discussion on trades

Q_the_man

Reaction score
Why do people think trades are suppose to be even, I'm talking about point value board or whatever it is.

Now if I'm holding the 6th pick in the draft, and ur trying to trade up with me, u better believe I'm gonna get the better of the deal or no deal, for example for the 6th pick in the draft i should come out with no less then a first that same year of the draft (and not the last pick of the first either, no lower then maybe 24)and a 3rd, plus a first the next season, at the minimum and maybe a borderline young player i had my eye on, on ur team that's not getting enuff pt on ur team..........

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Q_the_man;1454977 said:
Why do people think trades are suppose to be even, I'm talking about point value board or whatever it is.

Now if I'm holding the 6th pick in the draft, and ur trying to trade up with me, u better believe I'm gonna get the better of the deal or no deal, for example for the 6th pick in the draft i should come out with no less then a first that same year of the draft (and not the last pick of the first either, no lower then maybe 24)and a 3rd, plus a first the next season, at the minimum and maybe a borderline young player i had my eye on, on ur team that's not getting enuff pt on ur team..........

I don't think they have to be even but I also don't think that the guy in the 6 hole has to get the better end of the deal. It may be him who wants to trade down and if so, then it may be the other party who gets the better end in the draft. Every deal is different. The art of negotiation is always interesting to watch. Basically, the point system is just a way of protecting yourself from making to big a mess out of any trade. When it comes right down to it, precieved value is what any trade is about. If a team believes that player A is the key to a championship, then maybe it's worth more to that team. If not, then maybe the any given trade is not worth as much. There is not right or wrong answer to this question. It is a matter of perception.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Q_the_man;1454977 said:

I doubt if many trades are exactly even, close but not exactly even.

I would guess that many area a few points off of the official chart and there are other times where they are very lopsided.

I would imagine the lopsided ones just don't happen often because teams just don't want to give up so much.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Q_the_man;1454977 said:

You have the 6th pick. (1600pt value) The guy you actually want will still be around at the 10th pick. (1300pt value) The team with the 10th pick in the draft wants the guy that you could draft at 6th. Instead of drafting this guy higher and paying more for him you could trade down to the 10th pick get him cheaper and get the other team to throw in their 28th pick in the second round (300pt value) The 10th overall pick plus the 28th pick (1300pt + 300pts = 1600pts) in the second round is equal to the 6th overall pick. This way the guy with the 6th pick gets what he wants and get the full value of his pick.

The trades are hardly ever point for point the same value. Sometimes it's only the reflected value as something other than draft choices is involved. (players, cash, or even future considerations)

ndanger

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1455211 said:
I doubt if many trades are exactly even, close but not exactly even.

I would guess that many area a few points off of the official chart and there are other times where they are very lopsided.

I would imagine the lopsided ones just don't happen often because teams just don't want to give up so much.

It would be cool to go back to the Hershel walker trade ,which was before the Jimmster came up with the point value idea, and try to figure out how that came out.i guess you really can't do it with trading an established player though huh.I'm a thinkin' it would be lopsided as hell though.:D

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Q_the_man;1454977 said:

are you drunk?

JaiRiid

Reaction score
It does kinda depend on the situation... Remember when the Giants traded a first at some other picks to move up three spots and then use and get Eli? A lot of us think it was bad to use two first round picks on Galloway, but Giants used two first rounds and then some on Eli and look what they got out of that... all this being said, trades just kinda depend on how much a team particularly want a player in that situation, which then again is a very obvious statement.

Tristan

Reaction score
The pick N.Y. gave S.D was used to draft Merriman I beleive.

Rivers & Merriman for Eli

I say S.D. schooled the Giants!, I personally would much rather have Rivers than Eli, let alone Merriman on top of that.