Description: Sean Taylor incident

sacase

Reaction score
This is the first time I actually heard any details about what exactly happend with the ST incident.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/sport/archives/2006/04/16/2003303066

Sean Taylor always seems to find trouble

NY TIMES NEWS SERVICE , MIAMI, FLORIDA
Sunday, Apr 16, 2006,Page 23

Sean Taylor excels at defense. On the field, that has never been in doubt. Taylor is one of the best young safeties in the NFL, a first-round draft choice out of Miami by the Washington Commanders in 2004, a Pro Bowl alternate his rookie year, a player so ferocious he is called "The Hitman." Taylor, however, is currently depending on his defense lawyers as he fights assault charges here that could put him in prison for up to 46 years.

Last June, after an altercation in West Perrine, a depressed community south of Miami, Taylor's GMC Yukon Denali was sprayed with bullets from both an AK-47 and a semi-automatic pistol. The gunmen have never been identified.

In the shooting's aftermath, the police charged Taylor, 23, with one count of felony assault and one count of battery. In January, two additional felony assault charges were filed. Because of mandatory minimum sentences, Taylor would be jailed for at least three years if convicted of any of the assault charges.

"It's incredible that this young man would be facing three counts of incredible severity," said Ed Carhart, one of Taylor's three lawyers. "He has so much to lose it's mind boggling."

"He started talking nasty and stuff, talking about how, `The police can't touch me. I own this town." Ryan Hill in an interview after being approached by Sean Taylor on May 31, 2005.

On the field, Taylor carries himself with a demeanor that matches his nickname. In his rookie year, he had an angry postgame confrontation with Bengals receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh. Without naming either player, Cincinnati coach Marvin Lewis later said that one of his players had been spit on.

Last season, Taylor was ejected from a playoff game for spitting on Michael Pittman of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

His off-field life has often seemed just as chaotic. He cycled through agents and skipped a mandatory rookie symposium. He was arrested on drunken driving charges in Virginia in October 2004, but the charges were dismissed.

Through his lawyer, Taylor declined to discuss his legal troubles. His father, the police chief of nearby Florida City, also refused to comment. "That's what lawyers are for," said Pedro Taylor.

When his rookie season ended, Taylor chose to return to his native Miami rather than stay in Virginia near the Commanders. He sometimes stayed with friends, including Michael McFarlane, who lived in West Perrine, according to Carhart, Taylor's lawyer.

With money from a seven-year, US $18 million contract, Taylor bought a pair of all-terrain vehicles. Four-wheel ATV's are popular in West Perrine. They can be seen on weekends buzzing down side streets and traversing the yards of housing projects.

On May 31, 2005, after cruising West Perrine with a friend, Taylor parked his new ATV's at McFarlane's house. Taylor left the vehicles overnight, though he did not stay at the house himself, according to Carhart.

The narrative of what followed, including Taylor's arrest, is laid out in the felony records room of the Richard E. Gerstein Justice Building in Miami. Two folders bulge with the incident report, lawyers' motions and a dozen depositions of witnesses and police officers.

When McFarlane awoke June 1, he discovered the ATV's were missing, according to Carhart. He and a friend, and then eventually Taylor, drove around the neighborhood looking for the vehicles, according to the police report.

The reports said that Taylor's blue Yukon Denali cruised several times past a house where Ryan Hill was hanging out with friends. Hill approached the vehicle to ask Taylor what he wanted.

"He started talking nasty and stuff, talking about how, `The police can't touch me. I own this town,'" Hill, 22, said in an interview on the stoop outside his mother's public housing apartment in West Perrine, where he lives with her, a brother and a sister.

According to Hill and other witnesses, Taylor exited his truck, pulled a gun out of his waistband and pointed it at Hill and a couple of his friends. Witnesses claim another man pulled out an M-16 and demanded that Hill return Taylor's ATVs. When Hill denied stealing the vehicles, Taylor and the other man left in their cars. Both vowed to return and kill everyone present, according to depositions from Hill and other witnesses.

Ten minutes later, Taylor did come back, this time with what has been labeled in the police report "a posse" of men in other cars. He confronted Hill and his friends.

Hill, a 6-foot-3, 273-pound former high school football star, said in the interview that Taylor was "just jumping up, like in a football game. He was just jumping up, like hyped. Then he just swung at me when he got across the street. I fought him back."

The fight broke up when Hill and his friends scattered. Taylor returned to his Yukon and drove back to McFarlane's house, several blocks north. He parked the truck in front of the house, which he entered. A silver car pulled up. Hands poked out of the car's windows. From inside the house, McFarlane noticed guns and dived to the floor, according to depositions given by witnesses to Taylor's lawyers. The Yukon was struck at least 15 times, and the police recovered 27 bullet cases, according to the police report.
Taylor was not at the house when the police arrived. McFarlane and others refused to allow the police to search the house, according to officers.

Three days after the shooting, Taylor surrendered at a police substation near West Perrine. He posted US $16,500 bond and was released. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges against him.

Just days before the trial was scheduled to start this week, Taylor's lawyers found that the prosecutor, Michael Grieco, had put press clippings from the case on his Web site to promote his other job as a D.J. Grieco stepped down, and the trial has been postponed until May. Richard Sharpstein, another of Taylor's lawyers, said he would file a motion next week to dismiss the case.

The Miami-Dade state attorney's office has vowed to continue the prosecution.

In a statement, State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle said nothing on Grieco's Web site "compromised the integrity of the Sean Taylor case."

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Any comments from Commander fans?

We usually can't sneeze the wrong way without you guys defending Taylor.

I'm not saying this is accuarate or not, but it is certainly interesting...

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
trickblue said:
Any comments from Commander fans?

We usually can't sneeze the wrong way without you guys defending Taylor.

I'm not saying this is accuarate or not, but it is certainly interesting...

ok I'll fill the void.....

hmmm lets see.....umm...

ok I got it....

Shut up you stupid cowboys fans, sean taylor is the greatest ever.....he didn't do it and I can prove it because he says so and I was there......

How'd I do:D

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:

hmmm lets see.....umm...

ok I got it....

Shut up you stupid cowboys fans, sean taylor is the greatest ever.....he didn't do it and I can prove it because he says so and I was there......

That was a bit more mature then most Deadskins' fans' responses. :D

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:

hmmm lets see.....umm...

ok I got it....

One of the more intelligent offerings KB... :D

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Here's how the argument usually goes:

It is scientifically impossible for Sean Taylor to have pulled a gun on those guys because they are thugs and crooks who have done bad stuff since then. Therefore, since they are bad people, Sean COULDN'T have possibly pulled a gun on them.

What's more, he was justified in pulling a gun on them because they took his dirtbike. What kind of world do we live in now where a guy can't pull a gun on someone who took his toys?

And finally and most compellingly, the whole thing should be immediatly dismissed because one of the prosecutors likes playing music at parties in his free time!

HAIL!

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
Danny White said:
Here's how the argument usually goes:

It is scientifically impossible for Sean Taylor to have pulled a gun on those guys because they are thugs and crooks who have done bad stuff since then. Therefore, since they are bad people, Sean COULDN'T have possibly pulled a gun on them.

What's more, he was justified in pulling a gun on them because they took his dirtbike. What kind of pussified world do we live in now where a guy can't pull a gun on someone who took his toys?

And finally and most compellingly, the whole thing should be immediatly dismissed because one of the prosecutors likes playing music at parties in his free time!

HAIL!

If they say that I'll die and he's going to jail:laugh:

he is guilty though.......I just hope he gets a heavy $$$ slap and comm. ser.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Where is Sean Taylor's gun? Have they found it yet?

And is this all testimony from Ryan Hill? Were any bullets fired at Hill's house?

It seems the only proven place that a gun was pointed at was Taylor's Yukon, based on the fact that bullets riddled it

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
You forgot to add:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN OF THE SUPPOSED JURY...

chewbacca2.jpg

SkinsHokieFan said:
Where is Sean Taylor's gun? Have they found it yet?

And is this all testimony from Ryan Hill? Were any bullets fired at Hill's house?

It seems the only proven place that a gun was pointed at was Taylor's Yukon, based on the fact that bullets riddled it