News: Dez Bryant is finally ready to take off as a pass-catching star for Dallas

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Austin Murphy>INSIDE THE NFL

Dez Bryant is not just sorry. He is calling from his Bentley to let a reporter know that he is "super, super, super, super sorry" -- roughly one super for each hour that he is overdue for an interview and photo shoot that he agreed to a week earlier. The Cowboys' receiver is calling now to decant his contrition and to announce, at last, that he will be at the team facility within the half hour. Even before Bryant is finished apologizing, the stiffed sportswriter -- worn down and codependent from decades of dealing with star athletes -- is assuring him that it's no problem.

But it is a problem. That's the message from various figures in the Cowboys' complex, including the indispensable Marilyn Love, executive assistant to team owner Jerry Jones. Her phone calls to Bryant on this humid morning have ignited enough of a fire under his backside to roust him out of his house and into his car.

"I saw it in college all the time," says Derek Dooley, the ex-Tennessee Volunteers head man who is now Bryant's position coach in Dallas. When a chasm exists between a player's talent and his level of accountability, "sometimes there's a lot of enabling that goes on. The people around him say, He's so gifted, we'll cut him some slack, offer a shortcut."

Now entering his fourth NFL season, the 6' 2", 222-pound Bryant is about to blow up, in the good way, in large part because the Cowboys have trimmed way back on the slack that they're willing to cut him. Bryant -- whose 92 catches for 1,382 yards and 12 touchdowns in 2012 "barely scratched the surface" of his abilities, according to coach Jason Garrett -- is poised to realize his vast potential. While Bryant's play down the stretch last season constituted a two-month highlight reel, his best catch might have been a touchdown against the Giants in October that was erased upon further review (a finger touched down out-of-bounds), but which Babe Laufenberg, for one, can't forget. "He takes off from the middle of the end zone and makes this unbelievable grab," says the ex--Dallas quarterback and current Cowboys radio analyst. "The guy defies physics, like Dr. J."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130828/dez-bryant-dallas-cowboys/#ixzz2dOL7XWHO

dstovall5

Reaction score
What? Dez is "finally ready to take off as a pass catching star" ? Gee I thought he took off week 9 of last year! But if he was just warming the jets from last year to "take off" this year, boy are we going to see a force to reckon with out there in #88.

I think I'm honestly going to pray for the secondaries that face him this year, because he's going to straight up shred them, they're going to wish it was the old 88 instead of Dez. And that's no disrespect to Irvin either.

superpunk

Reaction score
So the new thing is to hold me hostage and force me to watch your ad? Thing paused if I minimized the window.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not real happy with the way SI handled that. Choose a commercial or go away, basically. That might be the last article I read of theirs.

The Natural

Reaction score
"I'm a work in progress, just like everybody else in this world. I've made mistakes, and I won't go down that path again. I've been through the bad things already. There ain't nothing but the right things for me from here on out."

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the new thing is to hold me hostage and force me to watch your ad? Thing paused if I minimized the window.

Yeah, that part sucked. And I apologize for not mentioning it to everyone earlier.

superpunk

Reaction score
It said "premium content" then took me to another page. What a shame. Seems like it might be a nice read.
You just have to watch the entire commercial. Can't minimize, send to back, anything. Sit there and watch.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It said "premium content" then took me to another page. What a shame. Seems like it might be a nice read.

Well, the way it works is you have to watch one of their crappy ads for :30 before u can read the article.