Defensive philosophy concerns

HungryLion

Reaction score
During the off season Zimmer made comments that the defense would force less turnovers under his watch. But that they would give up less “big plays”

Indicating his desire to play a bend but don’t break scheme.

I was worried about this but tried to keep an open mind thinking ok, if he can get points scored down then maybe it’ll be ok.

Well, 4 games into the season. The defense can’t stop the run AND aren’t making the big plays they always did under Quinn. Less sacks, less QB hits, less fumbles, less picks, less tackles for loss.

The defense isn’t making big plays anymore at all.

Some of it is personnel, but not all of it. It also has to do with Zimmers overall philosophy.

I gotta say. I would prefer to have the defense making big plays again. Even if they gave up some more big plays on the back end.

CWR

Reaction score
They did stop the run though. The defense needs work but NY never saw the endzone. If there's more of that ahead I expect will be alright.

Way too many missed tackles tonight. I don't know if field conditions had anything to do with it, but it seemed like we struggled to get traction a lot.

We definitely need to get the pass rush going though. That will likely lead to turn overs.

HungryLion

Reaction score
They did stop the run though. The defense needs work but NY never saw the endzone. If there's more of that ahead I expect will be alright.

Way too many missed tackles tonight. I don't know if field conditions had anything to do with it, but it seemed like we struggled to get traction a lot.

I’m gonna wait for them to do it against an offense that isn’t one of the worst in the league before I declare the run defense fixed.

Also, they let the giants control time
Of possession big time because they couldn’t get off the field. A couple of turnovers would have been nice.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
During the off season Zimmer made comments that the defense would force less turnovers under his watch. But that they would give up less “big plays”

I was worried about this but tried to keep an open mind thinking ok, if he can get points scored down then maybe it’ll be ok.

Well, 4 games into the season. The defense can’t stop the run AND aren’t making the big plays they always did under Quinn. Less sacks, less QB hits, less fumbles, less picks, less tackles for loss.

Some of it is personnel, but not all of it. It also has to do with Zimmers overall philosophy.

I gotta say. I would prefer to have the defense making big plays again. Even if they gave up some more big plays on the back end.

Forget all this, I'm still caught on not making mistakes!!

CWR

Reaction score
I’m gonna wait for them to do it against an offense that isn’t one of the worst in the league before I declare the run defense fixed.

Also, they let the giants control time
Of possession big time because they couldn’t get off the field. A couple of turnovers would have been nice.
Yes, it's a work in progress for sure. We've got a ways to go.

Ironically next week may be similar with Pittsburgh run game and Fields a mobile qb. Fields is a really good runner though, Jones has under rated wheels but he can't run with Fields. They have one big weapon in Pickens.

I expect a similar defensive plan.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They stopped the run today and made Jones take it to the air.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes, it's a work in progress for sure. We've got a ways to go.

Ironically next week may be similar with Pittsburgh run game and Fields a mobile qb. Fields is a really good runner though, Jones has under rated wheels but he can't run with Fields. They have one big weapon in Pickens.

I expect a similar defensive plan.

It’s gonna be an uphill battle.

They need guys like Guyton, Beebe and Mazi to get better, fast.

I was happy that Mazi had a good game. Maybe all hope is not lost with him.

Reactions: CWR

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
Sounds like Zimm is expecting to play more BBDB, and keep everything in front of them... "Hold 'em to a FG!"

Well, against the better teams, we can already see that this defense is simply going to break. They beat the Giants tonight because the G Men weren't good enough to get into the end zone...other teams will get in.

Quinn's philosophy wasn't going to produce a deep playoff run either, but really, it's a roster problem too.

Basically, it's a recipe for a lackluster season and likely missing the playoffs.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
All the talk was about Zim’s “double A Gap” pressures and exotic usage of Parsons.

So far— pretty vanilla.

They are still rushing Micah as a DE primarily, and that is gonna get him hurt and worn down ultimately— like tonight.

Good to see the run defense respond on a short week for sure— but they have a very long way to go

ak47kaehu

Reaction score
Well....whether or not its "bend but don't break", Zims Cincy and Vikings Defenses were pretty darn stingy and good against the run and pass. I'm still holding out hope that these past 4 games are just part of the growing pains of learning and geling as a new defense.....Maybe they turned the corner a bit tonight....Heck Mazi even played like a real DT for once.....Overshown showed some major play making ability too!

Prossman2

Reaction score
they are still having to think about everything. As the season goes on they be able to play faster

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
I knew a win over the Giants, and it was a close win, would give a false sense of security to the rose colored glasses group. An average offense with an average QB would have been slicing and dicing this defense all night. Just like the past two games. The Giants offense is horrible and the team is now in last place in this poor division.

The real games begin now and the wins are gonna be tougher to get. We shall see if the Dallas defense ate the cheese like the aforementioned fans did.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

New DC, new system, and substandard DTs.

In the tape I saw of run defense for the Ravens, the main problem was guys not just minding their responsibilities. Give the defense time to internalize the system, play it right, and play faster.

Good game by Mazi. He was getting a push.
I saw a number of players closing and tackling like I don't remember seeing for a while.
Will get Bland back.

The defense should get better. Mazi stacking good games together would be huge, and all of a sudden it doesn't look impossible.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
This is the Zimmer defense we all knew and hated from so long ago. Db's play 20 yds off the ball, teams move up and down the field, no turnovers, no sacks.

Our two best players in Diggs and Parsons are totally wasted

HungryLion

Reaction score
This is the Zimmer defense we all knew and hated from so long ago. Db's play 20 yds off the ball, teams move up and down the field, no turnovers, no sacks.

Our two best players in Diggs and Parsons are totally wasted

BINGO

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
My only hope is that when Bland gets back he lets these DBs play more aggressive. If he doesn't it really just becomes a waste of having two high level ball hawking CBs on the roster.

Creeper

Reaction score
They miss a lot of tackles. They could have forced punts several times last night except for the missed tackles that allowed the Giants to get across the line to gain. They have to clean that up.