DMN Blog: Felix Jones out two-to-four; Injury report update

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
9:12 PM Mon, Oct 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

A busy day is coming to an end, we think.

Let's recap the injuries.

Rookie running back Felix Jones is out two-to-four weeks with a left hamstring injury suffered in the third quarter of Sunday's loss at Arizona. It's a major blow to the Cowboys' struggling offense, even though Wade Phillips contends, Tony Romo did throw for 300 plus yards and the offense scored 24 points.

Phillips said Marion Barber would get an increased role, probably some of the snaps Jones was supposed to get, and rookie Tashard Choice will see some time, but very little.

Also, Sam Hurd will undergo surgery tomorrow on his left ankle. Hurd has ligament damage and it could cost him six-to-eight weeks. This might end Hurd's season and he could go on injured reserve.

Outside linebacker Anthony Spencer has a hamstring strain and Phillips said he's week-to-week. I doubt if he'll play on Sunday.

Safety Patrick Watkins and left tackle Flo Adams are battling neck stingers. Adams has played through it all season while Watkins' was more serious and he needed at least two weeks of recovery time.

Watkins said he feels fine and hopes to practice on Wednesday.

Everybody's favorite safety, Roy Williams should return this week after missing the previous four weeks with a fractured right forearm. Williams will play with a soft cast and it's not known if he will return to the starting lineup.

Tony Romo, as everyone knows, broke his right pinky on the first play of overtime when he was smashed on a passing play. Romo couldn't grip the ball the rest of the drive and that might have contributed to his short hopped throw to Terrell Owens and an overthrow.

Romo didn't offer excuses after the game regarding the hand. But when he was picking up his duffle bag after the game he did so gingerly.

Mat McBriar is probably gone for the season, or maybe six-to-eight weeks, depending on what the doctors say. McBriar has a major fracture and two hairline fractures in his right foot. The foot is black and blue and McBriar can't put any weight on it.

The team will workout former Jets punter Ben Graham and Sam Paulescu tomorrow to see who can take over.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Flo needs to get those Stingers worked out so that he can play at full strength. We don't need anymore performances like Sunday.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Anthony Spencer is starting to look like a china doll.

Coakleys Dad

The Re-Birth has begun.
Reaction score
uuuggh...this sux. They say it gets worse before it gets better, so lets hope it gets better cause it cant get much worse.

alby

Reaction score
Tony Romo - 4 weeks
Felix Jones - 2 to 4 weeks
Mat McBriar - 6 to 8 weeks
Terrence Newman - ??
Roy Williams - ??
Sam Hurd - ??
Keith Davis - ??
Patrick Watkins - ??
Kyle Kosier - ??
am I missing anyone else?

I know the injuries are mounting and it seems like the sky is falling, but, the injury bug hits every team in the NFL eventually. Other than Terry Glenn last year, the Cowboys have had relatively amazing luck when it comes to health during the Wade Phillips era.

I'm looking at this from a positive point of view: No one really has a serious season or career ending injury. We can take this injury bug hit during the first half the season and as long as we're healthy during the last half of it or even in the last quarter of the season, we'll be fine. We just need to make sure we'll be playing well heading into the real season IMHO.

If Romo misses 4 weeks, he's still going to play in SEVEN more games before the season is over. Therefore, to me, it could actually be a blessing in disguise. He can sit back while he's rehabbing the finger, and really watch the 3 football games from a different perspective. I think this is going to help Romo and the Cowboys out in the big picture.

Go Cowboys :starspin

Champsheart

Reaction score
alby;2337541 said:
Tony Romo - 4 weeks
Felix Jones - 2 to 4 weeks
Mat McBriar - 6 to 8 weeks
Terrence Newman - ??
Roy Williams - ??
Sam Hurd - ??
Keith Davis - ??
Patrick Watkins - ??
am I missing anyone else?

Kosier

kmd24

Reaction score
alby;2337541 said:
If Romo misses 4 weeks, he's still going to play in NINE more games before the season is over.

Romo would only have 7 more regular season games after missing the next three games.

alby

Reaction score
kmd24;2337604 said:
Romo would only have 7 more regular season games after missing the next three games.
oh good catch, thanks!

Smith22

Reaction score
Any updates on Kosier? He should be back this week or next week right?

Hailmary

Reaction score
The team will workout former Jets punter Ben Graham and Sam Paulescu tomorrow to see who can take over.

Can either of them handle kick off duties?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smith22;2337697 said:
Any updates on Kosier? He should be back this week or next week right?
From a DMN chat from last week, I believe it's closer to next week than this week.

Ren

Reaction score
what worries me about 2-4 weeks is that ever since wade got here those usually turn out to be 2-4 months injury reports have been very shaky to put it mildly :bang2:

Aven8

Reaction score
Limited carries for Choice?????? What's up with that? More time for Barber???? Barber is starting to do that all familiar dance in the backfield, that Julious use to do. Get up the field!!!!!!!

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hailmary;2337775 said:
Can either of them handle kick off duties?

Paulescu was in camp with us last season. In the preseason, he punted twice (one 56 yards and one 46 for a 51.0 average) and kicked off once (from the 25 after a 5-yard penalty, kicked to the 6, returned to the 26).

Graham is a former Austrailian rules football player like McBriar. He doesn't kick off.