Did anyone focus on Peterman last pre-season?

Woods

Reaction score
I thought he had made some good progress since his rookie year.

For those who did watch him play last pre-season, what did you think?

IF for some reason LA does not get restructured, etc., do you think BP may be ready to see what Peterman can do? (Of course, I'm sure we'd bring in some competition as well.)

I know many on this board don't think much of Peterman, but at this stage I've got an open mind.

Eddie

Reaction score
Let's hope we can salvage Peterman. Another Day 1 bust from 2004 would be a major setback. Roger's bust has really hurt our OL. Peterman busting would hurt us for years to come.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did Peterman even sniff the field? :huh:

Seriously, I think Peterman's problem based on what BP said is that he's not versatile. He's not versatile enough to be an effective swing man. BP said in a PC, that he's strictly a left guard and we all know who starts at that position.

sago1

Reaction score
Impression I got from online newspapers & other comments was he struggled early in 05 preseason but improved near end of it. Although he drafted in 04, he was injuried in 04 preseason & placed on IR; so 05 essentially his rookie season. Reason we have no confidence in him, he got no OL playing time in 05 & Parcells termed him on dimensional--he can could play LG. Will learn this preason if he has anything to contribute at LG, unfortunately that's well after the draft & most good FA signings--unless last minute development occurs which how we got Aaron Glenn.

Woods

Reaction score
sago1 said:
Impression I got from online newspapers & other comments was he struggled early in 05 preseason but improved near end of it. Although he drafted in 04, he was injuried in 04 preseason & placed on IR; so 05 essentially his rookie season. Reason we have no confidence in him, he got no OL playing time in 05 & Parcells termed him on dimensional--he can could play LG. Will learn this preason if he has anything to contribute at LG, unfortunately that's well after the draft & most good FA signings--unless last minute development occurs which how we got Aaron Glenn.

I was hoping that IF LA was not with the team for whatever reason in 2006, that perhaps Peterman could be a potential replacement.

But I agree, with no regular season experience, it's difficult for us fans to form any intelligent opinion on Peterman's ability or lack thereof.

I guess we'll have to listen to the "murmers" from Valley Ranch on Peterman's development.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
BP did say in a PC that he thought "he had a player over there behind Allen" -- Bill likes to bring rookies along slowly when he can -- and Peterman was basically a rookie this year -- that could have been why he wasn't getting snaps at RG and wasn't seen as "versatile" -- not clear at this point whether that was by design or if Peterman can't play that side. Though, he'd have to be pretty stupid if it were the case that he simply couldn't pick up RG.

Derinyar

Reaction score
Woods said:
I was hoping that IF LA was not with the team for whatever reason in 2006, that perhaps Peterman could be a potential replacement.

But I agree, with no regular season experience, it's difficult for us fans to form any intelligent opinion on Peterman's ability or lack thereof.

I guess we'll have to listen to the "murmers" from Valley Ranch on Peterman's development.
I'm not sure I'm a big fan of the idea of Peterman being handed a starting spot.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
All I heard listening to the talk shows last training camp was that Parcells and the coaching staff were very high on Peterman. If something happened to change Parcells' mind during the season, I don't know what it would be.

Now Peterman did have a very serious knee blowout, with all three ligaments damaged, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't 100% until sometime during the year. Training camp was less than a year from when he got his knee shredded in, what, the next-to-last preseason game of 2004.

It is true that Peterman is a limited athlete, so like Parcells said, he has to be technically precise to not get into trouble. So maybe Parcells wanted to keep him in one place so he could work on his technique. But the guy is a tough, tough, brawler like Parcells seems to like.

Personally, I think Peterman was stuck at LG so he could be groomed all year in case LA doesn't come back, for whatever reason. I still think he can be a good player for us.

sad_otter

Reaction score
Peterman's technique definitely improved last year -- his wide body allows him to warm more square inches of bench than the average scrub.