DMN: Blog: Jerry Jones expected immediate impact from Roy Williams

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Jerry Jones expected immediate impact from Roy Williams

4:21 PM Thu, Nov 13, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Tim MacMahon

WR Roy Williams, who signed a five-year extension soon after arriving from Detroit, will be a Cowboy for a long time. But Jerry Jones wouldn't have given the Lions first- and third-round picks unless he believed Williams would make an instant impact.

Williams has made minimal impact so far, catching three passes for 38 yards and a touchdown in three games started by Brad Johnson.

"I thought it would come quicker just because of his presence out there on the other side of Terrell [Owens] could really alter how these teams are going to play us," Jerry said. "That compromised without having Romo out there, but it will be interesting to see how Washington plays us with the way we are using Williams and Terrell out there.

"But my expectations were that he would have an immediate impact and we would get this season out of him. That was one of the bonuses for giving up our 1 now rather than using the 1 in the draft for him at that time. We got a big input from here and a chance to accomplish something this year."

For what it's worth, Chris Chambers didn't make much of an immediate impact for the Chargers after being traded from Miami in the middle of last season. He had 35 catches for 555 yards and four TDs in 10 regular season games.

But Chambers was the Chargers' top receiving threat in the playoffs, when he had 16 catches for 278 yards and a TD in three games.

Cowboy_4_Life

Reaction score
I'ts going to be a great Sunday to be at home, drinking my beer, watching the Dallas Cowboys emberrass the deadskins at their house.

Seeing T.O, Roy, and Tony together for the first time.

Oh, what a wonderful day.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
$9M a year - I expected immediate impact also and we traded away a #1, #3 for Roy #11

JJ the GM made a panic move - that he's making a candid statement suprises me so early into the Roy #11 era.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Cowboy_4_Life;2416668 said:
I'ts going to be a great Sunday to be at home, drinking my beer, watching the Dallas Cowboys emberrass the deadskins at their house.

Seeing T.O, Roy, and Tony together for the first time.

Oh, what a wonderful day.

I think I'm going to get some beer as well......I have a feeling it will be needed.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to them finally getting to have this combo out there with a competent QB.

Daudr

Reaction score
How could anyone in their right mind expect "immediate impact" with fricken Brad "I dont scare anyone" Johnson throwing the ball? I don't care if you have Jerry Rice out there, if the idiot that is throwing the ball can't get it past the LOS and reasonably close to the hands of the receiver, they aren't going to do anything to help the team.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
First off, the guy hasn't had an immediate impact because of the banal offensive gameplan and Brad Johnson.

Also, Jerry Jones should have known that acquring Roy Williams wasn't even necessary, even though he does help your football team.