DL backups

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
From the rookie minicamp invites , will we be able to get any potential DE / DT back ups? We do need to get younger in DL as well as need to keep the veterans fresh as the season wears on ...

I think Crawford , Lissemore and Bass can be good backups, but DE is thin, Wilbur has to catch on fast and maybe Albright the all rounder has to firm up strong side DE backup spot. Still it would be nice to find some potential Dev guys and keep in practice squad.

Ip... Ig..... Looks like a strong DT, how did he look the first day?

blindzebra

Reaction score
nalam;5082351 said:
From the rookie minicamp invites , will we be able to get any potential DE / DT back ups? We do need to get younger in DL as well as need to keep the veterans fresh as the season wears on ...

I think Crawford , Lissemore and Bass can be good backups, but DE is thin, Wilbur has to catch on fast and maybe Albright the all rounder has to firm up strong side DE backup spot. Still it would be nice to find some potential Dev guys and keep in practice squad.

Keep an eye on Cameron Sheffield.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
nalam;5082351 said:

You're not going to have veterans at every position. We have two veteran defensive ends, and we have a rookie drafted in the fourth round who is going into his second year, and is now playing at his natural position. Crawford could also be in the mix at SDE (drafted 3rd in last year's draft).

I think it's funny how a lot people assume a rookie can start year 1, but a second year player who didn't start last year isn't even qualified to be a backup...

blindzebra

Reaction score
xwalker;5082360 said:
It would be good if you gave your reasons for this statement.

Here is one possible reason:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Fg_z-j49IB0

or this one
watch

Eskimo

Reaction score
blindzebra;5082355 said:
Keep an eye on Cameron Sheffield.

Why would we expect much from him? He has finished 3 seasons in the NFL and was a 5th round pick of the Chiefs back in 2010. He has mediocre size at 6-2.5 and 257 pounds and a 4.85 40.

He didn't play at all in his rookie season after injuring his neck in preseason. His second year he made 8 tackles and had 1 start. He was waived after the first week in the 2012 season to make room for Tamba Hali.

He was a bit productive at Troy and had 5 sacks in his Senior year but he wasn't really a dominant player which is what you're looking for in guys who come from small schools.

He'll be turning 25 this season so it's now or never for him.

I guess I just don't see much to get excited about with him.