WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Brooks Bollinger File: Troy Aikman, Phil Simms and some guy I know weigh in

9:27 AM Thu, Oct 30, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Horn E-mail News tips

Today I will try to get some folks in the know to weigh in on Brooks Bollinger vs. Brad Johnson. You know, get them to answer the most pressing question of the week. Who should start Sunday against the Giants?

Troy Aikman:

"Brad Johnson. It seems like a real stretch to think that Brooks Bollinger, after 10 career starts in six seasons and not having joined the Cowboys until September 8th, would be the best candidate to give the Cowboys a chance to win on Sunday against the defending World Champions.
Better mobility appears to be the primary argument on behalf of Brooks. I appreciate the fact that the game has changed in the eight years since I retired but I feel certain that there is more to playing QB in the NFL than escaping a pass rush."

Phil Simms:

"I would go with Brad without hesitation. His performance from the first game to the second game and his decision making were better. People say 'I love Brooks because he's more mobil.' Where's he going to run? He goes outside the pocket because he is not tall and he can not see downfield...
"I watched every play with Brad Johnson in the preseason and he beared up. He made plays. He had touch on the ball. He needs space to throw, He can't create his own space. It seems every time he throws now he is flicking the ball off his back foot. Tony Romo can move his feet and create that space."

But in the end Simms said:
"I'll say this when you have a good team like the Dallas Cowboys do, Brad should be your third-string quarterback."

Network TV type who is a longtime Jets season-ticket holder who has actually seen Bollinger start nine games for his beloved team.:

"Brooks Bollinger was probably the sorriest excuse for a quarterback the Jets have ever allowed to play in the Meadowlands this side of Rick Mirer."

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why I wanted Chris Simms .. or possibly Beck .. over Bollinger as a third QB with the idea he would move into the #2 slot at some point.

-Reality

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2384874 said:
DMN Blog: Aikman, Esiason weign in on Cowboys backup QBs

Arent there rules for misleading Thread titles??
Dont they apply to mods?....... or just regular "joe's"? :D

alby

Reaction score
I'm glad they didn't choose Brooks, it's just plain stupid to do so.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
YoMick;2384909 said:

She'll be punished later :D

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reality;2384896 said:
This is why I wanted Chris Simms .. or possibly Beck .. over Bollinger as a third QB with the idea he would move into the #2 slot at some point.

-Reality

This situation is a direct indictment of the knowledge and judgement of the coaching staff - specifically Jason Garrett.

He got the players he wanted and truth be told, one can no longer play and the other isn't a great alternative either.

If I'm Jerry Jones, I'm calling Garrett on the carpet over this. This situation is stifling what should be an explosive offense. And considering what Jerry has spent, that's unacceptable.

The team had a number of capable veterans to choose from in the offseason and Garrett wanted these two.

Now he's got some explaining to do.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
"Brooks Bollinger was probably the sorriest excuse for a quarterback the Jets have ever allowed to play in the Meadowlands this side of Rick Mirer."

Yeah, he was either a Rookie or in his second season with no experience at the time, on a dreadful team. Romo would have fared no better in the same situation.

I'm not saying Bollinger is Romo but an 85.1 career QB rating, including those Jets games, shows that he is not that bad. I'm sure he is even better now, especially with these weapons.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
I usually dont say bad things about jerry but what the hell was He thinking getting Bollinger?

Stick with Brad end of story. Just take the butt whoopin and get better after romos return.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Wrangler87;2384933 said:
Yeah, he was either a Rookie or in his second season with no experience at the time, on a dreadful team. Romo would have fared no better in the same situation.

I'm not saying Bollinger is Romo but an 85.1 career QB rating, including those Jets games, shows that he is not that bad. I'm sure he is even better now, especially with these weapons.

Stats do not tell the whole tale. Bollinger sucked EVERY time I saw him play in the NFL (not sure which was was worse, his field vision or his slow release). Never watched him in college but he is one sorry pro QB.

Did not like Bartel, but Bartel was better.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
BAT;2384945 said:
Stats do not tell the whole tale. Bollinger sucked EVERY time I saw him play in the NFL (not sure which was was worse, his field vision or his slow release). Never watched him in college but he is one sorry pro QB.

Did not like Bartel, but Bartel was better.

Bollinger, Simms, Johnson and Bartel.....all of them suck

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
YoMick;2384909 said:
My typo, right? Took me a sec to figure out what you were talking about.

CrazyMonster

Reaction score
Culpepper would be a better fit for this O.

Get him in here, 1 day of practice & start him Sunday! :laugh2:

magic-sword

Reaction score
So with Simms - if you have two options - do them both? Great opinion really nailed that.
He must argue with himself. :lmao2:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Reality;2384896 said:

-Reality

You've been talking with Hos I see.

JK.

I thought they might bring Sims in but I think the problem with that was either/or Sims not wanting to come here to sit behind Romo and the fact Johnson threw well in camp and the preseason games. And could manage the game well.

The problem is not should we have gotten another QB IMO. It's getting Johnson to play at his real capability which is much better than what he's showing. Brad can make all the throws necessary to win a game. He's not going to thread the needle on long seam passes but he should be able to throw 20 yd outs like he did in preseason. If he can make that throw then he can throw to enough routes to have at least an intermediate game.

CoCo

Reaction score
stasheroo;2384926 said:
This situation is a direct indictment of the knowledge and judgement of the coaching staff - specifically Jason Garrett.

He got the players he wanted and truth be told, one can no longer play and the other isn't a great alternative either.

If I'm Jerry Jones, I'm calling Garrett on the carpet over this. This situation is stifling what should be an explosive offense. And considering what Jerry has spent, that's unacceptable.

The team had a number of capable veterans to choose from in the offseason and Garrett wanted these two.

Now he's got some explaining to do.

Refresh my memory on those available again cause I'm having trouble recalling with the superior options.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Simms' points were on da money, IMHO...Brad is a 3rd stringer, at best.

That being said, I never liked the Bollinger signing to begin with...It was poor oversight to not have a credible backup to Romo and it's been two seasons.

Guess we're stuck with Brad

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
DallasDomination;2384935 said:
I usually dont say bad things about jerry but what the hell was He thinking getting Bollinger?

Stick with Brad end of story. Just take the butt whoopin and get better after romos return.

I really hate that mentality.

You never know how one QB will perform from one system to the next.

Short term and long term Brooks is the smart move because he does have SOME physical abilities.

Johnson has 0 abilities from a physical stand point so knowing the game doesn't mean jack squat.

Hes also done a very poor job protecting the ball. He is awful.