Did the coaches screw up Henson?

Z-Man

Reaction score
If Romo beats out Henson more power to him. But I think it's no coincidence that Parcells & Co. revamp Henson's throwing motion (one he used his whole life) and suddenly he becomes weak armed and innaccurate .

Reading all the camp notes.........it just sounds nothing like the Henson I remember. The guy had a rocket for an arm and was super accuarate. I'm concerned he'll never learn to throw over the top and will be another ex-baseball QB bust.

I really had high hopes for the guy...........

Zman5

Reaction score
Maybe his arms are too tired from throwing 5000 passes a day during off season.

BTW, nice screen name. :)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Z-Man said:
If Romo beats out Henson more power to him. But I think it's no coincidence that Parcells & Co. revamp Henson's throwing motion (one he used his whole life) and suddenly he becomes weak armed and innaccurate .

Reading all the camp notes.........it just sounds nothing like the Henson I remember. The guy had a rocket for an arm and was super accuarate. I'm concerned he'll never learn to throw over the top and will be another ex-baseball QB bust.

I really had high hopes for the guy...........

I don't think that is the case at all, I do think the change is having an effect but as Henson continues I do think that he will come around, the changes have been described as a slight change nothing major. I consider it one step back to make 2 steps forward. I see no reason at this stage to give up on Henson. Myself I still have high hopes for him, although I seem to be one of a handful of fans who is in no hurry to throw Henson out there

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
He's just playing with no confidence right now. He's thinking too hard. Instead of dropping back and diagnosing the play, but I bet he's dropping back and wondering if his arm is cocked right, making sure his elbow is up, etc.

I don't think his early struggles mean he's "done." Every good, bad, great, or horrible player enters a crossroad at one point -- what they do there determines their future. Henson is at an early crossroads right now. A few weeks from now, does he look much improved with a good throwing motion? Or does he continue wilting as he is thinking too hard? Who really knows.

The good news is none of this necessarily matters 'right now.' One reason the staff may have felt comfortable tinkering with his motion was because they knew they wouldn't be counting on him this year. I think this is one of many reasons Parcells didn't go with him last year, or this year. He's just go soo much work to do to become a competent player. The tools are there, but oh so much work needs to be done.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
tHERE IS MORE TO THIS GAME THAN HAVING AN ARM. mENTAL ASPECTS - Henson has a lot of catching up to do. Many had unrealistic expectatons.

rw54

Reaction score
The QB coach (can't remember his name) said he did the same thing to Romo's motion last year. Is it a coincidence that both have opened camp after this change poorly? Romo was bad last year but worked through it and is now throwing better than ever. Henson will work through it. Patience Grasshopper.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
He'll get thru the 'over-think" mode. It's a natural step in learning or relearning.

I think by the last preseason game we see he has become more comfortable again.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Dale said:
He's just playing with no confidence right now. He's thinking too hard. Instead of dropping back and diagnosing the play, but I bet he's dropping back and wondering if his arm is cocked right, making sure his elbow is up, etc.

I don't think his early struggles mean he's "done." Every good, bad, great, or horrible player enters a crossroad at one point -- what they do there determines their future. Henson is at an early crossroads right now. A few weeks from now, does he look much improved with a good throwing motion? Or does he continue wilting as he is thinking too hard? Who really knows.

The good news is none of this necessarily matters 'right now.' One reason the staff may have felt comfortable tinkering with his motion was because they knew they wouldn't be counting on him this year. I think this is one of many reasons Parcells didn't go with him last year, or this year. He's just go soo much work to do to become a competent player. The tools are there, but oh so much work needs to be done.

Well put, I am thinking along the same lines.

Plus, I think he might be trying too hard, to win the job, not even the backup, probably starting and pressing too much.

I guess we have to see how this plays out. But I am sure quite a few fans already cut him and annointed Tyson Thompson ready to replace JJ too :D

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Generally, all young QB's have to change their mechanics and footwork. If this "ruins" him, then he wasn't going to make it anyway.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Generally, all young QB's have to change their mechanics and footwork. If this "ruins" him, then he wasn't going to make it anyway.

Let's see how Henson plays in the games. I have no problem letting him sit out another season.

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
I agree with the confidence thing. Also, Romo looks very good and there is more pressure on Henson. I believe Romo will back up Bledsoe, always though he was the better of the two.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
They didn't screw up Henson. He has a side arm motion. Can't have that unless you want your passes batted down at the LOS. Not saying it's gonna happen everytime, hopefully he'll have lanes to use there. The over-hand is essential to a passing game getting past (over) the DL and for the deep throws. Now we've all seen Elway sling it from the hip but he used that wisely in the right circumstance.

JDSmith

Reaction score
We've got Bledsoe, so I think we're going to be OK at the position this year. They revamped Romo's motion two years ago, and I seem to recall him sucking bad that preseason. It takes guys time to adjust, I'm sure Henson will be fine long term. I also think he'll get progressively better during camp and come around before the season starts.

Wimbo

Reaction score
You mean the Yankee's coaches? I would say yes, absolutely.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
The only thing the coaches screwed up on was wasting a 3rd round pick on a 6th round QB with very little experience playing at a high level. The Henson jock-riding has gone overboard and too many fans expected great things - unrealisticaly - based on an old scouting report.

Having said that, I am not 100% confident that Tony Romo is the answer at the #2 spot either. I really think that Parcells needs to look at bringing in a 3rd option at the back up QB spot.

In the unfortunate event that Bledsoe goes down, I don't want to rely on either of those guys. Though I do think that Romo has a better head for the NFL game based on his experience and accomplishment. And I'm confident that he would make better game decisions than Henson. But that isn't saying a whole heck of a lot.

Parcells should really consider finding another option here. I understand wanting to get these guys reps, but I'd really hate to see a season with as much potential as this one has ruined because of an inexperienced QB and the mistakes that come with these young guys.

Sure, Drew Bledsoe has shown durability throughout his career, but this is a rough game and things happen. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the position if we had another option.

I'm in QB need, please don't let Drew Bledsoe bleed.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
thats7 said:
They didn't screw up Henson. He has a side arm motion. Can't have that unless you want your passes batted down at the LOS. Not saying it's gonna happen everytime, hopefully he'll have lanes to use there. The over-hand is essential to a passing game getting past (over) the DL and for the deep throws. Now we've all seen Elway sling it from the hip but he used that wisely in the right circumstance.

Agreed.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
The only thing the coaches screwed up on was wasting a 3rd round pick on a 6th round QB with very little experience playing at a high level. The Henson jock-riding has gone overboard and too many fans expected great things - unrealisticaly - based on an old scouting report.

Having said that, I am not 100% confident that Tony Romo is the answer at the #2 spot either. I really think that Parcells needs to look at bringing in a 3rd option at the back up QB spot.

In the unfortunate event that Bledsoe goes down, I don't want to rely on either of those guys. Though I do think that Romo has a better head for the NFL game based on his experience and accomplishment. And I'm confident that he would make better game decisions than Henson. But that isn't saying a whole heck of a lot.

Parcells should really consider finding another option here. I understand wanting to get these guys reps, but I'd really hate to see a season with as much potential as this one has ruined because of an inexperienced QB and the mistakes that come with these young guys.

Sure, Drew Bledsoe has shown durability throughout his career, but this is a rough game and things happen. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with the position if we had another option.

I'm in QB need, please don't let Drew Bledsoe bleed.

Welp.....BP has a lot of confidence in something. Either one of the backups or the OL.