DMN Blog: On Spagnuolo's Defense... Strahan Says Romo's Wrong... Practice Report

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Getting after it

Looking for a big difference in the Giants defense since Week 1? Try their grasp of new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's scheme.

Spagnuolo is from the school of Jim Johnson, the long-time Eagle defensive coordinator who's known for his aggressive approach. Spagnuolo served as a low-level defensive assistant from 1999-2000, secondary coach from 2001-03 and linebackers coach the last three years.

And his knowledge of the system has already set in and taken hold in New York. After the defense yielded 80 points in its first two games, New York has risen to the league lead in sacks per pass play and rank seventh in total defense, one spot above the Cowboys. So similiar results are coming from a similar style taught by Spagnuolo.

"They’re not as much a blitz team, Phillips said, comparing Philly's scheme to New York's. "They will blitz, but they’re not as much blitz. But I think that’s probably because they have such good rushers. You want to put pressure on the quarterback, well, they can do it with a four-man rush."

Veteran Michael Strahan is one player at the heart of the revival. In fact, there four -- yes, four -- defensive ends to take credit there.

It's Strahan and also Justin Tuck, Mathias Kiwanuka and, of course, Osi Umenyiora doing the damage and, on passing downs, Spagnuolo will put them all on the field at once. Each ranks in the top 30 in the league in sacks, with Strahan's total of four being the lowest among them.

“I enjoy this defense as much as any of them, the other one (I liked) was playing for John Fox," Strahan said. "I’ve learned stuff from all my coordinators, Mike Nolan, Tim Lewis. This defense is fun because it gives us a lot of freedom. But moreso, it’s enjoying playing with the guys and I think that’s what made a big difference for me."

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 5:12 PM (E-mail this entry)

Strahan says Romo's wrong

Tony Romo said today that he thought the Giants had a good defense at the beginning of the season, but the Cowboys just played really well offensively while putting up 45 points in the opener.

Giants DE Michael Strahan agreed that the Cowboys played really well, but he thought New York's defense was awful in the opener, its first game in a new scheme. It also hurt the Giants that Strahan held out the whole preseason and DE Osi Umenyiora was injured during the first half.

"We made a lot of mistakes in that first game. Trust me," Strahan said in a conference call with Dallas reporters. "I think we'll play a lot different than we did in that first game.

"I appreciate the compliment by him, but I definitely think that we did not play anywhere near how we can play. There was a lot of indecisiveness and a lot of uncertainty. Hopefully, we can eliminate all of that and play more like we've played the last six weeks."

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 4:33 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (6)

Practice report

Here's what the Cowboys passed along to the league:

OUT: WR Terry Glenn (Knee)
DID NOT PRACTICE: WR Isaiah Stanback (Shoulder)
LIMITED PARTICIPATION: S Pat Watkins (Ankle)
FULL PARTICIPATION: CB Anthony Henry (Ankle)

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 4:20 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (1)

At practice ...

The Cowboys were in shoulder pads and shorts, and we were there for early group work. Here's three things Cowboys Blog saw:

-- WR Terry Glenn, again, being the only guy not in attendance.

-- CB Anthony Henry still being held from the starting group. Terence Newman remains at right corner, with Jacques Reeves on the left. This could change with improved health. Playing against 6-foot-5 Plaxico Burress and 6-3 Amani Toomer, having Henry -- the Cowboys biggest corner -- at full go would be pretty helpful.

-- WR Isaiah Stanback didn't wear shoulder pads and was stationed off to the side with associate athletic trainer Britt Brown and assistant strength and conditioning coach Tony Ollison, going through a litany of exercises as he heals a left shoulder injury.

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 1:41 PM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (7)

alancdc

Reaction score
We'll see how they play against teams not named Falcons, 49ers and Dolphins.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
alancdc;1751260 said:
We'll see how they play against teams not named Falcons, 49ers and Dolphins.
I'd say not named Falcons and 49ers, because they played like crap against the Dolphins.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
The Dallas D has improved from the first week as well.

Unfortunately for the gints, the Cowboys O has as well.

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Okay Giants, go ahead and put Osiwanukatuckhan in at the same time and watch Dallas run on you.

Murph80

Reaction score
BAT;1751286 said:
The Dallas D has improved from the first week as well.

Unfortunately for the gints, the Cowboys O has as well.

Newman, Ellis and Tank did not play Week 1.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
IF that's true, what Strahan said, then he has NOONE to blame but him self for the indecisiveness....He shouldn't have sat out all pre-season.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Jimz31;1751353 said:
IF that's true, what Strahan said, then he has NOONE to blame but him self for the indecisiveness....He shouldn't have sat out all pre-season.

True dat !

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I don't think in November 2007 Strahan can handle Columbo.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
theogt;1751249 said:
Strahan says Romo's wrong

Tony Romo said today that he thought the Giants had a good defense at the beginning of the season, but the Cowboys just played really well offensively while putting up 45 points in the opener.

Giants DE Michael Strahan agreed that the Cowboys played really well, but he thought New York's defense was awful in the opener, its first game in a new scheme.

It also hurt the Giants that Strahan held out the whole preseason and DE Osi Umenyiora was injured during the first half.

"We made a lot of mistakes in that first game. Trust me," Strahan said in a conference call with Dallas reporters. "I think we'll play a lot different than we did in that first game.

"I appreciate the compliment by him, but I definitely think that we did not play anywhere near how we can play.

There was a lot of indecisiveness and a lot of uncertainty. Hopefully, we can eliminate all of that and play more like we've played the last six weeks."

Nothing but excuses.

After the game there will be a BREAKING NEWS story: Michael Strahan to retire at season end. :grin2: (all this time I never knew we had a Strahan emoticon)

We were in a new defensive scheme too.