DMN: Blog: Madden on the matchup

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
October 12, 2007

Madden on the matchup

NBC's John Madden appeared on SIRIUS NFL Radio today, and broke down the Patriots-Cowboys matchup with Adam Schein. Thanks to the folks at the network for passing along the transcript. Here's some bits and pieces:

Madden on Cowboys-Bills: "Usually, when you have a lot of turnovers, your QB throws a lot of interceptions, you lose the game and everyone’s down. Here you can say, ‘Well, we dodged a bullet there. I was really lucky and I’m never going to let that happen again.’

"So I think that was a big, big plus that they could have so many things go wrong and still win because as a coach you can really get on your team now. It’s not one of those things where everyone’s celebrating and pouring champagne on their heads because they played lousy.”

On the challenge in facing the Pats defense: "Kind of figuring it out on the run. He’s not going to show you anything that you’ve seen before and there’s going to be surprises. He’s going to take away the things that you do best and he’s going to take away the guys that are most dangerous to him. You just mentioned T.O. and Jason Witten.

"He’s going to take them away. And in running situations he’s going to take the run away. But you don’t know how. That’s going to be the challenge for Tony Romo. You know what he’s going to do. I guarantee you he’s going to do something to T.O. And then number two he’s going to do something to Jason Witten. I know that but you don’t know how or where the guys are going to come from. So you have to figure that out during the game."

On how to stop the Patriots offense: "The answer isn’t you rush them, you blitz them, you zone them, you drop eight. I’ve seen them do everything to Tom Brady and he’s still going to get you. You just have to play your technique and when he completes passes, tackle the guy. Don’t get fooled. Don’t give him easy plays. Just play him hard. Play him tough.
"As far as an answer to how you take away Tom Brady I don’t know that there is one. I kind of think that one of the things you can do is just play the pass. Let them have the run and if they’re going to beat you with the run, so be it. But do everything in your defense for the pass defense.”

On where the Cowboys have an edge: “I don’t think they have any. The closest one that they would have would be DeMarcus Ware rushing and I don’t even know that that would be anything except even.”

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 5:07 PM (E-mail this entry)

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
5Stars;1703481 said:
Game over! The Patriots win! :bang2:

:D

Yea your right 5Stars, I'm with you. No sense in wasting time watching. I might just take a three to four hour nap. Sure glad everyone saved us some time.:rolleyes:

Oh wait. Just remembered a saying..."that's why they play the game!!" :cool:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
cowboyfan4life_mark;1703496 said:
Yea your right 5Stars, I'm with you. No sense in wasting time watching. I might just take a three to four hour nap. Sure glad everyone saved us some time.:rolleyes:

Oh wait. Just remembered a saying..."that's why they play the game!!" :cool:

If you have Tivo...record it. When you wake up something special will have happened. (a naked cowboy cheerleader will streak across the screen)...

:eek: Talk about a dream!!

Freyguy

Reaction score
Just like the Bills were supposed to be blown out right? If the Bills can almost beat us, anything can happen. Hell, the Pats might even lose to the Dolphins.

cowboyfan4life_mark

5 outta 8 ain't bad
Reaction score
5Stars;1703505 said:
If you have Tivo...record it. When you wake up something special will have happened. (a naked cowboy cheerleader will streak across the screen)...

:eek: Talk about a dream!!

I do have Tivo. Come on cheerleaders!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Freyguy;1703509 said:
Just like the Bills were supposed to be blown out right? If the Bills can almost beat us, anything can happen. Hell, the Pats might even lose to the Dolphins.

The Patriots NEVER LOSE....ever! They are going undefeated!!! (so they say)...

:star:

sacase

Reaction score
Man I have never wanted a game so bad I hope we blow them out of the box. I can't stand all the hype they are getting. Cleaveland did well against them and think we DESTROY them. I hope we not only beat them by a huge amount, but I want to destroy them physically. I want to put at least 5 players out for the year. I want to ruin their season. I want to make them hurt like they have never been hurt before. I want them to be scared to see us in the super bowl.

Mansta54

Reaction score
sacase;1703603 said:
Man I have never wanted a game so bad I hope we blow them out of the box. I can't stand all the hype they are getting. Cleaveland did well against them and think we DESTROY them. I hope we not only beat them by a huge amount, but I want to destroy them physically. I want to put at least 5 players out for the year. I want to ruin their season. I want to make them hurt like they have never been hurt before. I want them to be scared to see us in the super bowl.

I sure do like the way you think...

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
sacase;1703603 said:

How do you know that they will be in the SuperBowl? :confused:

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Patriots Blog - Reiss Pieces
By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

Analyst John Madden, speaking on Sirius radio today, shared his thoughts on the Patriots-Cowboys matchup. Here are some of his comments with host Adam Schein, courtesy of Sirius' media relations staff:

“I’d like to be there. I’d like to see this one. I think that Tony Romo used up all his interceptions Monday night. When you’re a good team and you can play a lousy game where you have so many turnovers and still win I think you can learn so much from that. Usually, when you have a lot of turnovers, your QB throws a lot of interceptions, you lose the game and everyone’s down. Here you can say, ‘Well, we dodged a bullet there. I was really lucky and I’m never going to let that happen again.’ So I think that was a big, big plus that they could have so many things go wrong and still win because as a coach you can really get on your team now. It’s not one of those things where everyone’s celebrating and pouring champagne on their heads because they played lousy. ... So you can really correct a lot of things and get the players attention and they know if they’re going to be a top team they have to play a heck of a lot better. And I think they will. Short week and then playing lousy I think equals great, great concentration by the Dallas Cowboys this week."

How about the challenge for the Dallas defense going up against Tom Brady, Randy Moss and the New England Patriots offense?
"That’s going to be tough. They really haven’t been a great pass rush team this year. They get some pass rush from DeMarcus Ware but they haven’t really gotten enough to really put pressure on the QB. I don’t know that there’s an answer for Tom Brady. It’s like Peyton Manning. You say, ‘How do you stop Tom Brady? How do you stop Peyton Manning?’ You don’t. The answer isn’t you rush them, you blitz them, you zone them, you drop eight. I’ve seen them do everything to Tom Brady and he’s still going to get you. You just have to play your technique and when he completes passes, tackle the guy. Don’t get fooled. Don’t give him easy plays. Just play him hard. Play him tough. As far as an answer to how you take away Tom Brady I don’t know that there is one. I kind of think that one of the things you can do is just play the pass. Let them have the run and if they’re going to beat you with the run, so be it. But do everything in your defense for the pass defense."

As you go over match-ups in this game, are there match-ups, when Tom Brady has the football, that favor the Cowboys?
"I don’t think they have any. The closest one that they would have would be DeMarcus Ware rushing and I don’t even know that that would be anything except even."

JPM

Reaction score
So the Pats are going to take away TO, Witten and the running game ? Why are we even going to bother playing ???

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Seriously... at this point... why even play the game...

Reaction score
Hmm I don't the guys should show up at the stadium according to the so called experts and sports journalists..:rolleyes: