Did you just make that up?

Lonestar94

Reaction score
Didn't understand anything OP said. I guess some people aren't cut out to post on online forums....

Hoods

Reaction score
And we would all think our TV is broken if we saw a 7-1 score

That can't happen. The scoring team will have at least six points before attempting an extra point or two-point conversion.

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
I actually remember (I'm pretty sure) that free kick after a punt happening at the end of the Landry era...

The first I heard of it was at the end if the bobbled snap game. After the Cowboys forced Seattle to punt from deep in their own territory, the announcers made the comment that Newman could call a fair catch, they could place the ball where he caught it, and Grammatica could have a free kick from that spot. Of course, the punt went out of bounds, so they had to run a play, and time ran out. Just one of many things that went against us at the end of that game.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
As long as the game has been played there are still a few that you just have to say.." You kidding"?

Still some time to discuss these crazy ones so we are versed when it comes time for kickoff.

what else you got?

Well, there's the fair catch kick. When a team calls for a fair catch, it has the option of taking an undefended field goal, rather than putting the ball into play from scrimmage. One person holds the ball at the spot of the fair catch, and the kicker kicks it. The defense has to stand at least 10 yards downfield and can't rush the kicker.

The conversion safety is a good one, too. On an extra point, if the defense somehow ends up with the ball and gets tackled with it in their own end zone, the kicking team gets a 1-point safety.

Is it this post or the shrooms?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
As long as the game has been played there are still a few that you just have to say.." You kidding"?

Still some time to discuss these crazy ones so we are versed when it comes time for kickoff.

what else you got?

Well, there's the fair catch kick. When a team calls for a fair catch, it has the option of taking an undefended field goal, rather than putting the ball into play from scrimmage. One person holds the ball at the spot of the fair catch, and the kicker kicks it. The defense has to stand at least 10 yards downfield and can't rush the kicker.

The conversion safety is a good one, too. On an extra point, if the defense somehow ends up with the ball and gets tackled with it in their own end zone, the kicking team gets a 1-point safety.

I didn't know the specifics of the conversion safety. Cool OP and thanks for the info!

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Is it this post or the shrooms?
Shrooms be damned...i'm catching up to speed .you guys can't leave anything up to common sense..It has to be spelled out like you are talking to a 3rd grader. its all good....I will adjust and overcome.

lol....

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
seriously.... there's no way.....never mind. i guess many years.... separates the obvious from the "holy crap" please no way i can interpret his any other way. ~ takes long breath~..really?

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2013 - Rule Book.pdf

RESULTS OF A TRY

Article 2: Results of a Try. During a Try, the following shall apply:
OFFICIAL NFL PLAYING RULES 57
(a) If a kick results in a field goal by the offense, one point is awarded. An artificial or manufactured tee shall not be
permitted to assist in the execution of a Try-kick. (The conditions of 11-4-1 must be met.) The ball is dead as soon as
it becomes evident that the kick has failed.
(b) If a Try results in a touchdown by the offense, two points are awarded. If a touchdown is not scored, the Try is over at
the end of the play.
(c) If the defense gains possession, the ball is dead immediately. The defensive team cannot score during a Try.
(d) If there is no kick, and the Try results in what would ordinarily be a safety against the defense, one point is awarded
to the offensive team.

(e) If any play results in a touchback, the Try is unsuccessful, and there shall be no replay.
A.R. 11.3 An attempted Try-kick is blocked. Offensive A1 recovers behind the line and advances across the goal line or recovers in
defense’s end zone.
Ruling: No score in either case. The ball is dead as soon as its failure as a kick to score a Try is evident.
A.R. 11.4 During a Try, placekick holder A1 fumbles. B1 kicks, bats, or muffs the loose ball (new impetus) on his two-yard line and it
goes out of bounds behind the goal line.
Ruling: Ordinarily a safety (11-5-1). Award one point.

joseephuss

Reaction score
PUTTING BALL IN PLAY AFTER FAIR CATCH
Article 4 After a fair catch is made, or is awarded as the result of fair-catch interference, the receiving team has the option
of putting the ball in play by either:
(a) a fair-catch kick (drop kick or placekick without a tee) from the spot of the catch (or the succeeding spot after
enforcement of any applicable penalties) (3-10-1 and 11-4-3), or

(b) a snap from the spot of the catch (or the succeeding spot after enforcement of any applicable penalties).
Note: A receiver may make or be awarded a fair catch in his end zone. If there is fair-catch interference or illegal contact with
the receiver after he has made a fair catch, the 15-yard penalty is enforced from the receiver’s 20-yard line, and the option
for a fair-catch kick is awarded.

EXTENSION OF A PERIOD
Article 5 If time expires during a play in which a player has signaled for a fair catch, the following shall apply:
(a) If the player makes a fair catch, the receiving team may elect to extend the period with a fair-catch kick, but does not
have the option to extend the period by a snap from scrimmage.

(b) If the kicking team interferes with a receiver who has signaled for a fair catch, the receiving team will be awarded a
15-yard penalty and the option to extend the period by attempting a fair-catch kick or by a snap from scrimmage.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/2013 - Rule Book.pdf

RESULTS OF A TRY
Article 2: Results of a Try. During a Try, the following shall apply:
OFFICIAL NFL PLAYING RULES 57
(a) If a kick results in a field goal by the offense, one point is awarded. An artificial or manufactured tee shall not be
permitted to assist in the execution of a Try-kick. (The conditions of 11-4-1 must be met.) The ball is dead as soon as
it becomes evident that the kick has failed.
(b) If a Try results in a touchdown by the offense, two points are awarded. If a touchdown is not scored, the Try is over at
the end of the play.
(c) If the defense gains possession, the ball is dead immediately. The defensive team cannot score during a Try.
(d) If there is no kick, and the Try results in what would ordinarily be a safety against the defense, one point is awarded
to the offensive team.

(e) If any play results in a touchback, the Try is unsuccessful, and there shall be no replay.
A.R. 11.3 An attempted Try-kick is blocked. Offensive A1 recovers behind the line and advances across the goal line or recovers in
defense’s end zone.
Ruling: No score in either case. The ball is dead as soon as its failure as a kick to score a Try is evident.
A.R. 11.4 During a Try, placekick holder A1 fumbles. B1 kicks, bats, or muffs the loose ball (new impetus) on his two-yard line and it
goes out of bounds behind the goal line.
Ruling: Ordinarily a safety (11-5-1). Award one point.

So TO, ball recovered, but then retreated back into the endzone either by defender or 'second' TO (strip, etc.) Odd they wouldn't reward the two points to the O in that scenario...I guess rewarding the TO?

joseephuss

Reaction score
So TO, ball recovered, but then retreated back into the endzone either by defender or 'second' TO (strip, etc.) Odd they wouldn't reward the two points to the O in that scenario...I guess rewarding the TO?

No, the play would be over as soon as the defense recovered the ball. If you look at their example, they talk about the defense illegally batting, kicking or muffing the ball. It is mostly going to come down to some type of penalty related issue that results in a safety.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
No, the play would be over as soon as the defense recovered the ball. If you look at their example, they talk about the defense illegally batting, kicking or muffing the ball. It is mostly going to come down to some type of penalty related issue that results in a safety.

That just whiffed over my head, appreciate you clarifying:D I saw the C point but thought that they were implying the 2 pt attempt using "Try" in the D scenario:confused: Thanks

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Shrooms be damned...i'm catching up to speed .you guys can't leave anything up to common sense..It has to be spelled out like you are talking to a 3rd grader. its all good....I will adjust and overcome.

lol....

If only 3rd graders you should half it so good, Sheldon.

Lissen Mister there are peeps here from Farmers Branch and South Oak Cliff and Waco!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

lol....

Be bold:mad:, be inquisitiveo_O, be incisive:mad:, be concise (naw), be pithy:D, be concerned:eek:
Also resist authority it work for me. Hey, whateryoudoin' . . . why you cutting me of . . . .!!