DMN; Blog: Back to Ballin'

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Back to Ballin'

7:11 PM Thu, Dec 13, 2007 | Permalink
Albert Breer

It would've been tough enough for Cowboys seventh-round pick Alan Ball had he not made the final cut following training camp.

But he did. And that's what made his Sept. 2 ouster from the 53-man roster particularly difficult. Imagine that: One day, you've made an NFL team as a rookie. The next day, you're gone.

"It was definitely tough, because you work so hard," Ball said. "That’s the one thing you want to do, the first step is to be (on the roster.) But things change."

They changed again on Tuesday, when Ball was the beneficiary of Remi Ayodele's release (Ayodele officially re-joined the practice squad on Wednesday night). And Ball's promotion, the coaches say, was in large part due to the fact that, as a member of the practice squad, he showed a high level of desire and gave the offense a good look every week.

"Very competitive, very competitive," defensive coordinator Brian Stewart said of Ball. "He’s good around the football, he can play outside as well as inside, so he can play some nickel for us also. Very competitive player."

Plus, showing off his skills on a day-in, day-out basis hardly hurt. As Stewart said, "You could ask T.O. and those guys how they feel about Alan Ball. They’d probably give you a pretty good description of what kind of player he is."

So the Cowboys now have a sixth corner on the roster. Here's the other five:
-- Terence Newman
-- Anthony Henry
-- Jacques Reeves
-- Nathan Jones
-- Evan Oglesby

Oglesby's been active for just two games this season, even while the team has battled injuries at the position.

So there's a pretty good chance that Ball will be a game-day inactive from here on out, and that the team made the move simply to keep other teams from signing him. Ball said he was unaware of any outside interest, while agent Ryan Morgan said that the move was more about the Cowboys liking his client than anything else.

Whatever the case may be, Ball's just happy to get the late call-up.

“It’s real exciting," Ball said. "A big change for me, especially at this point in the season.”

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
nate is a good special teams player, that is important too.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40;1831905 said:
"Very competitive, very competitive," defensive coordinator Brian Stewart said of Ball. "He’s good around the football, he can play outside as well as inside, so he can play some nickel for us also. Very competitive player."
eduncan22;1831951 said:
Where do you play him? In Dime?
There you go.

Woods

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1832116 said:
Several team officials said Ball is one of the best pure cover corners on the team...

One guy I haven't heard much of anything about since he was signed to the roster is Evan Oglesby at CB.

I wonder how he compares relative to Ball? Or even what type of potential he has . . . . maybe he's a JAG though.

CPonder14

Reaction score
I think Ball is a good cover guy, but he has a thin frame, and I'm sure he isn't that great of a tackler, thats probably why he was drafted late.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
He is not going to be active so all this talk of where he would play doesnt matter right now.

Hopefully the skins game will mean nothing to us and ball can get out there and get some work.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Woods;1832257 said:
One guy I haven't heard much of anything about since he was signed to the roster is Evan Oglesby at CB.

I wonder how he compares relative to Ball? Or even what type of potential he has . . . . maybe he's a JAG though.

I know, we've heard nothing about Oglesby. If he's only been active two games, makes you wonder since he can't beat out Nate Jones yet. We picked up Justin Rogers at the same time and you see him out there making tackles on special teams.

Assuming we keep both our #1s, I think we need to draft a CB in the 1st if a good one is available. It's an important position and having better depth would help a ton in this passing age of the NFL.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
'Ballin had a different meaning in the 60's, Cbz40

And I'm not saying what it was, on this PG rated website...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I just listened to the Jerry Jones show from today and Norm asked him now that you've clinched the division, what would you like to see? The first thing he said was for Ball to get some snaps, then Watkins to come on at safety, and then he would "dream" of Terry coming back.

Then later in the interview, Norm asked if they brought Ball up because other teams were interested in him or because he was playing well in practice, and he said both.... But teams were definitely sniffing around and thinking about going after him.

Makes me wonder if he's not just going to be inactive... Maybe he'll actually get some snaps. I hope so.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
eduncan22;1831951 said:
Where do you play him? In Dime?

You take Reeves out of the lineup, put Ball in... after all, Reeves is just a spare, keeping the position warm for a REAL cornerback...

:D :D :D