Demarcus Ware

JonCJG

Reaction score
Just looking up some numbers of players in the same mold as D Ware for comparison purposes. 1st and second years only.

Willie McGinest 6'5 270

1st year 29 tackles 4.5 sacks FF 2 PD 6
2nd year 69 tackles 11 sacks FF 2 PD 5

Joey Porter 6'3 250

1st year 22 tackles 2 sacks FF 2 PD 0
2nd year 60 tackles 10.5 sacks FF 2 PD 2

Rosevelt Colvin 6'3 250

1st year 11 tackles 2 sacks FF 0 PD 0
2nd year 27 takles 3 sacks FF 3 PD 3

Shaun Phillips 6'3 262

1st year 21 tackles 4 sacks FF 0 PD 0
2nd year 34 tackles 7 sacks FF 1 PD 3

D Ware 6'4 255

1st year 47 tackles 8 sacks FF 3 PD 1
2nd year ???

I am wondering what the board is expecting from him this year, not only number wise, but what his impact over the course of the year will be?

My prediction is 11 sacks, 55 tackles 4 FF's, 3 PD and 2 ints and a Pro Bowl berth. I expect he will lead by example on the field, coming up big down the stretch.

Also would like to add that with 2-3 more sacks DW is in the probowl this past year. As it is, he finished 5th amongst LB's in sacks and was 2.5 sacks away from leading all LB's. Not bad for a rookie DE from Troy...................:thumbup:

starfrombirth

Reaction score
I don't expect the sophomore jinx from Dware at all. His only real problem last year was not having the diet and workout regimen of the larger colleges. With a full year under strength and conditioning coach Joe Jurazik(?) and a real diet not consisting of peanut butter and ramen noodles, I expect huge gains in his strength and thus his performance on the field. I'm almost drooling waiting for the upcoming season.:D

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I am wondering what the board is expecting from him this year, not only number wise, but what his impact over the course of the year will be?
I'll pass on predicting statistics, but I think this is the year that Ware becomes worthy of L.Taylor comparisons.

The Dallas coaches know exactly how to use him. Ware's got all the talent in the world. He's about to come into his own.

If he can avoid injury, the sky is the limit.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I find it rather impressive that his first year was much better than any of the others' first years. That's pretty good in itself.

And all of them almost doubled their numbers their second year. Imagine if the same is true for Ware? Wow.

burmafrd

Reaction score
10-12 sacks, 4 FF, 4 -6 PD, 80 tackles
And he will be in the Pro Bowl.

superpunk

Reaction score
Ware had a bomb year lsat year, dude had more negative yardage plays than any LB in the league. Big things are coming.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Ware had a bomb year lsat year, dude had more negative yardage plays than any LB in the league. Big things are coming.

Not to be picky, but shouldn't that be caused more negative plays?

It threw me off at first, because I thought you were using "negative" in a, er, "negative" way. ;)

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Ware is most similar to Porter of that list. He is a bit faster but has similar strength and plays the same position. Porter added moved and Ware is trying to do the same thing.

How well Ware does may depend upon if we keep Ellis on the field or not. WE will need a second pass rusher to draw some attention or else Ware will be chipped, doubled and rolled away from all year. I like Canty and Spears but they are not pass rushers.

I am hopeful Carpenter is on the field over Singleton. If so then I think we are going to be able to apply pressure on 1st and 2nd downs. If not then it may be only in 3rd down situations where Ellis is on the field.

Losing Glover will hurt the pass rush. Losing Glover and Ellis would cripple it.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not a big numbers guy for a defensive player, but I would guess around 14-15 sacks. Depends on how much time he spends in coverage. I would like to see him at least flirt with a pro bowl birth also. We should see a big improvement in his overall game and that will make him interesting to watch.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
superpunk said:

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

I can't wait to see our defense this year... I hope Dallas lets the defense start on every coin toss they win.:p:

Angus

Reaction score
How many of those players listed in opening the thread started and played as many games as Ware? And which of them had less of an opportunity to do well. I hope Ware does as well or better than proposed, but there can't really be a true comparison between his first year and those of the others without more information, information upon which to base his prospects compared to their second years.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
How many of those guys came from a small school? None. McGinest - USC. Porter - Colorado State. Phillips - Purdue. Colvin - Purdue.

The most impressive thing about Ware's play in '05 was that he made such a huge jump in the level of competition he faced.

superpunk

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
Not to be picky, but shouldn't that be caused more negative plays?

It threw me off at first, because I thought you were using "negative" in a, er, "negative" way. ;)

Sure, whatever.;)

Ware made more plays on the opponents side of the ball than any LB in the ENTIRE league.

Happy?:D

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The reason I am so hopeful of Ware this year is because of a few things that didn't happen last year.

Meaning, the times he didn't get to the QB. I watched Ware more than anyone on the field last year, and that guy was simply ellusive. He was 1 step away from killing the QB on a ton of occasions.

Some of the reason "I" think he didn't get double digit sacks!
1. Rookie mindset
2. Small school/experience
3. Power
4. Lack of moves.
5. More passrush threats on the line.

Obviously he's confident going into his second year so the experience and the small school factor is void.

His power should be double, which should be an automatic 3 more sacks.
Who knows if he will acquire more moves, but if he does, look out.
With Ayodele,Carpenter, James, Hatcher, Canty,Spears and a rotation of NTs, these 2nd year guys should be much better pass rushers.

IOW, I think Ware will have a monster year. :)

2much2soon

Reaction score
How about John Abraham?

Year G Total Tkls Asst Sacks
2000 6 15 11.0 4 4.5
2001 16 63 53.0 10 13

sorry, haven't figured out formatting this text box

AbeBeta

Reaction score
2much2soon said:
How about John Abraham?

Year G Total Tkls Asst Sacks
2000 6 15 11.0 4 4.5
2001 16 63 53.0 10 13

sorry, haven't figured out formatting this text box

That's pretty much an impossible comparison -- Abraham missed 10 games with injury as a rookie.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
abersonc said:
That's pretty much an impossible comparison -- Abraham missed 10 games with injury as a rookie.

Don't you mean "Abra"....?

:lmao: