Deion rips Moss, Alexander for behavior

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Star says Viking ‘doesn't get it,’ Seahawk ‘selfish’
NBCSports.com news services
Updated: 11:33 p.m. ET Jan. 5, 2005
Baltimore Ravens cornerback Deion Sanders ripped Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Randy Moss and Seattle Seahawks running back Shaun Alexander, The Sporting News reported Wednesday.
Sanders, an NFL veteran, said Moss "doesn't get it" and Alexander behaved in a "straight selfish" manner last Sunday, the Sporting News reported, when Moss walked off the field with 2 seconds left and Alexander complained about not winning the rushing title.
Sanders made his comments on "The James Brown Show" on Sporting News Radio.
Sanders said Moss behaved inappropriately when he walked off the field with 2 seconds left and the Vikings lining up to attempt an onsides kick in a loss to the Washington Commanders. A win would have put the Vikings in the playoffs, but they lost. Minnesota only made the playoffs when Carolina later lost.
"Randy just doesn't get it," Sanders said, the Sporting News reported. "You just can't be happy and enthusiastic when everything is going good.
"That just doesn't send a good message to your young guys who are really looking up to you on that team.
"You want to be compensated as a leader and a winner, and he is a winner, but the leader part, you really don't understand. No matter if it's good or it's bad, you must have consistency in your character. And (leaving the game early) is not the sign of a leader. You just can't do that."
Alexander also took some criticism from Sanders. The Seahawks running back missed the NFL rushing title by one yard Sunday, then later criticized coach Mike Holmgren, saying the coach betrayed him by not calling a play for him on the goal line with 4 minutes left in the game. Alexander later apologized for his comments.
"That's just straight selfish," Sanders said, the Sporting News reported. "You should be concerned about getting into the playoffs and being happy with making it, not a darn rushing title.
"To sit up there and take a shot at Mike Holmgren when you fumbled the ball two weeks ago on the 1-yard line to cost your team the game. He's called your number I don't know how many times this season.
"Just a year or so ago this guy was going down with the first point of contact, and Holmgren was still giving him the ball."

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
and he's right....

Moss is the ultimate loser, and I've been saying it for years...Alexander's comments were just ridiculous

David

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Deion lecturing someone about being selfish is like Nors lecturing someone about posting too much on the 3-4...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Deion lecturing someone about being selfish is like Nors lecturing someone about posting too much on the 3-4...

Deion, No doubt was a show boat but I never took him at being selfish and considered him a team player for the most part. Heck one of my favorite WR Irvin could be considered and was by many around the league as a show boat as well but again total team guy.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
I think he's got a point with regards to these two guys, but I wonder how he would judge himself for all of the times he stood around on our PAT and FG defenses and didn't even attempt to run toward the line of scrimmage?

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

Well said on "Nine Toed" Neion Deon. But he is correct, but just doesn't sound right coming from his mouth.

mr.jameswoods

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:

I was just waiting for this response to be given. It amazes how image can totally distort one's perception of a player's true character. Deion was flashy. He loved to celebrate but he was never selfish. I don't know too many people who volunteer to play two positions full time without asking for a pay raise. Deion started as a WR and a CB for a season just to help the team win. Just because Deion wears pink suits, it doesn't mean he is a selfish player. I thik you are confusing a lack of humility with selfishness. There is a clear differentce