DMN: Blog: Hamlin coy on future

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Hamlin coy on future

2:42 PM Fri, Dec 14, 2007 | Permalink
Albert Breer

S Ken Hamlin's got a lot on his plate these days, as the Cowboys free safety and the secondary's traffic cop.

But there's a question that's tough to avoid with the season dwindling. And it's tough to avoid because as the season dwindles, so does the time before Hamlin and a large group of other Cowboys hit the free agent market.

"We’ll see how it works out," Hamlin said. "I’m definitely enjoying myself, I’m enjoying my time here, I’m happy with the situation. It’s good to be around a lot of young, talented guys like we have. Like I said, we’ll see."

Calvin Watkins had it in the paper a couple weeks back that both sides were hoping to get an extension done before free agency starts in March.

With the season he's having, Hamlin's within his right to ask for pretty big bucks to go from one Hog to another (that'd be Jerry to Ken.) But no matter what happens, Hamlin says his experience here has been good, and that he's happy the success he saw coming when he inked a one-year, $2.5 million deal actually manifested itself.

"I envisioned we’d have a good team," Hamlin said. "I never put a number out there, how many games we’d win, but I saw that we had a young and a talented team and it’s starting to show a little bit."

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
All this statement tells us is that they're in the heat of negotiations.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
theogt;1833286 said:
All this statement tells us is that they're in the heat of negotiations.
Yup. I also think there are few other negotiontions going on right now, like Flo, Canty, perhaps TNew.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
If he doesn't want to play, I think Pat would love to get some time.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I've liked Hamlin this season, and I like our safety by committe type approach. I think it would be good to sign him and keep everything else in the secondary as is...safety anyways

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
I hope that he does end up staying. There could be alot of teams that would want him, like the Panthers.

Wood

Reaction score
Early on...I thought Hamlin was huge upgrade...but he has slipped the past few weeks. Maybe Roy is wearing off on him....I dont know...but I see more and more bad angles on running plays by Hamlin and his pass defense has been average at best lately. I dont think his play commands big bucks. Honestly, none of the DB has really played at high level this year.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Wood;1833407 said:
Early on...I thought Hamlin was huge upgrade...but he has slipped the past few weeks. Maybe Roy is wearing off on him....I dont know...but I see more and more bad angles on running plays by Hamlin and his pass defense has been average at best lately. I dont think his play commands big bucks. Honestly, none of the DB has really played at high level this year.

One can't forget Hamlin's lineage. Still, I don't think the Cowboys would be as successful without him. It's just that he isn't a super star.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
I guess I am alone in thinking his play is average.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
dmq;1833525 said:
I guess I am alone in thinking his play is average.
Even if he is average, that's better than any FS on the roster.

To me, he played above average.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
if we can get him on another one year for low $$ that would be alright. if he doesnt pan out by then we can take a look at the cap situation and go from there? Seattle really did not like him for whatever reason

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Ken Hamlin hasn't be spectacular back there, but we haven't been getting beat deep... that's one area we've really improved on, not giving up those deep bombs. The past few years we've given up several big plays through the air....

Just last year we gave up 14 passes of 40+ yards.... remember Hank Baskett?

This year we've only given up 5 passes of 40+ yards, and he's been a big reason for the improvement...

get er done Jerry...

lspain1

Reaction score
The Cowboys have significantly improved against the deep ball this season and Hamlin gets a big part of the credit for that. Watkins has also improved. In Hamlin's case, it's going to come down to the money. I doubt we get a "Cowboys" discount from him. We'll see.

twa

Reaction score
He is certainly worth a raise,but if he tries to break the bank he can be replaced.

As far as giving up long passes,I think scheme and more pressure have provided as much difference as a competent FS.

His being a improvement over Davis and Watkins is unquestionable though.

Ken

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to do with Hamlin.

With the emergence of Pat Watkins, who should only get better next year, It may not be imprerative that we sign Hamlin.

With the number of FA's we have, I'm not sure that giving Hamlin big bucks is prudent.

Unless he is willing to sign for reasonable big bucks, then I would be fine going with Watkins and another lower tier FA FS.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ken;1833828 said:
I'm not sure what to do with Hamlin.

With the emergence of Pat Watkins, who should only get better next year, It may not be imprerative that we sign Hamlin.

With the number of FA's we have, I'm not sure that giving Hamlin big bucks is prudent.

Unless he is willing to sign for reasonable big bucks, then I would be fine going with Watkins and another lower tier FA FS.
Our dime packages, which take up about 1/3 of our defensive snaps require both Watkins and Hamlin. We need them both.