Devil's advocate on the RB situation

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Would feel a little better if they signed Rico, because going into next season with just Mighty Mouse and our Fullback secured would be a disaster.

But here are the RB picks in Will McClay era (since 2002 as Scout, eventually into VP Personnel).

Rare that we've picked a dud in the 1st to 4th round. But be afraid if they wait until the later rounds. No "Terrell Davis Finds" there in the last 20 years.

Just saying, we have a track record on this one and the draft. I'm sure some of our other holes though that aren't getting filled in Free Agency are a different story.

1st to 4th round:
  • Ezekiel Elliott
  • Julius Jones
  • Demarco Murray
  • MB3
  • Felix Jones
  • Tony Pollard
  • Tashard Choice
5th to 7th round:
  • Joseph Randle
  • Deuce
  • Darius Jackson
  • Mike Weber
  • Shaun Chapas
  • Bo Scarbrough

HungryLion

Reaction score
I’m not that worried about the RB position. If they draft right you can get a good starting back in the 2-4th rounds.

The issue is they’ve brought in nobody else. No OL, no DL, no LB, nothing.

I mean we HAVE to upgrade the OL. That’s the bigger issue with the running game than the RB is IMO.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’m not that worried about the RB position. If they draft right you can get a good starting back in the 2-4th rounds.

I mean we HAVE to upgrade the OL. That’s the bigger issue with the running game than the RB is IMO.
Fix the trenches first or it won’t matter who the RB’s are.
What are you talking about... Left tackle and center. Only the 2 most important positions on the line. What could go wrong??

giphy.gif

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Would feel a little better if they signed Rico, because going into next season with just Mighty Mouse and our Fullback secured would be a disaster.

But here are the RB picks in Will McClay era (since 2002 as Scout, eventually into VP Personnel).

Rare that we've picked a dud in the 1st to 4th round. But be afraid if they wait until the later rounds. No "Terrell Davis Finds" there in the last 20 years.

Just saying, we have a track record on this one and the draft. I'm sure some of our other holes though that aren't getting filled in Free Agency are a different story.

1st to 4th round:
  • Ezekiel Elliott
  • Julius Jones
  • Demarco Murray
  • MB3
  • Felix Jones
  • Tony Pollard
  • Tashard Choice
5th to 7th round:
  • Joseph Randle
  • Deuce
  • Darius Jackson
  • Mike Weber
  • Shaun Chapas
  • Bo Scarbrough
Rico is a scrub.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I don’t really like a lot of the names for anything more than a rotation back. It also seems like a really weak draft for running backs. It would suck to use a second round pick on one. If you wait, there is a good chance you miss on a back. Really seems like a long shot they are above average at running back. I like Deuce too but it is tbd if he can play in the nfl

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
As a side note, Joseph Randle was on his way to a great career but he had personal demons that got in the way.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

If we don’t draft right and the RB doesn’t turn out to be good it’s going to be a real problem especially if we don’t get better up front. Right now we have nothing at RB.

superonyx

Reaction score
Look at all the RB's that just moved teams. Check out their YPC last season. It's a ton of guys averaging 3.5-4.2 ypc.

Henry 4.2 ypc
Barkley 3.9 ypc
Eckler 3.5 ypc
Moss 4.3 ypc
Pollard 4.0 ypc

Are you telling me we can't find this level of production in the draft?
I hate what has become of the RB position. But it feels like it just doesn't matter anymore.

HungryLion

Reaction score
If we don’t draft right and the RB doesn’t turn out to be good it’s going to be a real problem especially if we don’t get better up front. Right now we have nothing at RB.
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But I’m just saying the priority for me is OL. And then RB.

Missing on draft picks applies for any position of need you take.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Look at all the RB's that just moved teams. Check out their YPC last season. It's a ton of guys averaging 3.5-4.2 ypc.

Henry 4.2 ypc
Barkley 3.9 ypc
Eckler 3.5 ypc
Moss 4.3 ypc
Pollard 4.0 ypc

Are you telling me we can't find this level of production in the draft?
I hate what has become of the RB position. But it feels like it just doesn't matter anymore.
Good post. The issue could be pass pro, TP was very good at it, and it takes some rookies time to get it down. Dallas has a $60M QB, so they can't afford to have a rookie RB get him smashed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. But I’m just saying the priority for me is OL. And then RB.

Missing on draft picks applies for any position of need you take.
OL will likely be our first pick.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Malik Davis avg 4.2 - think people are sleeping on this cat

We get Ray Davis....pretty heavy 1 2 punch IMO