Did the NFL make the Giants play their starters?

Richmond Cowboy

Reaction score
I was just thinking, why would the Giants play all their starters the entire game last night. Did they truly want to prevent the Patriots from going undefeated? After O'Hara got hurt I was sure they would start pulling their starters. Could the league have put pressure on the Giants to be competitive given the tremendous buildup to the game and the fact that it was on NFLN?

CowboyBlog

Reaction score
It was stupid for them to play their starters. Plaxico has been hurt all year and could have had two weeks off to prepare for the playoffs.

They must have recieved a memo or something to play the way they did. It ended bad for them, but it could have been alot worse.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
they are now going into the playoffs after playing some good ball. their confidence probably raised a bit.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
It benifits us in the long run because this is going to be our first round match up. I have had this feel for like a month now.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I believe the situation dictated the giants playing their starters as much as they did. They were winning until early 4th quarter and had a chance to make a huge upset to make a football history. But after Eli throw an INT, all starters should have been pulled because it was over with that INT.

SacredStar

Reaction score
I really believe the Giants wanted to stop the undefeated run by New England.

But more than that, they wanted to win to get some respect. They know that most analysts and fans don't really think the Giants are legit. Their play is so inconsistent that many have questioned just how good that team is.

By beating New England, they would have received enormous air time from the media, and respect from the fans and the league.

Even though they lost the game, I think they got want they wanted......respect.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Does the league have any 'legal' avenues to be able to put pressure on the Gaints to play thier starters? HOw would the league inforce such demand?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1864926 said:
It was stupid for them to play their starters. Plaxico has been hurt all year and could have had two weeks off to prepare for the playoffs.

They must have recieved a memo or something to play the way they did. It ended bad for them, but it could have been alot worse.

No, I think it was important for them to play their best possible game -- now they go into the playoffs knowing they can play with the best. That's very important.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Coughlin can be second guessed having lost 3 starters. If they had been playing anyone other than a 15-0 Patriots team they would have rested.

Did you see the crowd? That was almost playoff football atmosphere. I think long term he sent a signal to his team that we will play with anyone and at end of day they were in that game leading late. It was the right move.

Coughlin is of the Parcells tree and is old school. He made BB earn the perfect season.

CowboyBlog

Reaction score
abersonc;1864968 said:
No, I think it was important for them to play their best possible game -- now they go into the playoffs knowing they can play with the best. That's very important.

Would that have still been important if they lost or dinged up Buress, manning, and Jacobs to injuries in that game?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1865132 said:
Would that have still been important if they lost or dinged up Buress, manning, and Jacobs to injuries in that game?

No. The important thing if Manning went out would be that they would have a chance to not fall apart in crunch time. :p:

The Panch

Reaction score
CowboyBlog;1865132 said:
But they didnt and that's all that matters.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The Giants went for it.

It was the right thing to do.

There is no crying in football.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy;1864911 said:
I was just thinking, why would the Giants play all their starters the entire game last night. Did they truly want to prevent the Patriots from going undefeated? After O'Hara got hurt I was sure they would start pulling their starters. Could the league have put pressure on the Giants to be competitive given the tremendous buildup to the game and the fact that it was on NFLN?

Who cares, the Giants choked just like usual.

Once they started that conservative crap, I said yep, game over. Ellie-Mae didnt dissappoint.:lmao:

stag hunter

Hater
Reaction score
Richmond Cowboy;1864911 said:
/QUOTE]

No.