Demarco Murray stat

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Murray running the ball and balance overall, but this is one of the most misleading stats in football. Teams typically run the ball more when they are up, and winning.

For example, if we score on a bunch of quick passes, and a few Defensive/ST scores very early in the game, Murray will likely get 18+ carries and have very little to do with the win, outside of grinding the clock.

Or if Murray finds success early, but the defense gets shredded early and Special Teams turns the ball over, he's likely to not get his 18 carries, due to no fault of his own.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Teams with a kneel down in a game have a substantially higher chance to win over their opponent. Maybe we shoul kneel down on our first play of the game. I'm sorry, but it really is a meaningless stat.

Haha, nice comparison.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
The Cowboys also have 1 red zone rushing TD in the 1st quarter in their last 55 games. That was Murray last year against the Bucs, from 11 yards out. So from the 10-yard line in, we haven't scored a 1st-quarter rushing touchdown in 55 games.

Dallas is 7-0 when Murray scores a TD in a game.

RS12

Reaction score
So much for meaningless statistics right?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
This is a flawed stat. Murray gets more carries when Dallas is winning; as do all running backs when their team is ahead. Teams almost always throw more when they're losing. This stat doesn't mean anything beyond that. It's not as easy as just run Murray 18 to 20 times if he's only getting two yards a carry and expect to win.

RS12

Reaction score
This is a flawed stat. Murray gets more carries when Dallas is winning; as do all running backs when their team is ahead. Teams almost always throw more when they're losing. This stat doesn't mean anything beyond that. It's not as easy as just run Murray 18 to 20 times if he's only getting two yards a carry and expect to win.

You mean its flawed as in opposing D coordintors know that they will quickly abandon the run and chuck it to Witten short 3 out of 4 plays.? Then yes I guess you are right it is a flawed stat.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
You mean its flawed as in opposing D coordintors now that they will quickly abandon the run and chuck it to Witten short 3 out of 4 plays.? Then yes I guess you are right it is a flawed stat.

No, what I mean is, you have to move the ball, period. If the run is working, like vs. the Rams, you stick with it. But if Murray gets ten carries for 20 yards, the Cowboys had better try something else.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Has Dallas even played in that many games where they have had a comfortable lead and simply ran out the clock while Murray has been here?

This team has been 8-8 and has been in more close games over the past couple seasons than probably any other team in the league.

Yes, teams run more when killing the clock. I'm not sure that's all that influential here because Dallas doesn't blow other teams out on a regular basis.

frickster

Reaction score
I agree with the stat. If you run you tend to have long drives. Maybe keep the ball out of Rivers hands more. This team needs to run the ball period.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
No. You will notice that the really good teams have a balanced attack that is always present when the game is close. We are pass happy regardless of game situation. It is truly sickening to watch.

Yes, teams run more when killing the clock. I'm not sure that's all that influential here because Dallas doesn't blow other teams out on a regular basis.

RS12

Reaction score
Big picture football 101: Balanced offenses are much more difficult to defend than one dimensional teams that abandon the run quickly and start checking down the rest of the game. Not a whole lot of guess work required by opposing D coordinators in alot of these games. Frusterate the running game, double team Dez and make Witten and everybody else beat you short. Rinse and repeat.