Did Roy Williams Improve or is Dez making him look good?

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
hra8700;3603461 said:
Roy Williams 2010 stats by formation:

2 wide receivers: 0 catches 0 yards 3 targets
3 wide receivers: 8 catches 142 yards 12 targets
4+ wide receivers: 4 catches 49 yards 5 targets

60% completions, zero drops!!! CORRECTION he did have drops, anytime he was target 12 times and he caught 8 pass and 4 for 5 with four receivers.

Dez Bryant 2010 stats by formation:

2 wide receivers: 2 catches 28 yards 4 targets
3 wide receivers: 8 catches 105 yards 13 targets
4+ wide receivers: 3 catches 25 yards 3 targets

70% completions, zero drops Correction I did see Dez Bryant drop a pass or two this year when he got hit. He was targeted 17 times and caught 13 passes...

Miles Austin 2010 stats by formation:

2 wide receivers: 9 catches 98 yards 11 targets
3 wide receivers: 12 catches 180 yards 15 targets
4+ wide receivers: 1 catches 30 yards 2 targets

79% completions, 2 drops

It looks like Roy is a good #3. for us, but he still can't do anything as a #2. Austin is doing it alone. I think we might need to get Dez in those 2 receiver sets ASAP.

CORRECTION THAT'S ALL

Stautner

Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;3603583 said:
CORRECTION THAT'S ALL

The fact that he didn't catch a pass everytime he was targeted does not mean he had drops. They could have been off target passes or passes that a DB knoocked away.

Cover 2

Pessimists Unite!!!
Reaction score
RealCowboyfan;3603583 said:
CORRECTION THAT'S ALL
Are you saying that because he only caught 8 of 12 in 3 receiver sets that means he had 4 drops?

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Roy lost his confidence last season because the media didn't give him a chance and were looking to bash him on any play they could get. That led to the fans following suit and stuff like that can get into your mind.

I say that because we know:

1. Roy worked extremely hard last offseason.

2. Roy has always had great hands.

The questions with Roy was could he consistently get the separation (he had the speed, but getting separation was another thing), could he run routes correctly, and was he mentally tough enough to be the #1 WR the entire year.

But his hands were never an issue in the slightest. In fact, he was known for making incredible catches. And you figure if he worked really hard like he did last offseason, he'd have a nice year.

Instead he looked awful and dropped a ton of passes that a junior high WR wouldn't drop.

I think he worked hard again and studied his weaknesses a bit more. The book on Roy was he's not tough between the numbers. He's made some very tough catches betwen the numbers already this year.

He's also made some good decisions. It's still a weakspot of sorts for him.

The fact is that I highly doubt Roy will ever be worth what Dallas gave up for him but even if he was or was close to it, the media was set to dog him anyway. They like to do that with WR's down here as they are making the Dez buying dinner thing look like the worst thing since Madoff stole money.

I'm sure drafting Dez has added some fuel to the fire, but Roy has worked hard since he got here and is finally getting his confidence back.

YR

Stautner

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3603597 said:
Roy lost his confidence last season because the media didn't give him a chance and were looking to bash him on any play they could get. That led to the fans following suit and stuff like that can get into your mind.

I say that because we know:

1. Roy worked extremely hard last offseason.

2. Roy has always had great hands.

The questions with Roy was could he consistently get the separation (he had the speed, but getting separation was another thing), could he run routes correctly, and was he mentally tough enough to be the #1 WR the entire year.

But his hands were never an issue in the slightest. In fact, he was known for making incredible catches. And you figure if he worked really hard like he did last offseason, he'd have a nice year.

Instead he looked awful and dropped a ton of passes that a junior high WR wouldn't drop.

I think he worked hard again and studied his weaknesses a bit more. The book on Roy was he's not tough between the numbers. He's made some very tough catches betwen the numbers already this year.

He's also made some good decisions. It's still a weakspot of sorts for him.

The fact is that I highly doubt Roy will ever be worth what Dallas gave up for him but even if he was or was close to it, the media was set to dog him anyway. They like to do that with WR's down here as they are making the Dez buying dinner thing look like the worst thing since Madoff stole money.

I'm sure drafting Dez has added some fuel to the fire, but Roy has worked hard since he got here and is finally getting his confidence back.

YR

If the media causes Roy to lose confidence, then his confidence is pretty fragile.

The fact is Roy's career was up and down before he came to Dallas. Maybe some had to do with playing for the Lions, although throwing the ball was the one thing the Lions did pretty well.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cowboysfan570;3603489 said:
If you watched him this year, you already should know the answer. Hes coming in and out of his breaks much quicker, which is helping him immensely. Hes also getting off the ball quicker.

Yep... His technique has dramatically improved.

hra8700

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3603543 said:
The #3 is considered the slot WR position the #3 CB? is a slot corner. RW is not lining up in the slot he is not a 3 WR. Normally you call them X Y and Z WR Roy normally is lined up in the X WR position

Yeah, I figured that too, but some teams move corners around, especially since we have Austin lined up in the slot, I figured some teams may have moved their #1 to the slot on those plays. Not sure if any of the teams we played did.

It was just a thought.

I agree though, Roy is playing better, because his production in 3 receiver sets wasn't even good last year. But I'm not sure he's a good #2 even now.

hra8700

Reaction score
Stautner;3603548 said:
You have to keep in mind that probably in 2 WR sets we are probably running more, and we may be targeting one of the 2 TE's in the game more.

33/128 passes were in 2 receiver sets. Roy was targeted 3 times for 0 completions.

It is a small sample size, but I wonder if that will go up...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
hra8700;3603616 said:
Yeah, I figured that too, but some teams move corners around, especially since we have Austin lined up in the slot, I figured some teams may have moved their #1 to the slot on those plays. Not sure if any of the teams we played did.

It was just a thought.

I agree though, Roy is playing better, because his production in 3 receiver sets wasn't even good last year. But I'm not sure he's a good #2 even now.

Roy is playing better because he is doing things better plain and simple

Stautner

Reaction score
hra8700;3603623 said:
33/128 passes were in 2 receiver sets. Roy was targeted 3 times for 0 completions.

It is a small sample size, but I wonder if that will go up...

So we are only throwing 26% of our passes in 2 WR sets, and 45% of those passes are going to TE's/RB's - people other than Roy/Mile/Dez. Just seems like 2 WR sets aren't used to target WR's in general a whole lot.

hra8700

Reaction score
Stautner;3603643 said:
So we are only throwing 26% of our passes in 2 WR sets, and 45% of those passes are going to TE's/RB's - people other than Roy/Mile/Dez. Just seems like 2 WR sets aren't used to target WR's in general a whole lot.

True, but TE's and RB's are often checkdown options.