Defensive problems all on coaching

NickZepp

Reaction score
In the early 2000s we were a bad football team but we generally had good defenses that put pressure on teams. Didn't really matter because we had terrible corner coverage. Now we have that flip flopped. Despite having this talent on the front 7 we don't put pressure on teams and we get beat with our secondary because of it. Instead of blaming talent, I'm done with that. Talent is far from our problems with our defense are all on coaching or system. The don't send any blitzes. Notice how teams like the Eagles always get a blitzer through. It's not that they have more talent than Dallas they don't. Their front 7 isn't even close to Dallas' Their secondary might be close. But they blitz a ton and blitz effectively. They constantly put pressure on teams. We simply don't despite having one of the best rush ends in the league in Ware and having some other talented line players. Teams just load up on blocking the front 7 and are able to protect for 3 seconds which is plenty of time and in the NFL if you get 3 seconds that's plenty of time.

To end this long rant what we need to have done is blitz teams with more than just our front 7. It's just not going to work against good teams. It will work the next 3 weeks, but against good offenses we'll have to outscore teams to beat them.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, Newman came free on a blitz and completely missed the QB.

WE do blitz, but our blitzers are lousy and can't tackle the QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We weren't putting pressure on teams in the early 2000's.

We didn't start getting to the Quarterback until we switched to the 3-4.

When we played in the 4-3 teams like Philly used to smoke us.

We've had much more success with the 3-4 than we ever did with the 4-3 and since Wade got here we are pressuring the QB the best we have done since we were winning Superbowls.

Also we blitz quite a bit Nick Zepp. Maybe you should go back and watch our front 7 and look.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Don't be afraid to double team a great WR. Sometimes Wade gets cocky because he overrates the talent on this defense.

I think Wade has gotten cocky, by not using Felix in the offense, not doing more to get Austin involved early on, not using screens, putting Newman 1 on 1 with a dynamic receiver who's healthy yet Newman isn't 100%.

Taking Zach Thomas out when the Skins put 3 WRs in and ran the ball down our throats, we were in a Nickel. I can't believe some rookie coach out coached our entire team, and Wade is on watch for me in the next couple of games.

I'm pretty sure we will win, but I'm paying attention to the little things even in victory, because as you all have finally seen, if you get away with bad play and still win, when you come across a hot or great team, you WILL be exposed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Clove;2296047 said:
Don't be afraid to double team a great WR. Sometimes Wade gets cocky because he overrates the talent on this defense.

I think Wade has gotten cocky, by not using Felix in the offense, not doing more to get Austin involved early on, not using screens, putting Newman 1 on 1 with a dynamic receiver who's healthy yet Newman isn't 100%.

Taking Zach Thomas out when the Skins put 3 WRs in and ran the ball down our throats, we were in a Nickel. I can't believe some rookie coach out coached our entire team, and Wade is on watch for me in the next couple of games.

I'm pretty sure we will win, but I'm paying attention to the little things even in victory, because as you all have finally seen, if you get away with bad play and still win, when you come across a hot or great team, you WILL be exposed.

I think its the exact opposite.

If Wade was more cocky with this defense it would be a good thing.

He plays coverages like he doesn't have faith in them.

We pressed more than we usually do yesterday but in the end it was to little to late.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CATCH17;2296055 said:
I think its the exact opposite.

If Wade was more cocky with this defense it would be a good thing.

He plays coverages like he doesn't have faith in them.

We pressed more than we usually do yesterday but in the end it was to little to late.
Playing man at the goal line on a slot guy is risky. It's a little easier on the receivers lining up wide, but so many crossing routes just to pick up 3 yards is very easy on goal line, it was cocky and stupid.

And playing Newman 1 on 1 with Moss who has incredible accelleration is not smart, I'm wondering who scouted the skins for the Cowboys, they should be fired.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
So far we've played a bunch of west-coast offense teams the same way by playing soft coverages and 10+ yards off hte ball, with no real attempt to pressure their QBs early to disrupt the short thorws.. I just don't understand it when these west-coast offenses are DESIGNED to take the short throws we are freely gving them.

That bad defensive play-caling is what gave Washington the ability to hoard the time of possession. I juat can't undewrstand why we consistently let them take it????

And I'm sorry, the 12th man penalty is on the coaches too because they should be checking for that from the sidelines and calling the time out to stop the play.

In conclusion, our defensive coordiantor, Brian Stewart, is a chump! I stil maintain that he is our Achiles Heel.

ddh33

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much faith Wade should have in some of these guys?

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
Defensively the Cowboys seem to be unable to make adjustments to scheme or game plan during the games. Is this Stewart or Phillips....or does it matter...both seem to be ******** on gameday.

Marshmellow D continues.... Weak and Passive defense seems to be the legacy that Phillips and Stewart will have when they leave Dallas.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Clove;2296075 said:
Playing man at the goal line on a slot guy is risky. It's a little easier on the receivers lining up wide, but so many crossing routes just to pick up 3 yards is very easy on goal line, it was cocky and stupid.

And playing Newman 1 on 1 with Moss who has incredible accelleration is not smart, I'm wondering who scouted the skins for the Cowboys, they should be fired.

Newman has done very well lined up with Moss 1 on 1 in the past. Thats probably where they got that from.

Its when Moss gets matched up on others we struggle.

I agree we do get Aggressive when our defense gets in the redzone.

I just dont agree that its because of Wade Cockyness. Because if he were cocky he'd play just as aggressive when the ball is on their side of the field.

We dont lock up until we absolutely have to. If its 3rd and 6 Our DB's will back off 8 yards and they will get the 6 on a hitch route. Makes me sick.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
CATCH17;2296102 said:
Newman has done very well lined up with Moss 1 on 1 in the past. Thats probably where they got that from.

Its when Moss gets matched up on others we struggle.

I agree we do get Aggressive when our defense gets in the redzone.

I just dont agree that its because of Wade Cockyness. Because if he were cocky he'd play just as aggressive when the ball is on their side of the field.

We dont lock up until we absolutely have to. If its 3rd and 6 Our DB's will back off 8 yards and they will get the 6 on a hitch route. Makes me sick.
I may agree with most of what you are saying, but this entire coaching staff knows that Moss is their best and fastest receiver, and they also knew that Newman was coming off of an injury, they type that if you have any weaknesses in your cutting, you're done. Plus, Newman has missed so much time, his timing is still a bit off, and the coaches don't know this?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I dont think the problem is the 3-4. Our problem is that the players are not mentally making the plays like they should and the coaching staff isn't getting them to do it either.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
our blitzers cannot tackle...and we cannot blitz up the middle...and that is killing us...our ILB cannot blitz....heck if they cannot blitz line Ware up at ILB and bring him....and put Spencer in place of Ware on the outside...but somebody needs to come up the middle and force the QB to only have half the field available to him.

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
ddh33;2296077 said:
I'm not sure how much faith Wade should have in some of these guys?

I'm not sure much faith some of these guys should have in Phillips.

NickZepp

Reaction score
You might seen one blitz. But it's not a regular thing. And it doesn't matter if you blitz and can't tackle. It's about forcing the QBs to do things they don't want to. Most of the blitzes we do throw at teams are more run blitzes which usually actually work.

MONT17

Reaction score
The coaches don't teach players to ankle bite on the dline or celebrate while u r losing.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Lol - other than 1 good defensive season Zimmer and Campo's defenses sucked early decade.

LOL- Our defense is vastly better but in late 2007 and into 2008 teams are running all over us.