DMN: Blog: Felix Jones explains the art of returning kickoffs

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Felix Jones explains the art of returning kickoffs

6:50 PM Fri, Sep 19, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/NS_16stockJH-thumb-250x205.jpg
Felix Jones is still figuring out a lot of things about playing in the NFL, but the rookie has got this kick returning thing down pat. His 38.1-yard average on seven returns (highlighted by a 98-yard TD) leads the NFL. Here's how he does it:

"You've got to be a little patient and let the front line set up their blocks. Then once you see a hole, you've got to give it all you've got with a burst of speed. And then you make the last man miss.

"When they're setting up [to make the wedge], there's certain places where I'm looking. I'm looking at this wedge to see what I can see as far as a hole. I'm also looking out of my peripheral vision at the people coming off the edge. I'm very confident in the front line to provide that hole, too. If I'm patient enough, I can see it. But if I'm not, I'll run into the back or them or not find the hole.

"It really is a matter of when to hit it and when not to. You've got to be very decisive. In the NFL, you've got one cut in the hole. You maybe can get two cuts - maybe.

"And you've got to finish the play. If that's making the kicker miss or the safety miss, that's finishing the play.

You've got to get the ball to the end zone."

Eskimo

Reaction score
Running/vision with the football is one of those things that can't be taught - either you can do it or you can't but you can't really teach anyone how to do it. Dorsett had "it", Emmitt had "it" and at least for KORs Felix has "it".