspects for him. Has he declared yet?

Cody has impressed me too, but like Pollack, maybe a little of a reach at 11 if we have a good shot at snagging another top de at 20. But Kiwi not coming out hurts those chances, and I don't know about Tuck or any other jr's.

Haven't seen Merrimen, but his #'s are great. Hope I can see him in a Senior bowl.

I don't think we need Spears or Canty unless maybe we go to a 3-4.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bobo said:
I thought Kiwi had the most potential, and thought he could at least be a good situational pass rusher right away.

Pollack is very good, maybe I'd compare him to Aaron Shoebel. I'd hope he'd fall to 20, but may not with Kiwi not coming out.

Never saw enough of James, wasn't impressed in the one game I saw him in.

Tuck has impressed me with his pass rush. I've seen him listed at around 240-245, don't think he's likely an every down DE at that weight. I've read everything from 4.5 to 4.7, so combine will be interesting to see in all aspects for him. Has he declared yet?

Cody has impressed me too, but like Pollack, maybe a little of a reach at 11 if we have a good shot at snagging another top de at 20. But Kiwi not coming out hurts those chances, and I don't know about Tuck or any other jr's.

Haven't seen Merrimen, but his #'s are great. Hope I can see him in a Senior bowl.
I don't think we need Spears or Canty unless maybe we go to a 3-4.

I thought Merriman was an underclassmen?

Bobo

Reaction score
I read Merriman declared, but of course that's not set in stone till the 19th.

ghst187

Reaction score
all the DEs in this draft worry me greatly. I like Pollack the best because he is relentless and has an incredible motor. He made plays and disrupted all the others in every game I saw him play and I watched UGA quite a bit this season and last.
I completely failed to notice Spears and James in every game I saw them, which was quite a few. James looks like a great big bust to me. Spears looks like a solid run support guy with 3-5 sacks in the best case scenario.
Kiwi, who i didn't really see, is stayin in school.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
In Zimmers run first scheme - Spears Is the best DE - He can also play 3-4 DE.

Pollack is a 3-4 DE/LB dream. The Maryland kid is the joker of this draft!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Bobo said:
I read Merriman declared, but of course that's not set in stone till the 19th.

Yeah I know he declared, but the guy I quoted said he was lookign forward to seeing him in the Senior bowl. He can't be in the senior bowl if he's an underclassmen.

Bobo

Reaction score
Rack said:
Yeah I know he declared, but the guy I quoted said he was lookign forward to seeing him in the Senior bowl. He can't be in the senior bowl if he's an underclassmen.

Well I guess we'll just have to settle for GhetthoGhanhi telling us over, and over, and over again that he's greeeeeeat! :D

Derinyar

Reaction score
Yeah, Merryman is a 3rd year sophmore iirc at the moment. Sounds like an interesting prospect. Someone I think we will have to think about at 20, though is probably out the window at 20 if we take Brooks or Johnson at 11.

zagnut

Reaction score
Nors said:
In Zimmers run first scheme - Spears Is the best DE - He can also play 3-4 DE.

Pollack is a 3-4 DE/LB dream. The Maryland kid is the joker of this draft!

Joker wildcard or joker pretender?

I agree on the answer being what kind of defense are we running. That said, Merriman is strong enough to engage the OT and play the run as a 4-3 DE with a little NFL weight room work or play the OLB position in the 3-4 at his current size.

I like Spears too. Comes up big in big games. Naturally huge and strong. Physical. Leader. Very safe pick who I think could be a good DT with a little time.