DMN Blog: Marion Barber says calf is getting better. But is he tough?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8:21 PM Mon, Dec 08, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

There's been plenty of talk today about whether or not Marion Barber is tough enough for this football team.

The answer is yes.

However, Jerry Jones was surprised Barber did not make the trip to Pittsburgh because of his little toe.

"I thought all week long that he'd be playing this game," Jones said after the Steelers game. "His toe is good enough to play. We can support that toe and he can come play. He's just not comfortable playing. ... I don't know if it's going to be any different than it was this week."

There is this interpretation that Jones doesn't think Barber is tough enough to play. That's absurd. I think Jones was just saying he was surprised Barber couldn't play.

In fact, Tashard Choice said he knew early last week that Barber wouldn't play.

Roy Williams said he wasn't surprised Barber couldn't go.

When I asked him why not he said, "because it's a dislocation of your foot. Its not like it's your finger and you can tape it up. You have to plant on it. That's your foot. Your toe. It's little and we joke about it and tell him to cut it off like Ronnie Lott but it hurts.
I know he wanted to be out there and Choice did a good job of replacing him but we just didn't have that punishing type back like he is."

Barber suffered some calf soreness when trying to compensate for his dislocated little toe last week in practice and that's the reason why he didn't play.

Barber told me today the calf is getting better. As for what Jerry Jones said about him, Barber said he didn't know anything about it.

Here's what Wade Phillips had to say on the subject: "And, again, I don't want to speak for Jerry. But I don't think you question his toughness. He's one of the toughest guys we have."

Phillips said Barber can play this week if he doesn't practice, its all about his comfort level.

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2475765 said:
8:21 PM Mon, Dec 08, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Calvin Watkins E-mail News tips

There's been plenty of talk today about whether or not Marion Barber is tough enough for this football team.

The answer is yes.

However, Jerry Jones was surprised Barber did not make the trip to Pittsburgh because of his little toe.

"I thought all week long that he'd be playing this game," Jones said after the Steelers game. "His toe is good enough to play. We can support that toe and he can come play. He's just not comfortable playing. ... I don't know if it's going to be any different than it was this week."

There is this interpretation that Jones doesn't think Barber is tough enough to play. That's absurd. I think Jones was just saying he was surprised Barber couldn't play.

In fact, Tashard Choice said he knew early last week that Barber wouldn't play.

Roy Williams said he wasn't surprised Barber couldn't go.

When I asked him why not he said, "because it's a dislocation of your foot. Its not like it's your finger and you can tape it up. You have to plant on it. That's your foot. Your toe. It's little and we joke about it and tell him to cut it off like Ronnie Lott but it hurts.
I know he wanted to be out there and Choice did a good job of replacing him but we just didn't have that punishing type back like he is."

Barber suffered some calf soreness when trying to compensate for his dislocated little toe last week in practice and that's the reason why he didn't play.

Barber told me today the calf is getting better. As for what Jerry Jones said about him, Barber said he didn't know anything about it.

Here's what Wade Phillips had to say on the subject: "And, again, I don't want to speak for Jerry. But I don't think you question his toughness. He's one of the toughest guys we have."

Phillips said Barber can play this week if he doesn't practice, its all about his comfort level.

There goes the media trying to twist things around to get a story!

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I don't think anybody thinks that not having Barer yesterday was the difference in the game. Choice did a very good job. He mad some big plays, made some key blitz pick ups and was for everything else, a team leader yesterday.

hendog

Reaction score
I find it very hard to believe that JJ would question Marion's toughness.

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cajuncowboy;2475784 said:
I don't think anybody thinks that not having Barer yesterday was the difference in the game. Choice did a very good job. He mad some big plays, made some key blitz pick ups and was for everything else, a team leader yesterday.

I agree that Choice was outstanding, but we needed Barber to run out the clock late in the game. Maybe Choice could've done it, but we didn't really try it with him. Barber truly is The Closer. If Choice was was able to run against them, Barber would've been too. I believe Barber would've helped us seal the victory instead of throwing passes against the wind with receivers losing their footing. Also, on those 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 plays, Barber would've gotten the first downs.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
Am I really reading about Marion Barber not being tough enough?! Have these people ever watched him play? And didn't he already play through a rib injury earlier this season? Next thing you know they'll question whether Yao Ming is tall enough. I mean wow....just....wow...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If that is what Jerry aid then he isn't questioning his toughness.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I think Jerry is getting frustrated by paying out these huge bonuses and giving these big deals only to have the players not perform the same.

Roy Williams, S - Got his money and his play went straight downhill almost instantly

Flozell - Got his money and isn't dominating like last year

TO - Got his "normal" contract big money deal and seems to not be able to beat press coverage or get open as often. Also appears to be dogging it a little at times.

Bradie James - Got his money and has underachieved until very recently

Barber - Got his money and sits with a pinkie toe boo boo and sore calf.

Newman - Got his money and is contantly getting hurt or giving up big plays

Romo - Got his money and keeps choking away the biggest games

Ellis - Complained his way into more money and has done nothing for it

Roy Williams, WR - Got his trade out of Detroit and big money deal and hasn't done much. Granted Romo rarely looks his way.

On the other hand, Ratliff, Bigg, Gurode, Hamlin, and Witten all got paid and are performing on the field week after week.

landryscorner

Reaction score
Pick6TerenceNewman;2475800 said:
That's the media for ya!

Don't believe it either, yahoo's got it on it's sports spread page, hoping to revive some of their declining adspace...haha pathetic

Eskimo

Reaction score
If we have to choose between the two, we may be better off with Choice than Barber on Sunday because of Choice's vision.

Having said that, it doesn't matter who is at RB or QB if Proctor is in at OG - we will lose big-time because it is almost like playing a man short on offense.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;2475784 said:

I don't disagree but I would have loved to have Barber there for the 4th down in the first quarter and on the second to last drive where we wanted to eat up clock.

Still, Choice played great so I have no complaints.

Eskimo

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2475987 said:
I don't disagree but I would have loved to have Barber there for the 4th down in the first quarter and on the second to last drive where we wanted to eat up clock.

Still, Choice played great so I have no complaints.

Barber wouldn't have done any better running behind that blocking with Proctor in there.

It is truly amazing to watch this offense click this year when Proctor isn't in there - it didn't matter whether it was Holland or Kosier who are both probably no better than average OGs. It is just the magnitude of suckitude we get out of Proctor.

He really should be turfed ASAP - I don't even care if we fill the roster spot. That way Garrett and Houck can't trot him out there anymore and will have to find someone else to play - Berger, McQuistan, move Flo to OG, a retired vet, someone off someone else's practice roster - there has got to be a better solution than this guy.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Jerry is as bad as TO, what is the point in calling out MB3 in the media. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

WG5516

Reaction score
I can't believe this is the main headline on the front page of Yahoo.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Why is Jerry Jones taking the loss out on Barber? He should be angry at Wade and Garrett.