Video: Did Kellen Moore get help with Run game?

quickccc

Reaction score

i've been noticing that not only are our RBs being more involved and designed into the pass game
nowadays (vs just mere dump offs) ... but the run game design seems more different and downhill than
what seemed previously under Kellen Moore, ..

Zeke/Pollard are getting a chance to get handoffs from the QB under center. This benefits the RBs getting quicker lane vision, in-out of the hole of the OL

Look like it was too much draw-play, delay draws .. but it's more under center an downhill, i tend to wonder if and how much suggestion help has kellen had to improve the Rn game and RB in pass game

..we've been running more 12 Personnel with 2 TEs ..and that has me wondering.... if we will stay with 2 TE offense with Shultz and Jarwin ..? .
... or when WR Michael Gallup returns, will we go back more to the 3 WR , 11 Personnel packages ?

o_O

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The 12 personnel stretches the defense out making it hard to chase down a ball carrier from the backside. Most defenses respond by putting a safety near the line of scrimmage.

It's always better for the RB when he can get a running start before taking the hand-off. He can see the play develope better also. So a QB under center is a big help to the run game.

MM giving more advice as a play caller is just a head coach being a head coach. I remember seeing Garrett on the sideline shaking his head as Moore was calling plays in to the QB. Made me wonder what was going on between those two?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
The 12 personnel stretches the defense out making it hard to chase down a ball carrier from the backside. Most defenses respond by putting a safety near the line of scrimmage.

It's always better for the RB when he can get a running start before taking the hand-off. He can see the play develope better also. So a QB under center is a big help to the run game.

MM giving more advice as a play caller is just a head coach being a head coach. I remember seeing Garrett on the sideline shaking his head as Moore was calling plays in to the QB. Made me wonder what was going on between those two?

Don't think Garrett ever liked his play-calling duties being stripped away. He clearly believes in his offensive philosophy and we continued to follow it with both Linehan and Moore.

As an offensive-minded coach, I think McCarthy having some input on that side of the ball is a given. He's allowing Moore to be the play-caller, but his influences are meshed into the scheme we're running.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

i've been noticing that not only are our RBs being more involved and designed into the pass game
nowadays (vs just mere dump offs) ... but the run game design seems more different and downhill than

Zeke/Pollard are getting a chance to get handoffs from the QB under center. This benefits the RBs getting quicker lane vision, in-out of the hole of the OL

Look like it was too much draw-play, delay draws .. but it's more under center an downhill, i tend to wonder if and how much suggestion help has kellen had to improve the Rn game and RB in pass game

..we've been running more 12 Personnel with 2 TEs ..and that has me wondering.... if we will stay with 2 TE offense with Shultz and Jarwin ..? .
... or when WR Michael Gallup returns, will we go back more to the 3 WR , 11 Personnel packages ?

o_O

It's no secret MM and KM collaborate on these schemes. Maybe what you are picking up on is more of MM and less KM.

Loso86

Reaction score

o_O

He's learning how to play to our strengths. It's g8ve and take. The best teams and SB teams are balanced.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Under Garrett, Kellen had complete creative control of the offense, per Jerry Jones.

Today, the only thing that's changed is MM being here.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes. I’ve posted many times some of the plays we run are same plays I saw GB run when MM was there. Especially the run game.

maybe a few suggestions and twinked ideas but i can still tell it's not quite MM who preferred john kuhn FB (whom i thought Ralstom could be that)
and MM preferred and frequently used the split back formation....2 RBs.. with no TEs,,

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Don't think Garrett ever liked his play-calling duties being stripped away. He clearly believes in his offensive philosophy and we continued to follow it with both Linehan and Moore.

As an offensive-minded coach, I think McCarthy having some input on that side of the ball is a given. He's allowing Moore to be the play-caller, but his influences are meshed into the scheme we're running.

That is the downfall of Garrett. He loved his plain vanilla offense and forced it onto his assistants like Moore and onto his QB, Dak Prescott.

He didn't care if that style of offense doesn't fit with the skillset of the player. He is too stubborn to the point he will crash and burn because of it.

At least McCarthy is willing to admit that he needed to change. He has adapted to the modern style of an NFL offense. While Garrett has fallen to an all time low with his pathetic vanilla playbook.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Yes. I’ve posted many times some of the plays we run are same plays I saw GB run when MM was there. Especially the run game.

The out of pocket improvisation plays where he is hitting his target in stride is McCarthy's playbook.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would believe the biggest changes in the running game are

1) Healthier O-line. Last year I don't care what scheme you ran these guys had to earn every yard.
2) Full offseason. I think this gets severely forgotten, but with the offseason being mostly virtual it was really tough to install much new to the offense. Last year was essentially a continuation of the Garrett offense with some moderate changes. This year we are really seeing the full jump.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I know McCarthy emphasized running the ball more heading into the season. I think Moore has been creative on how we run the ball, for instance the hand off to Zeke and then Zeke pitching it out to Pollard was a play that help put a game away earlier in the season.

Zman5

Reaction score
maybe a few suggestions and twinked ideas but i can still tell it's not quite MM who preferred john kuhn FB (whom i thought Ralstom could be that)
and MM preferred and frequently used the split back formation....2 RBs.. with no TEs,,

Fat Mike when in GB used to run the backside runs we use with two tight ends and the play where CD being used as a RB was also used a lot in GB with Randal Cobb.

Cowboyny

Reaction score

o_O

MM stated in training camp, he wanted the run the football and be more balanced, this is what is happening this season. It also helps when you aren't playing from behind as much.

quickccc

Reaction score
I know McCarthy emphasized running the ball more heading into the season. I think Moore has been creative on how we run the ball, for instance the hand off to Zeke and then Zeke pitching it out to Pollard was a play that help put a game away earlier in the season.

I would believe the biggest changes in the running game are

1) Healthier O-line. Last year I don't care what scheme you ran these guys had to earn every yard.
2) Full offseason. I think this gets severely forgotten, but with the offseason being mostly virtual it was really tough to install much new to the offense. Last year was essentially a continuation of the Garrett offense with some moderate changes. This year we are really seeing the full jump.

We were 5th in NFL in rushing in 2019, Kellen's first and rookie year as OC.,..so we were already balanced..
But having a more healthier OL, a more stronger emphasis on using Pollard more, and lessening and what i believe,.... , how much is due to McCarthy, Kellen,
.. or even consultant Ben McAdoo (per design) it's definitely helping this team immensely.

- It's not that we're running the ball more that's impressing me,....... it's the design, .. the run scheme that it is impressing me; it's how we are scheming to run the ball.
Much is talked about the lack of power with Williams and Tyler in middle, but it's not hampering this run game.

- Even when we know Jarwin is not a big blocker....but they trust him to be in the 12 personnel 2 TE offense. to which Schultz is feasting off teams boxed in on creeping up to the line
to stop the run., with roll outs and soft zone catches.

- We were 5th in NFL in rushing in 2019, Kellen's first and rookie year as OC, so we were already balanced. - but we still were not doing anything like running downhill,
taking handoff deep from QB under center,.. on a frequent basis..

- And you're right,.. having a much more healthier OL, (knock on wood with Tyron Smith) .a much better run scheme, .... a more stronger emphasis on using Pollard more,.
.. and lesser body toll on Zeke, and .a greater emphasis on using RBs in pass game,.. it's definitely helping this team immensely.
. , how much is due to McCarthy, Kellen, Mussheimer... or even consultant Ben McAdoo (per design) is to be determined.

- These are the offseason plans, designs and schemes we don't see on the sidelines during games, but there's no question, imo, that
there was more than one coach working the coaches meetings and film room, that is paying off major dividends during this win stretch of the reg. season.

quickccc

Reaction score
MM stated in training camp, he wanted the run the football and be more balanced, this is what is happening this season. It also helps when you aren't playing from behind as much.

yeh, it's definitely helping now, that we're not running into the previous notorious slow starts that haunted us so much in the past
Even when we were No.1 in total yards in 2019.

We still have to get the kinks out with the red zone issues, but we are still among the very top in terms of scoring offenses in the NFL

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Under Garrett, Kellen had complete creative control of the offense, per Jerry Jones.

Today, the only thing that's changed is MM being here.

I have trouble buying that since our offense looked a lot like Garrett's with some motion added. And then when we looked like we were starting to get more creative, it got reined in for some reason. The numbers were ultimately pretty good, but my argument against Garrett's philosophy hasn't been that it doesn't work at all, but simply that it can only take an offense as far as the talent it has. Talent plus creativity equals greater success.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
yeh, it's definitely helping now, that we're not running into the previous notorious slow starts that haunted us so much in the past
Even when we were No.1 in total yards in 2019.

We still have to get the kinks out with the red zone issues, but we are still among the very top in terms of scoring offenses in the NFL
Yes, redzone needs to get better as well as self-induced penalties.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

o_O

It may just be that this is really the first year Moore truly has control. I think Garrett probably restricted him and didn't let him stray too much from the previous offense, and last year there were no OTAs or preseason games, and a limited training camp. He got to start with a much cleaner slate this year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

o_O

-Anyone that didnt like Moore was wrong
-Anyone that said Moore was pass happy was wrong
-Anyone that said Moore wasnt using Zeke correctly was wrong
-Anyone that said Moore didnt know how to design run plays was wrong
-Anyone that said Moore was bad at calling plays in the redzone was wrong
-Anyone that said Moore didnt pass over the middle of the endzone in the redzone was wrong.

Anyone that says we should let Moore walk instead of MM will be wrong.