DMN: BLOG: Jerry Jones: Coaching isn't cause of late-season woes

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Jerry Jones: Coaching isn't cause of late-season woes

10:48 AM Fri, Dec 26, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

The Cowboys haven't won a playoff game since 1996 and have had only one winning December during that span.

Jerry Jones can't put his finger on the Cowboys' winter woes, but he has eliminated coaching as the cause. He figures that coaching can't be the problem, since he's had five head coaches during the playoff win drought.

"I know it doesn't have anything to do with the coaching or the coaching style, because we have had during that period of time different coaching styles," Jerry said on The Ticket this morning. "We've had different approaches by different coaches."

It's practically assumed that Wade Phillips will be fired if the Cowboys don't win at least one playoff game. But everything that has come out of Jerry's mouth indicates that isn't the case.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
December 26, 2008

Jerry: Wade and Co. coming back regardless of Sunday's outcome

He said it again on Friday during practice. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is bringing back Wade Phillips and his staff next season regardless of what happens Sunday in Philadelphia. Don't expect any big changes if the Cowboys lose to the Eagles. You really believe that?

"I have said that our coaching staff, as far as I'm concerned, is in place," Jerry said. "When I look at where we are coaching staff wise and personnel wise, I see a team that's in place to compete for several year. I would to go into that new stadium with a Super Bowl ring."

Jerry even got a little testy with the line of questions about Wade Phillips' future with the team. He also wanted to move on to another topic.

- Rick Herrin

rcaldw

Reaction score
Let me interpret:

"I like things the way they are. I like being able to play 'football man'. I like being able to address the team in the locker room, you know, dress them down after a big loss. I like being able to give the injury reports, even when I don't know what in the world I'm talking about, and get a guy like Barber back on the field when he should be. Yea, I know Wade now says we shouldn't have played him the last 2 weeks, but what does a head coach know? I like the firestorm of stuff that constantly flows around my team, I've come out and even told you that. The more the better so long as we are in the news. Yea, I've heard Troy say that he and I disagreed about this kind of stuff, and that he thinks it contributed to our unraveling at the end of the 90's, but what does he know about winning? In fact, what does anyone know better than me? I've proved that the team I put together in the early 90's could have won with 500 different head coaches. I personally installed number 500 himself, and then jerked the trophy out of his hands when he started yelling 'we did it our way baby'. So, no.. until we are an absolute laughing stock again, like we were right before Percells, until I begin to feel it financially and feel the embarrassment that forced me to go after another strong personality last time, I don't plan on doing a darn thing. Live with it."

tyke1doe

Reaction score
rcaldw;2524609 said:
Let me interpret:

"I like things the way they are. I like being able to play 'football man'. I like being able to address the team in the locker room, you know, dress them down after a big loss. I like being able to give the injury reports, even when I don't know what in the world I'm talking about, and get a guy like Barber back on the field when he should be. Yea, I know Wade now says we shouldn't have played him the last 2 weeks, but what does a head coach know? I like the firestorm of stuff that constantly flows around my team, I've come out and even told you that. The more the better so long as we are in the news. Yea, I've heard Troy say that he and I disagreed about this kind of stuff, and that he thinks it contributed to our unraveling at the end of the 90's, but what does he know about winning? In fact, what does anyone know better than me? I've proved that the team I put together in the early 90's could have won with 500 different head coaches. I personally installed number 500 himself, and then jerked the trophy out of his hands when he started yelling 'we did it our way baby'. So, no.. until we are an absolute laughing stock again, like we were right before Percells, until I begin to feel it financially and feel the embarrassment that forced me to go after another strong personality last time, I don't plan on doing a darn thing. Live with it."

:clap:

You oughta be a translator for the U.N. ;) :D

notherbob

Reaction score
rcaldw;2524609 said:
Let me interpret:

Right on!

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
rcaldw;2524609 said:
Let me interpret:

Yep! You got Jethro pretty much pegged!:money:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry Jones: 'The coaching staff is in place! The coaching staff is in place!'
12:59 PM Fri, Dec 26, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

Jerry Jones has consistently said that he is not considering canning Wade Phillips. The media has consistently been skeptical that Jerry is playing a semantics game and will pull the trigger if the Cowboys don't at least win a playoff game or two.

Jerry tried his darnedest to put an end to that awkward tango when he talked to reporters during the Cowboys' practice today.

He was asked whether there could be major changes if the Cowboys don't win Sunday in Philadelphia. He responded by rambling for a minute or two before getting to the point.

"But to answer your question," Jerry said, "what we see and we do to a large degree, from a coaching standpoint as well as a player standpoint, is what we're going to be working with here for the next several years."

The personnel is in place, but ...

"The coaches are in place," Jerry interrupted. "I've said that. How can I be any clearer? We've got our coaches in place. We've got a lot of our personnel in place. That's absent competition, which you would expect to get from your draft. To look at us out here in free agency and say that we will be a player in free agency is not realistic, if you look at where we are and the situation coming up in the league next year. We're in good shape."

OK, Jerry, but could you change your mind?

"Look, I've said that our coaching staff, as far as I'm concerned, is in place," Jerry said. "I just want to make the statement rather than answer questions, because your questions imply certain things that I don't want to imply. I'm saying that when I look at where we are coaching staff-wise and when I look at where we are personnel-wise, I see a team that is in place to compete for several years. And I'd like to go in that new stadium with a Super Bowl win."

Do you feel that way about the coach regardless of what happens Sunday in Philly?

"Of course," Jerry snapped. "I'm just saying, as I stand right here. Look, can y'all not understand statements? What the [beep] is going on here? Really. I really don't understand what is going on. The coaching staff is in place! The coaching staff is in place! The building is here. You want to ask the question, what if it blows down?"

What if this building blows down?

"We'll put it back."

Well, you've changed your mind before after making a similar statement.

"I don't know when," Jerry said. "Point it out."

Dave Campo. (For the record, Jerry was non-committal about Campo's job status in mid-December of the final 5-11 season. His firm statement came months earlier.)

"Uh-uh. Uh-uh. Uh-uh," Jerry said, shaking his head for emphasis. "Better go back and get all your statements. Better get all your statements. I never said it like that. "

Just to be clear ...

"I'm not going to be any clearer," Jerry interrupted. "That's it. We'll move on to another subject."

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
The problem is with the coaching, and the players that arent playing up to their level especially on offense. But thats not where the real root of the problem lies.

Look at the Cowboys since 1995, they havent won a super bowl, 1998, was last time they won a playoff game.

That points to the direction of the team, by the one and only person in charge, the owner and general manager. Now, I am not saying Jerry Jones hasnt tried to change the team and improve. Jerry has pretty well done a super job in acquiring talent, listening to his scouting department, etc.

BUT, WHEN THE PLAYERS CAN GO TO JERRY JONES, AND HE LISTENS TO THEM MORE THAN THE COACHES, THEN THATS WHERE THE RUB LIES!

Even media writers are writing now that Jerry Jones didnt like it when Bill Parcells was the face of the franchise the last 2 years. Jerry wants to be in control. But you cant do both. Be the owner and title of general manager, while trying to coach too.

Till Jerry Jones sees how he as a owner, compares to Al Davis in that scenario with a owner that rules the team, then this team wont go far.

The biggest problem on this team, the players need discipline on this team, and they arent getting it from wade good ole phillips. The Cowboys as you all know are the most penalized team in the NFL. If Jerry Jones cant see that, then thats where the problem lies.

Granted Hard Knocks was nice to see in training camp, but you cant run a team like that, getting the players to bye into all of the hoopla and honors for the super bowl. It takes hard work, practice, and team leaders to overcome that.

Right now this team doesnt have those leaders yet, they are real real close, with Witten, Barber, Romo, etc, but not quite there. The team needs leaders that wont let that happen, they make the players tow the line, and they work hard themselves, the leaders.

Just like when the Cowboys had Aikman, Irvin, Gogan, Woodson, Emmitt Smith, Haley that made the players tow the line and be accountable. This team doenst have that yet.

Sure, the players want to be treated like professionals, but when you dont act like professionals, then you have to be treated like kids, and the Head Coach is needed, someone like a young Jimmy Johnson, to show the players to believe in themselves, act like it and play like it. LIke Chad Hennings said one time, Jimmy Johnson made us believe that we would win and we will win. And they played like it.

This team isnt like that yet. Till Jerry Jones sees that, and sees this team needs team leaders, and he kicks some rear ends till they get there. Just like in 94 and 95, the leaders were on this team along with Larry Allen and Erik Williams that made the players toe the line, and coach switzer knew that, and he let the coordiantors direct and run the team. Till you get that leadership on this team, and a Head Coach that is given the full legal ok from Jerry JOnes to kick the players rear ends when it is needed etc and push them, this team isnt going anywhere.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Why stop, this is a message board, Cowboy talk is Welcomed.

Repetitious ..The nature of the beast.:)

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Let me put this straight forward so EVERYONE can understand it. It's pretty simple. Like JJ said, we've had several coaching staffs over the past few years during our late season funk. We've also pretty much turned over the roster. It isn't the coaching staff and it isn't the players. There's one common denominator throughout all our winter struggles. JJ himself and the circus he brings with him. His "any media coverage is good for the team" concept has ruined the team. You either want a successful NFL franchise built to win championships, or you want a theme park to be used to make money. You can't have both. At least not to the extremes that JJ goes. It's pretty simple.