DEPTH: Which of our backups could be starters on other teams?

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Here's a fun scenario to try and weigh how much depth Parcells and Ireland have given this team during their drafts and signings. Which backups do you think would be starters on other teams? Not necessarily all 32 teams, but at least have a shot to start on a few teams? This is either going to look like a hopelessly myopic opinion, or proof that there is honest to goodness decent depth on this team now.

I'll go first.

On offense:

QB - Tony Romo - There's so many bad QBs in this league, you can't tell me he wouldn't have a shot. The Jets offered a high draft pick for him, so Bill isn't the only coach who thinks Romo is a future starter.

RB - Marion Barber - He wouldn't get a chance on any team with a perennial 1,000 yard rusher, but he might be the best back on teams like San Fran, New York Jets, and Minnesota.

WR - Patrick Crayton - Assuming he stays healthy, he'd probably make it as a #2 somewhere. Bill said himself he though Crayton was his future starting wideout until the injury problems.

TE - Anthony Fasano - Possibly. He was a 2nd round pick. It's easier to find athletic TEs in today's game, but some team that hasn't found their new hybrid TE would offer him every opportunity to win the starting job.

C - Al Johnson - As much as we dog him, if Matt Lehr could become a starter somewhere else, so can Al.

On defense:

LB - This is the position with the most depth on the Cowboys. I honestly believe that based on their training camp reports, regular and preseason play, Kevin Burnett, Bobby Carpenter, and Al Singleton would all get shots as starters somewhere else.

FS - Pat Watkins or Keith Davis, whoever loses the starting job would still start on a team with weak depth at safety.

CB - Aaron Glenn is one of the best nickel backs out there and could still start on teams that don't have established corners.

I didn't include Hatcher at DE, I think he's still too raw, but we'll be able to say the same thing about him in a few years. IF Fabini ever recaptured that New York Jets glory, him or Columbo, whomever loses the job, could probably be a starter on another team.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nice post, TBC..I don't know if I agree on Romo, Glenn, Watkins/Fasano (yet)....but the last time I saw a thread of this nature it read, "which of our starters would be backups on other teams?"

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
TE - Anthony Fasano - Possibly. He was a 2nd round pick. It's easier to find athletic TEs in today's game, but some team that hasn't found their new hybrid TE would offer him every opportunity to win the starting job.
Fasano is a starter not a backup. He is the second TE in a two TE offense.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Fasano is a starter not a backup. He is the second TE in a two TE offense.

Okay, technically he's a starter here. But I'm talking about most teams that still prefer a fullback.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Nice post, TBC..I don't know if I agree on Romo, Glenn, Watkins/Fasano (yet)....but the last time I saw a thread of this nature it read, "which of our starters would be backups on other teams?"

Now that you mention it, I think I do remember threads like that when the Cowboys stunk. How times change. :)

Bizwah

Reaction score
You know, it's really funny.

I go by what I've seen, and I read opinions of fans on this board, and I think we have a talented team.

But I went to ExtremeSkins last night, and apparently we really have no talent outside of Witten (who's not quite as good as Cooley).

Kinda funny.....

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Aaron Glenn would start for about half the teams in the NFL

:hammer:

that's really the only player I think of our backups who could start in this league, not saying others couldn't, but realistically, that's the only one I'm 100% sure on

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
QB - Tony Romo - There's so many bad QBs in this league, you can't tell me he wouldn't have a shot. The Jets offered a high draft pick for him, so Bill isn't the only coach who thinks Romo is a future starter.
I'm not anywhere near ready to agree with this. He has to show me in a regular season game. I still want to see him put something on the ball.

RB - Marion Barber - He wouldn't get a chance on any team with a perennial 1,000 yard rusher, but he might be the best back on teams like San Fran, New York Jets, and Minnesota.
Perhaps. He still needs to protect the ball better, but he's decent as a receiver out of the backfield.

WR - Patrick Crayton - Assuming he stays healthy, he'd probably make it as a #2 somewhere. Bill said himself he though Crayton was his future starting wideout until the injury problems.
I don't agree. I think he's a 3rd guy at best any any system.

Not a backup, he starts for us.

C - Al Johnson - As much as we dog him, if Matt Lehr could become a starter somewhere else, so can Al.
I think it's safe to presume that anyone who has been a starter might have a decent shot at starting somewhere else if the team needed that position.

LB - This is the position with the most depth on the Cowboys. I honestly believe that based on their training camp reports, regular and preseason play, Kevin Burnett, Bobby Carpenter, and Al Singleton would all get shots as starters somewhere else.
I agree with this. The depth at LB is one of the main reasons why I think this defense has a chance to lead this team a long way.

FS - Pat Watkins or Keith Davis, whoever loses the starting job would still start on a team with weak depth at safety.
I think Davis could as a SS. Gotta see more of Watkins, but I like it so far.

CB - Aaron Glenn is one of the best nickel backs out there and could still start on teams that don't have established corners.
Agreed. Usually a place for a wily veteran.

Nice change from the days when other teams backups could start for us.

I'd like to mention Jay Ratliff as a candidate too.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
The funny thing to do is to make a list for the Commanders. Besides Randle-El is there anybody? I really don't think Duckett would start anywhere, at the most he would share carries some places.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Totally whiffed on Ratliffe.

Agree with you fellas who brought him up. Amazing! Next year, we may have TWO defensive ends who could start elsewhere.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:
I'm not anywhere near ready to agree with this. He has to show me in a regular season game. I still want to see him put something on the ball.

Well, the Jets only gave the Skins a 6th rounder for Patrick Ramsey, someone who had been a starter in this league and had some mild success from time to time, and Ramsey probably had a shot at winning the starting job, especially with a questionable Pennington. So I can only guess what the Jets thought of Romo when they were offering a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Well, the Jets only gave the Skins a 6th rounder for Patrick Ramsey, someone who had been a starter in this league and had some mild success from time to time, and Ramsey probably had a shot at winning the starting job, especially with a questionable Pennington. So I can only guess what the Jets thought of Romo when they were offering a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
Just like the conflicting reports on what we got from the Saints for Shanle there are conflicting reports about whether or not the Jets ever offered us anything for Romo.

Naturally that means its gospel truth they made us an offer and now if might have even been a 2nd rounder? Your post is the very first I've heard of that. Congrats on this groundbreaking revelation.

Me, I'm skeptical of that report. There's no evidence of it though the journalist who reported it stands by it. Some people believe in UFOs too. I don't.

JPM

Reaction score
I think Carp could start for many of the teams in the NFL.