Dez Bryant Has Huge Hands by Dave Halprin

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dez Bryant Has Huge Hands
by Dave Halprin on Apr 23, 2010 10:26 AM EDT

Dez Bryant displays his freakish hands.

The Dallas Cowboys and Jerry Jones played their hand well on Thursday night; Dez Bryant was the player they wanted, a player they'll now tell you was ranked in their Top 10. In fact, most scouts and experts had Bryant ranked as one of the most talented players in the 2010 NFL draft. The dreaded 'character issues' set his fall in motion, much to the delight of Jones and Co. They got their man after a quick jump up three spots to edge out the Baltimore Ravens.

In the run up to the draft, I didn't really consider Bryant a possibility unless Dallas made a big leap towards the top of the first round. The issues with Bryant I'd heard about seemed almost trivial, and knowing the tolerance NFL teams have for 'issues' when it comes coupled with a big, fat package of athletic superpowers - my guess was someone was going to take him early. Consequently, I never researched Bryant much prior to last night. Today, I'm learning all things Dez Bryant.

I checked in with SB Nation's Mocking The Draft site to see what they said about Dez prior to the draft. Their analysis was consistent with my own knowledge, but more detailed. Bryan has great size, great quickness and burst, pedestrian straight-line speed, and is supremely athletic. They sum up Bryant this way:

In [Michael] Crabtree, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson, there have been some special receivers in the draft this past decade. Bryant has the ability to be as good as any of them. He's like a better version of Anquan Boldin.

The comparison to Boldin is one you hear everywhere, including our own Raf. For more of the particulars of his game, here's Scott Wright:

Soft hands and will make the difficult catch --- Aggressive with terrific ball skills and body control --- Fantastic leaping ability --- Strong and Physical --- Knows how to get open, separate and use his big frame --- Great agility and balance and does not go down easy --- Elusive runner with nice vision and instincts

Soft hands, makes the difficult catch. That would pretty much be the opposite of what we've gotten from the guy who played opposite Miles Austin in 2009. More to the point, Bryant seems to fit the Cowboys mold of a WR.

Other descriptions I've read include 'tough', 'not afraid to go over the middle', 'runs the quick slant extremely well'. When you put that together with the skills Miles Austin brings to the table, it's a nice fit. Of course, Bryant has to show he can transfer his skills to the NFL, not always a guaranteed outcome with any player.

SB Nation writer Joel Thorman had this to say in a running live blog of the first round:

Dez Bryant might be special -- NFL Network's Mike Mayock calls him the best receiver prospect since Calvin Johnson -- but is it worth another trade up? We shall find out.

If Dez Bryant is anything like Calvin Johnson, he's worth much more than the three spots we moved in order to get him. But the other sentiment of 'we shall find out' holds very true - you just never know with the draft, some guys work out, others don't. That's why it's so exciting.

So, based on all that and more, it's obvious that Bryant is one of the special talents in this year's draft. If you went on that alone, Dallas pulled off a huge steal in round one. But, there's that character issue thing. He got suspended from his team for lying to the NCAA (that penalty seemed excessive), his background has been marred by family instability, questions arose about his maturity and apparently some of his interviews with teams went poorly. It feels like a long list of mostly innocuous transgressions that somehow added up to a long fall in the draft. Included in that list was concerns about punctuality - being late to important events.

What does Dallas think about all that?

Bryant was outstanding on the field at Oklahoma State, but he was often late to games and meetings. He was suspended just three games into his junior season for lying to the NCAA about his relationship with Deion Sanders.

"Yes, the concerns are we can't start our meetings around here for him. Those ball games start at a certain time," Jones joked.

More seriously, by all accounts the Cowboys vetted his background, his current support group and everything else about the kid, and found the risks minimal in comparison to many players who carry a 'character issues' tag.

A look back to his days in college shows his teammates loved him, even after the suspension that helped to crush their season.

"I really don't pay attention to the negative things," said offensive tackle Russell Okung, who, like Bryant, is expected to be a first-round draft pick. "He's a great teammate. He's always been here for us and I love him to death."

There's another guy anxious to see what Bryant can do on the field. Michael Silver at Yahoo! Sports drops this on us:

A few minutes after Dallas picked Bryant, I got a text from Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo which read, "Tell him to be ready to go to work. I’m expecting a lot. Gonna be fun."

When I showed it to Bryant, he smiled and said, "I like that. I’m ready."

It's way too early to be grading draft picks, I mean, we haven't even started the second round yet, let alone waited the standard three years to see how a draft class turns out. But, it's never bad to hear something like this:

Which is why the Cowboys get the highest marks on Day 1 of this year's draft. Jones will provide the support system for Bryant, and Bryant will provide the playmaking that will make other teams regret passing on him.

And finally, I circle back to the title of this post. Apparently, Dez Bryant has huge hands - make that abnormally freaky large hands.

Oklahoma State’s co-offensive coordinator Gunter Brewer said: "He’s just freaky in how big his hands are and how strong they are. They seem like big oven mitts."

Houston Coach Kevin Sumlin, who recruited Bryant for Oklahoma: "His hands are absolutely huge. They are absolutely huge."

Huge hands are excellent for a WR. And, I hear, it makes him very popular with the ladies.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
sm0kie13;3365634 said:
true story.

refer to sig below

Wow this Dude is going to be a Freak! He will be everything they thought Calvin Johnson would be in Detroit.

He already had on his Dallas colors!

Can we get some College Highlights of Dez Bryant?

tunahelper

Reaction score
The Oline will benefit from having such a play maker on the field. With Dez, Austin, Roy, and Witten plus Felix starting the entire field must be defended at all times.

I think this is one aspect Jimmy Johnson was referring too when he spoke about needing a vertical threat. When you blitz us now be prepared for a WR to take a short pass for 6.

This opens the field up for Romo to enjoy target practice.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If he approaches even average production for a rookie receiver, this offense is going to be scary good.

Just think: A defense that has been coming on and a dynamic offense.

Shoot. We may be winning games 40-10.

ETex

Reaction score
sm0kie13;3365634 said:
true story.

refer to sig below

Dayum, his hands ARE freakishly large! Probably would take two whole cans of stikum to coat em'

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
His hands were measured at 9 3/4 at the Combine. That's pretty big, but not huge. Five receivers at the Combine had bigger hands. Bryant, though, did tie for the second-longest arms (34 inches).

A guy with surprisingly big hands is CJ Spiller -- 10 1/8. Those are huge for a little guy with short arms.

The biggest hands in the draft belong to Charles Brown -- 11 3/8.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CCBoy;3365615 said:
In [Michael] Crabtree, Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson, there have been some special receivers in the draft this past decade. Bryant has the ability to be as good as any of them. He's like a better version of Anquan Boldin.
If we can build a wall in front of Romo, we will score a lot of points.

QT

Reaction score
Can't wait to see him in the OTA's.

What's Dez's 40 times?

ETex

Reaction score
AdamJT13;3365869 said:
His hands were measured at 9 3/4 at the Combine. That's pretty big, but not huge. Five receivers at the Combine had bigger hands. Bryant, though, did tie for the second-longest arms (34 inches).

A guy with surprisingly big hands is CJ Spiller -- 10 1/8. Those are huge for a little guy with short arms.

The biggest hands in the draft belong to Charles Brown -- 11 3/8.

Those measurements are tip of thumb to tip of pinkie correct? His FINGERS and the overall length of his hand are what look enormous. I'm 6'3 with a hand span of 9 3/4" but my fingers are no where near as long as his. Do they measure hand length at the combine too?

HanD

Reaction score
SilverStarCowboy;3365647 said:
He will be everything they thought Calvin Johnson would be in Detroit.

that implies that calvin johnson has been a disappointment in some way...the guy is a beast. i take either him or andre johnson if i have my pick of WRs.

Dcz84

Reaction score
bbgun;3365934 said:
I saw him holding a kid last night. It's not his, is it?
Yep it's his and he has another on the way from a different mother.:D