DMN Blog: Kyle Kosier to injured reserve; LB Steve Octavien signed

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10:54 AM Sat, Nov 29, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg News tips

The Cowboys placed left guard Kyle Kosier on injured reserve Saturday and signed linebacker Steve Octavien off Washington's practice squad to fill Kosier's roster spot.

Kosier is likely to have surgery this week in Charlotte, N.C., on his right foot. He played in only three games this season - all wins - after suffering a ligament injury and hairline fracture in his foot in the preseason against Houston.

Kosier missed the first two games of the season before re-injuring his foot in the fourth quarter against Green Bay. He missed the next six games before playing against Washington and San Francisco, but left the Niners' game early.

Kosier joins safety Roy Williams, wide receiver Sam Hurd, punter Felix Jones and running back Felix Jones on injured reserve. Montrae Holland replaced Kosier at left guard Thursday against Seattle.

Octavien, a 6-0, 238-pound rookie, went to training camp with Kansas City before joining the Commanders' practice squad on Nov. 20. He played at Nebraska and had 92 tackles, two sacks, 15 tackles for loss and three pass deflections as a senior.

http://www.***BANNED-URL***/images/ice3/icons/blog.gif Comments (9) Leave comment | http://www.***BANNED-URL***/blogs/images/email-icon.jpg E-mail entry

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Another coverage specilist signed. Perhaps they do recognize the problem after all.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The LB move is odd -- but he's likely ranked by the team as the BPA on someone else's PS.

We've now got to make room for Adam Jones and, as Jerry noted, Alonzo Coleman.

I expected this move to correspond to Coleman's activation. Butler is likely taking a hike but who else?

Cowboys22

Reaction score
AbeBeta;2450914 said:
The LB move is odd -- but he's likely ranked by the team as the BPA on someone else's PS.

We've now got to make room for Adam Jones and, as Jerry noted, Alonzo Coleman.

I expected this move to correspond to Coleman's activation. Butler is likely taking a hike but who else?

Brown, if they make the Coleman move.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
well that is a bummer.

Octavien must be able to come in and play special teams right away, otherwise they wouldnt have signed him.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2450909 said:
Kosier joins safety Roy Williams, wide receiver Sam Hurd, punter Felix Jones and running back Felix Jones on injured reserve. Montrae Holland replaced Kosier at left guard Thursday against Seattle.
Dude can do it all, can't he? Fake punt, biotches!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Octavien, a 6-0, 238-pound rookie, went to training camp with Kansas City before joining the Commanders' practice squad on Nov. 20. He played at Nebraska and had 92 tackles, two sacks, 15 tackles for loss and three pass deflections as a senior.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Shanle 2...... This kid can play ST's

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Cowboys22;2450920 said:

Maybe.

But stuff like this can be worrisome. I know the team liked Brown and know that being from a small school he would take some time to get going.

Makes me wonder if another IR move is expected. Or if we make use the long week to work in another placekick holder and drop Johnson.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Cowboys22;2450920 said:

not brown.

If another roster spot is opened up it will be from pat watkins going to the IR also.

MrMom

Reaction score
theebs;2450959 said:
not brown.

If another roster spot is opened up it will be from pat watkins going to the IR also.

Sounds about right. They need to protect him from himself.

WG5516

Reaction score
LOL Brad is not being released while the season is going on. Stopit. Why would you want to disrupt the chemistry Nick Folk has with the guy this late into the season?

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Sat, 02 Feb 2008
University of Nebraska LB Steve Octavien has been invited to the 2008 NFL Combine

Mon, 25 Feb 2008

- Completed 26 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine.
- Measured a 9-foot-10 broad jump at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine.
- Ran a 4.67 40-yard dash at the 2008 NFL Scouting Combine

Mon, 28 Apr 2008
- Went undrafted in the 2008 NFL Draft

Tue, 29 Apr 2008

- Signed by Chiefs to a two-year contract

Sat, 30 Aug 2008
- Released by Chiefs with 20 other players

Tue, 20 Nov 2008
- Signed to Commanders practice squad

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WG5516;2450962 said:
LOL Brad is not being released while the season is going on. Stopit. Why would you want to disrupt the chemistry Nick Folk has with the guy this late into the season?

B/c Brad lost his #2 QB spot. So now, we've got our #3 QB holding and have to use our #2 as the emergency backup. Practically, that means that if Romo leaves a game in the 1st three quarters that we have to play Johnson.

Folk was great in college and Johnson wasn't his holder so I'm sure he can adapt.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theebs;2450959 said:
not brown.

Watkins had a stinger that wouldn't go away. I hope he's not got a congenital problem with his spinal column. That's the reason for his draumatic dropoff in play and him trying to protect himself on tackles. We are not hearing all the bad for injuries.

WG5516;2450962 said:

You have a point. I do wonder if sometimes too much is made of that. But I couldn't kick anything so what do I know. I'd love to hear from a holder and a kicker. This questions been asked but I either missed the answer or we didn't get one.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We must be going with MB and TC unless they bring Coleman up. They must be looking elsewhere despite JJ's talk about Coleman. Or they're waiting on news about more than one IR decision. If they're going to bring Coleman up they need to do it now. He needs the attn and reps.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
They still have just 52 on the roster even after the Losier/LB move today.

Unless Barber definitely cant go or would be severely limited, I doubt they bring Coleman up this week. They will probably wait a few days to see how he is doing.

So they have a spot for Pac Trash if they activate him without making another move.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
jobberone;2450983 said:
Watkins had a stinger that wouldn't go away. I hope he's not got a congenital problem with his spinal column. That's the reason for his draumatic dropoff in play and him trying to protect himself on tackles. We are not hearing all the bad for injuries.

His chronic stinger is a result of his chronic bad tackling form.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2450979 said:
Who?

Seems strange.

He was a solid player in College.

Nothing special though.

Hes like a poor mans Carlos Polk.