Dez -- Another Take on This Injury

Gossamer

Reaction score
I’m not sure if anyone has brought this up, but I’m wondering if this injury to Dez may be a blessing in disguise?

News articles, blogs, YouTube videos and radio shows pumping this kid up as the next ‘Randy Moss’.

That’s a lot of pressure for a guy who hasn’t played in a football game since 09/19/2009 against RICE (and he tore them up by the way -- 9 catches for 161 yards -- 2TDS).

Sure, it would be nice to have the guy on the field with the rest of the team, but now he has a chance to get into the playbook and learn the system.

All the buzz that was ‘DEZ’ can now calm down and he can ease his way back into this offense.

I’m anxious to see the kid play as much as anyone – but maybe we’ve been a little selfish.

But if you agree with my take, don't beat yourself up about it -- especially since we haven't drafted a wide receiver in the 1st round since Alvin Harper in 1991.

Maybe we just don't know how to react to this kid?

Mansta54

Reaction score
Dez gets the HYPE because he's special and its easy to see. His injury is no blessing but he will overcome it sooner then most think and I won't be suprised at all. His youth, hunger, well conditioned physique, and excitement for the game will have him back on the field in no time. The kid is SPECIAL!!!

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
Mansta54;3478204 said:
His youth, hunger, well conditioned physique, and excitement for the game will have him back on the field in no time. The kid is SPECIAL!!!
:hammer:

windjc

Reaction score
Gossamer;3478201 said:
I’m not sure if anyone has brought this up, but I’m wondering if this injury to Dez may be a blessing in disguise?

News articles, blogs, YouTube videos and radio shows pumping this kid up as the next ‘Randy Moss’.

That’s a lot of pressure for a guy who hasn’t played in a football game since 09/19/2009 against RICE (and he tore them up by the way -- 9 catches for 161 yards -- 2TDS).

Sure, it would be nice to have the guy on the field with the rest of the team, but now he has a chance to get into the playbook and learn the system.

All the buzz that was ‘DEZ’ can now calm down and he can ease his way back into this offense.

I’m anxious to see the kid play as much as anyone – but maybe we’ve been a little selfish.

But if you agree with my take, don't beat yourself up about it -- especially since we haven't drafted a wide receiver in the 1st round since Alvin Harper in 1991.

Maybe we just don't know how to react to this kid?

Could be. You never know. I think he's got plenty of time to evolve. He could see a preseason game and then there's 16 regular season games and then there is the playoffs, assuming. That's a lot of time to catch on.

3 of our easiest games are in the first 3 weeks (thanks again, schedule makers - sarcasm) so that helps too. I believe that Dez could really help this team this year, best case scenario, but the bottom line is, if this team is really the contender people say they are, then the defense is going to carry this team and the offense is going to learn how to score in the red zone again. If those two things happen, then Dez can progress at whatever speed he needs to without too much expectation.

He's got plenty of time to shine this season.

Gossamer

Reaction score
Mansta54;3478204 said:
His injury is no blessing....

Well I certainly didn't mean that the actual injury was a blessing - otherwise, I'm right there with you on the rest.

Gossamer

Reaction score
windjc;3478208 said:
He's got plenty of time to shine this season.

True.

Plus, he isn't coming in here with expectations of carrying this team -- like Roy Williams was when he was drafted by Detroit.

Anything we get out of him is a pleasant extra on a team that had high expectations with or without him.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Gossamer;3478201 said:

Winston Churchill's wife told him that maybe it (something else, not the Dez injury:) ) was a blessing in disguise. Churchill responded, "Well, then it is a very well disguised blessing, indeed."

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Players learn the playbook by being on the field for practice. For instance, I like to play golf. I could read every book possible on the golf swing. But, if I can't swing a club it doesn't make a difference because execution is a lot more difficult. It's not just about running the directions of what the routes call for, it's about the running the routes precisely. For instance, you may have a play that calls for a go route, but more precisely calls for 5 big steps, 2 small ones and then going full bore.

Then there's the adjustments that have to be made which is a large part of the QB and WR being on the same page.

Perhaps the only good thing about it is if Dez starts off a bit slow people will chalk it up to the injury instead of going ape on Garrett.

3JACK

utrunner07

Reaction score
We really needed another thread and another take on this...its not like every possible thing about this situation had been said yet...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think it is important to get a healthy Dez back instead of rushing him back. We are not in the middle of the season and missing this time while it sucks does not change the fact that Dez has been impressing people from the very start. He has a good understanding of the offense Cowboys need to make sure he is 100% before getting him back out there because it is not worth dealing with a lingering issue like this all year long

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
No it's not a blessing in disguise. He needed the reps. He's not destined to be anything less than an impact player. He would have been that. Now it will take a few more weeks into the season for him to bring that type of play.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jobberone;3478302 said:
No it's not a blessing in disguise. He needed the reps. He's not destined to be anything less than an impact player. He would have been that. Now it will take a few more weeks into the season for him to bring that type of play.

Maybe, maybe not Crabtree showed himself as an impact player even after missing the 1st 5 games of the reg season. Dez has been showing alot since OTA and while this is a set back I think Dez will still be able to come back and contribute to this team

nflandbooze

Reaction score
Eh, I think reps is the best thing for nearly any player, most especially young ones. I really don't see much of a silver-lining to his injury, other than the possibility that the press will hopefully stay off his back for a while.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Nice attempt to put a positive light on a negative situation but I think the loss of learning time, is a huge negative.

But I do admire your optimism. :D

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yakuza Rich;3478277 said:
Perhaps the only good thing about it is if Dez starts off a bit slow people will chalk it up to the injury instead of going ape on Garrett.
You have more confidence in some people's opinions than I do. :)

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3478304 said:
Maybe, maybe not Crabtree showed himself as an impact player even after missing the 1st 5 games of the reg season. Dez has been showing alot since OTA and while this is a set back I think Dez will still be able to come back and contribute to this team

You may be right but the odds are on my side. This has to set him back some but I think he'll still be an impact player this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Juke99;3478310 said:
Nice attempt to put a positive light on a negative situation but I think the loss of learning time, is a huge negative.

But I do admire your optimism. :D

Just dealing with the reality. As I said Crabtree missed all of camp and 5 reg season games yet was able to go out and contribute. Dez has gone through the OTA and at least the 1st part of camp and has been very impressive starting day 1. I don't think he is going to forget how to play the game. Believe me I would rather have him on the field right now but I think Dez still has great athletic ability that will help contribute to this team when he is able to return.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jobberone;3478315 said:
You may be right but the odds are on my side. This has to set him back some but I think he'll still be an impact player this year.

Not saying it is not a set back but Dez has been lighting it up since he stepped on the field. When he comes back he will still be lining up with some other very good weapons who teams have to account for. Bottom line either you have great talent or you don't and Dez clearly has great talent and has shown that every day he has been with us. I don't see that coming to an end.

7footer

Reaction score
Mansta54;3478204 said:
Dez gets the HYPE because he's special and its easy to see. His injury is no blessing but he will overcome it sooner then most think and I won't be suprised at all. His youth, hunger, well conditioned physique, and excitement for the game will have him back on the field in no time. The kid is SPECIAL!!!

I agree. I fully expect him to heal from this quicker than the original time frame of 4-6 weeks. That doesn't mean I expect our coaching staff to stick him back in the lineup for practices right away. But I think he'll be ready when called upon.