Direct TV and ESPN dispute

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Disney owner of ESPN and ABC are in discussions on a new agreement . Direct TV has suspended their services on all ESPN networks which includes SEC and ACC networks .

Some of us thought this would be resolved by now but there’s no indication it’s getting closer. Good news is there are some alternatives .

First of all customers can call and receive a $20 credit . And if you call each month can continue receiving the credit . In addition you can save much more by reducing your package which includes the additional ESPN package.

And if you want to maintain basic service from DTV rather than dropping it totally and signing up for Hulu Live or Fubu there’s a much less expensive alternative.

Sling TV is offering and additional $10 discount for DTV customers to their normal $20 off of the first months service which is $40.

Sling TV basic Orange package has ESPN and ESPN 2. For an additional $11 Sports Package can receive ESPN News, ESPN U, SEC and ACC networks.

With this discount and $20 rebate from DTV I see it as no additional expense. At least for now. It’s a very reasonable temporary solution.

We’ve had disputes over local basic networks with DTV which haven’t lasted for more than a couple months. I can’t imagine DTV going very long without ESPN .

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
This actually has been going for what now 2-3 weeks? Amazing it was allowed to lapse w/o a deal right before Football season started. Called ATT this morning and got a 30$ credit on my next bill.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why does anyone still have satellite?

It’s more expensive and has few benefits over a streaming service like YoutubeTV.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I can’t imagine DTV going very long without ESPN .
It's the other way around, Disney can't go without Direct TV.

Direct TV is now majority owned by ATT who makes over 10 billion a year in profits where Disney last year actually loss 2 billion. Almost all of ATTs profits is coming from phone plans and internet so they can tell Disney to kick rocks, they don't need them

Disney can't afford to take a 200 million dollar a month loss which is why they caved earlier today and restored the channels. They where trying to strong arm Direct TV into offering large packages only where direct tv wanted the users to control pricing by offering skinny bundles.

It’s more expensive and has few benefits over a streaming service like YoutubeTV.
If I'm not mistaken majority of the current Direct TV and Uverse customers are now on Direct TV Stream.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The only reason I do is my sports cave where I have 5 TV’s along with laptop and IPad not including my living room and bedroom TV’s where I do use some streaming services which most limit how many devices at once .

It’s much easier to operate on DTV genies and unlimited devices I can use simultaneously. If I didn’t have a sports bar type set up I probably would have aborted DTV.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's the other way around, Disney can't go without Direct TV.

Direct TV is now majority owned by ATT who makes over 10 billion a year in profits where Disney last year actually loss 2 billion. Almost all of ATTs profits is coming from phone plans and internet so they can tell Disney to kick rocks, they don't need them

Disney can't afford to take a 200 million dollar a month loss which is why they caved earlier today and restored the channels. They where trying to strong arm Direct TV into offering large packages only where direct tv wanted the users to control pricing by offering skinny bundles.

If I'm not mistaken majority of the current Direct TV and Uverse customers are now on Direct TV Stream.
Thank goodness the hold out ended after only about 3 weeks . And Direct TV allowed a $20 credit and free Sports Package for rest of football season. I’ve been with DTV for about 25 years .

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thankfully, I don't watch much ABC/ESPN... But I have ESPN+, so the games I really want to watch, I've still been able to watch.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The benefit is a much much better picture qaulity. If you have a 4k tv , it is completely wasted on streaming tv. I have both but watch sporting events on the direct tv.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Disney: more money now

Directv: we don’t have it

Disney: money! Now!!!

Directv: we are cable, we can’t afford more money because people are streaming now.

Disney: charge more

Directv: genius! We charge more and just pay you a little. We both make money.