DMN: Blog: A New-Man

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
November 2, 2007

A New-Man

When Anthony Henry went down on Sept. 30, and Terence Newman was forced back into the starting lineup, he made a sacrifice that few have taken take note of.

In an effort to keep Jacques Reeves comfortable, the team chose to move Newman to the right side. Generally, teams play their better corners on the left and, as such, that's where Newman has been throughout his career.
Newman's done it, but it hasn't been easy. In essence, he had to learn to throw left-handed.

"I hated the right side when I first started it," Newman said. "I mean, my whole body was used to playing on the left. I’d turn inside, to my right, when I was on the left side. So then, I had to retrain my bodywork to work on the right side and playing off so much.

"I’d turn, and it was uncomfortable. But now, it’s getting more comfortable to me. I hope I’m not screwed when I go back over to the left side."
Once Henry gets healthy, Newman will go back there. But he won't leave the right without taking some lessons with him.

"It’s good that I got that work, because we’re doing different things on that side and it allows me to use my body both ways," he said. "I think it’s gonna make me a better player."

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 5:11 PM (E-mail this entry)

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
TNew is the man!

Now he could play both side of the field, if needed.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
Reeves is one of our best corners [3rd in tackles, 1st in PD's]...so this is really helping the team.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
eduncan22;1741238 said:
Reeves is one of our best corners [3rd in tackles, 1st in PD's]...so this is really helping the team.
List top-3 CBs on the team, in order.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
eduncan22;1741238 said:

I don't think there's a question that it has been a blessing in some way that we've had some injuries in the secondary which have forced Reeves to jump in and play. It's been experience he couldn't get any other way. Now once Newman and Henry are out there on the edges and other teams go 3 wides against us, which is normally our weakness, we can drop Newman in the slot and Reeves can take an edge.

This is going to work out for us in the end.

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
Ozzu;1741316 said:
I don't think there's a question that it has been a blessing in some way that we've had some injuries in the secondary which have forced Reeves to jump in and play. It's been experience he couldn't get any other way. Now once Newman and Henry are out there on the edges and other teams go 3 wides against us, which is normally our weakness, we can drop Newman in the slot and Reeves can take an edge.

This is going to work out for us in the end.

I thought Reeves played well in the NE game. Aside from that one play where he got burned by Stallworth, I thought he played some nice press coverage against Moss.

You're right-he's not exactly a Pro Bowl caliber CB, but it won't surprise me if he gets a good number of offers by decent teams next year, and develop into a solid starting corner.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
BoysRule2;1741320 said:
I thought Reeves played well in the NE game. Aside from that one play where he got burned by Stallworth, I thought he played some nice press coverage against Moss.

You're right-he's not exactly a Pro Bowl caliber CB, but it won't surprise me if he gets a good number of offers by decent teams next year, and develop into a solid starting corner.

In this league right now, you've got to have at least 3 serviceable corners. If you don't, teams like the Patriots will spread you out and pick on the guy that doesn't belong on the field all day long. We need to resign the guy if he's not too expensive. It's too difficult to find a 3rd corner who doesn't absolutely suck.

BoysRule2

Benched
Reaction score
Ozzu;1741323 said:
In this league right now, you've got to have at least 3 serviceable corners. If you don't, teams like the Patriots will spread you out and pick on the guy that doesn't belong on the field all day long. We need to resign the guy if he's not too expensive. It's too difficult to find a 3rd corner who doesn't absolutely suck.

With all the talk how our secondary sucks, and the Eagles secondary is one of the best, you really have to think again.

Terrence Newman = Lito Shepherd

Sheldon Brown >= Anthony Henry(Brown is faster than Henry, but Henry has bigger size than Brown, so I guess it could be a wash)

Jacques Reeves > William James(Seriously-Reeves has gotten better, and James is nothing more than a wire waiver pickup-he was a bust with the NYG)

Roy Williams > Sean Considine(the latter has been getting exposed in pass coverage this year, and at least Roy is a better run stuffer than him)

Brian Dawkins > Ken Hamlin(although Dawkins has lost a step or 2)

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1741243 said:
List top-3 CBs on the team, in order.

well since nobody else wants to...

1. Newman
2. Henry
3. Reeves
4. Bobby Carpenter