Demarcus Ware's Sack Trend...Anybody else been noticing this....

Hot_Toddy

Reaction score
I've been noticing this for awhile (Ware's season sacks), and it just keeps going......

(12:45) (Shotgun) 10-E.Manning sacked at NYG 24 for -14 yards (94-D.Ware).
(14:55) (Shotgun) 5-D.McNabb sacked at PHI 35 for -1 yards (sack split by 96-M.Spears and 94-D.Ware). FUMBLES (96-M.Spears), touched at PHI 35, RECOVERED by DAL-56-B.James at PHI 37. 56-B.James to PHI 37 for no gain (36-B.Westbrook).
(1:19) (Shotgun) 5-D.McNabb sacked at DAL 43 for -7 yards (94-D.Ware).
(5:55) (Shotgun) 12-T.Brady sacked at DAL 47 for -5 yards (94-D.Ware).
(12:48) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards sacked at BUF 23 for -8 yards (94-D.Ware). FUMBLES (94-D.Ware), and recovers at BUF 22. 5-T.Edwards to BUF 22 for no gain (97-J.Hatcher).
(9:04) (Shotgun) 5-T.Edwards sacked at DAL 39 for -9 yards (sack split by 94-D.Ware and 90-J.Ratliff).
(11:01) 10-M.Bulger sacked at STL 42 for -8 yards (94-D.Ware).
:)06) (Shotgun) 8-R.Grossman sacked at CHI 36 for -14 yards (94-D.Ware). Penalty on CHI-76-J.Tait, Offensive Holding, declined.
(7:43) 8-R.Grossman sacked at CHI 5 for -7 yards (94-D.Ware).

All but two of Ware's sacks have come from the shotgun formation.

And on the other side, all but two of Greg Ellis' Sacks have come from non-shotgun. One of Ellis' shotgun sacks came in the Eagles game when Ware chased Mcnabb into Ellis.

Don't know what to make of it but everytime I see the opposing QB in Shotgun I start licking my chops.
And on the flip side when I see them going into non-shotgun, I start looking for Ellis.

Don't really know what to think of it yet, but figured I would throw it out for discussion. Thoughts?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The shotgun formation gives speed rushers a more direct line to the quarterback as long as the interior D-line can atleast hold ground.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Teams are using shotgun more and more on passing situations where we are rushing Ware because its a passing situation...

I dunno.. its 4am here in NJ and I need sleep.

I'll read this tomorrow and when the real minds come out ;)

EDIT: Also, in a shotgun formation Ware is thinking its gonna be pass 99% of the time. When the QB is under center its unclear whether its gonna be run or pass (Ware is so good against the rush because he doesn't just speed upfield looking for a sack but he contains and makes plays at or behind the LOS).

odog422

Reaction score
My take: Ware is more effective rushing against the shotgun because the QB drops a little deeper than when dropping back from under center, thereby making it less likely Ware can be pushed past the QB by the tackle (how many times have we seen this?). He also benefits from the deeper drop because of his speed off the line.

Ellis is a more accomplished pass rusher in terms of using his hands and getting the OT out of position. With his technique, he is able to create a direct line to the QB who is susceptible to his rush because of the shorter drop than in the shotgun.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
odog422;1763185 said:
My take: Ware is more effective rushing against the shotgun because the QB drops a little deeper than when dropping back from under center, thereby making it less likely Ware can be pushed past the QB by the tackle (how many times have we seen this?). He also benefits from the deeper drop because of his speed off the line.

Ellis is a more accomplished pass rusher in terms of using his hands and getting the OT out of position. With his technique, he is able to create a direct line to the QB who is susceptible to his rush because of the shorter drop than in the shotgun.

Well put. :D

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I believe Ware knows for sure that in shotgun the team is running more then not and he really goes in there thinking pass.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Even if a run is tried in the shotgun its almost always a draw or up the gut shot so Ware is not really responsible anyway- so in the shotgun Ware can tee off and just go for it. No having to read and wait.