DMN Blog: Cowboys not pushing panic button/All about third down

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys not pushing panic button

Wade Phillips, of all people, seemed to be most shaken by the butt-whuppin' the Patriots put on the Cowboys.

"We got a lot of work to do," Phillips said. "We wanted to be one of the elite teams, but obviously we're not."

The players were taking the it's-only-one-game approach.

LB Bradie James said he's glad it's a 16-game season. He added that good teams and good players are resilient and bounce back from games like this.

QB Tony Romo, who had a big bag of ice on his left shoulder, wanted to make sure the media knew that the Cowboys have a 5-1 record.

"That's a pretty good football team," Romo said.

T.O. stressed that there's no loss of confidence in the Cowboys' locker room. Perhaps in an effort to prove his point, the Original 81 predicted that the Cowboys would get a rematch with the Patriots.

I'd hold off at least until after the Green Bay game before making flight reservations to Arizona.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 8:42 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)

All about third down?

VERNON BRYANT / DMN
Roy Williams has been criticized for not making himself available for comment after bad games, so give him credit for talking to the media today.

Williams wanted to make it clear that one rough game doesn't mean Dallas has a bad defense. Tom Brady lit the Cowboys up for 388 yards and five TDs, but Williams isn't too worried.

"Brady is a good quarterback, but don't discredit us," said Williams, who didn't appear to be the burn victim of any TDs. "Just because we didn't stop them on third down doesn't mean we're not a good defense."

Williams pointed to the Patriots' third-down conversion percentage (11 of 17, 65 percent) as the biggest problem. Brady completed 11 of 13 third-down passes for 155 yards and two TDs.

Correct my math if it's wrong, but I believe that means Brady was 20 of 33 for 233 yards and three TDs on first and second down. Those stats aren't pretty from a Cowboys perspective, either.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 8:31 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (2)

utrunner07

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1709722 said:
"Just because we didn't stop them on third down doesn't mean we're not a good defense."

Then what does that mean ROY? Why don't you go back to your not talking to the Media policy if your going to make excuses and not man up like always

Kangaroo

Reaction score
jman;1709802 said:
I think you call that a win...

Yes but a bad game by the defense

So the defense has looked good against who 3 really bad offensive teams maybe 3 of the worse football teams in the NFL this year

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
utrunner07;1709858 said:
Then what does that mean ROY? Why don't you go back to your not talking to the Media policy if your going to make excuses and not man up like always

What should he have said?

"We suck."

Would that have made you better?

Or how about this?

"Tarvaris Jackson (or whoever the heck the Minny QB is) will destroy us."

Frozen700

Reaction score
DragonCowboy;1710115 said:
What should he have said?

"We suck."

Would that have made you better?

Or how about this?