Deion adopts the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
http://sunshinepreps.net/clips/Noel Devine.wmv

Noel Devine, of Florida, is 5'8", 165, runs a reported 4.5 forty and has a 330 lb bench press. ran for 1,092 yards and averaged 9 yards a carry two seasons ago, this past year he accounted for 1,668 yards and 23 td's.

Oh yeah, and he's 16 years old.

Those were his stats for his 9th and 10th grade seasons (both varsity), his parents are deceased and apparently deion is adopting him and moving him to texas so he can get better exposure and play against better competition. heres the article:

North's Devine headed to Texas

Dallas paper reports he'll be with Deion
By David Dorsey
ddorsey@news-press.com
Published by news-press.com on June 11, 2005

Noel Devine followed the tradition of Deion Sanders as a superstar football player at North Fort Myers High School.

After talking to Sanders on Friday afternoon, Devine has decided to follow Sanders to Prosper, Texas, where he plans to play for Prosper High, a Class 2A school in suburban Dallas, according to a report Friday on the Dallas Morning News' Web site.

"I'm on the phone right now with Deion," Devine told The News-Press at about 4:30 p.m. Friday. "You'll have to call me back."

Repeated attempts to reach the junior-to-be were unsuccessful.

"I think it'll be a great opportunity for me," Devine told the Dallas Morning News. "He'll be able to help me with everything I need help on. Some of the people (in Florida) think I'll be better off there. I think I'll be better off, too."

Sanders said he visited Devine and the mother of Devine's 3-month-old daughter, Abbigail, last weekend. Sanders has had serious talks with Devine since February.

"My wife would tell you all through our life together that I've talked about adopting a child and giving a kid a chance who otherwise wouldn't have one," Sanders told the Dallas paper. "It's about giving someone an opportunity to have a chance in life."

Sanders, 37, signed a one-year contract with the Baltimore Ravens earlier this week.

Devine, 17, rushed for 1,668 yards and 23 touchdowns on just 143 carries as a sophomore last season, leading The News-Press coverage area in yards per carry, averaging 11.6.

As a freshman, Devine rushed for 1,105 yards and 11 touchdowns on 121 carries, for an average of 9.1 yards per attempt.

Devine rushed for 94 yards and two touchdowns on 14 carries May 24 during the Red Knights' 27-3 victory against Lehigh in their spring football game — the last appearance in a game by Devine in Lee County.

A highlight video posted at sunshinepreps.net in January 2004 garnered national attention for Devine, who is the subject of numerous Internet message boards across the nation among high school and college football fans.

College recruiting analyst Larry Blustein of Florida Preps had planned to rank Devine as one of the state's top three juniors in August.

"If everything falls into place for him, he's going to play someplace on Sundays some day," Blustein said.

North Fort Myers assistant football coach John Basil said the Red Knights would be just fine without Devine.

"We'll move on," Basil said. "I wish him all of the luck in the world to get his life together. We won't miss a beat."

Devine never knew his father, who died in 1988, the year Devine was born. His mother, Abbigail, died five years ago.

Since then, Lee Thomas, Devine's grandmother, has been his legal guardian.

In order for Devine to be eligible to play in Texas, Sanders and Devine must complete the paperwork that will make Sanders his legal guardian by the sixth day of the coming school year.

If Devine's parents were still alive, he would have had to sit out a year in Texas before he could play.

Fort Myers coach Sam Sirianni Jr. said he would miss watching Devine play.

"From a football standpoint, when a kid who has that much talent and would attract a lot of attention to the area, you hate to lose a kid like him," Sirianni Jr. said. "You'd love the spotlight to shine on Southwest Florida.

"As far as having to play him for two more years, it would have been a daunting task. The kid has special ability. Wherever he is, whether he's here or Dallas, if he stays healthy and everything else, he can make some real special headlines."

DBoys

Reaction score
Kid is amazing he is in a class all by himself. He was absolutly blowing past people.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
The most amazing part to me, 165 and BENCHES 330. I thought i misread. a 330 squat for an 165 body isnt all that bad, much less benching that.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Not sure why they would want to bring him to a 2A school if they want to get him against better competition. They should have him in a 4A program, there are several good ones in the area where he could be playing against some really good teams.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
A 16 yr old boy still needs the influence of a mother figure.

It is a shame he can't be in a home with a mother/father environment.

Hoovie

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Not sure why they would want to bring him to a 2A school if they want to get him against better competition. They should have him in a 4A program, there are several good ones in the area where he could be playing against some really good teams.

Thats what I was thinking. Texas may be a football state, and HS football is king in some places, but 2A? How much intrest and recognition will that really gather?

Maybe I'm just spoiled, as I went to a multiple state champion 5A school.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Sanders said he visited Devine and the mother of Devine's 3-month-old daughter, Abbigail, last weekend. Sanders has had serious talks with Devine since February.

Nice.... :banghead:

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
he better hope he makes it quick in football. Playing football and raising a daughter at the age of 16 is tough.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
WV Cowboy said:
A 16 yr old boy still needs the influence of a mother figure.

It is a shame he can't be in a home with a mother/father environment.
well put.
Im afraid we may never see just what he can do in the future because he'll be locked up before then. Sounds stereotypical but i's oh so true for kids with a lot of talent and no one to discipline them. Maybe Deion will be good for him...

billyrags

Reaction score
I passed because I'm waiting to adopt the 2nd coming of Emmitt Smith, but I really wanted to go to a few Super Bowls. :D

hardcorebob

Through thick and thin
Reaction score
Man, that kid ran a 99 yard TD run like Tony Dorsett did! He is a man among boys, I can't wait until he hits college, WOW!