DMN Blog: Phillips makes Moss mortal; pass rushers' call

Angus

Reaction score
Phillips has made Moss mere mortal

You all know about Randy Moss' ridiculous success against the Cowboys.

"He has worn us out," Jerry said.

But superstar columnist Kevin Sherrington points out that Moss hasn't been so special with defensive whiz Wade Phillips on the opposing sideline.

Phillips has faced Moss seven times as either defensive coordinator or head coach at Buffalo ('00), Atlanta ('02 and '03) and San Diego ('05 and '06).

Moss' average against Phillips' defense: 67.4 yards per game, and a total of just three touchdowns. He didn't score in four games against the Chargers over the last two years, although he was injured in one.

Bottom line: If the Cowboys can hold Moss to that average Sunday, their chances of pulling off an upset increase exponentially.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 10:37 AM

Calling all pass rushers

Wade Phillips refuses to share his game plan with reporters, leaving us to speculate on the Cowboys' strategy. But I've got a pretty strong hunch that the defensive package featuring DeMarcus Ware, Greg Ellis and Anthony Spencer will be unleashed on the Patriots in third-and-long situations.

The Cowboys have unveiled the package only a handful of times in the two games Ellis has played. The back seven is the Cowboys' nickel personnel. Ellis and Spencer line up at ends in a three-man front with Jay Ratliff at nose tackle, and Ware is a stand-up edge rusher.

Ellis and Spencer line up a little wider than typical 3-4 ends, making it tough for tackles to get to Ware. The Cowboys run a lot of "games" (stunts, twists, etc.) with this package. The idea is to create mismatches for the Cowboys' three best pass rushers and let them use their speed and athleticism to exploit them.

Phillips has mentioned the danger of blitzing against Tom Brady. This package should be able to get pressure on the QB with seven guys in coverage. The tough part will be getting the Patriots in enough third-and-longs for Ware, Ellis and Spencer to go to work together.

Posted by Tim MacMahon at 10:09 AM
October 12, 2007

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'd like to see Hatcher instead of Ratliff on that package. Love the work Jay is doing, but he's got to be exhausted playing NT almost every down. And I have a feeling Hatcher is just now getting going after that bad hamstring pull in camp.

IMO Spencer and Hatcher will have good games tomorrow. Belichick won't let Ware beat him, and these guys can benefit.

Mansta54

Reaction score
I look for our entire Dline to be very aggressive tomorrow and keeping pressure on Brady all game long. I bet we knock him around pretty good..

RomoFan4ever

Benched
Reaction score
Mansta54;1704325 said:
I look for our entire Dline to be very aggressive tomorrow and keeping pressure on Brady all game long. I bet we knock him around pretty good..

One of the things that I really knacked on Parcells about was the LACK of Playing Angry(i.e. the 2nd Philly and 2nd Wash games of '06 and '05, respectively)-it costed us a good number of big games.

I have a gut feeling we will do so tomorrow, and win big.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Mansta54;1704325 said:
I agree. Wade said we'd be very agressive against Trent Edwards and we came out very basic on defense, not blitzing much.

This week he said we'd need to win a lot of one-on-one matchups with just 4-man rushes. I think we're going to throw everything we've got at him.

Mansta54

Reaction score
RomoFan4ever;1704330 said:
One of the things that I really knacked on Parcells about was the LACK of Playing Angry(i.e. the 2nd Philly and 2nd Wash games of '06 and '05, respectively)-it costed us a good number of big games.

I have a gut feeling we will do so tomorrow, and win big.

I agree!! I truely believe that tomorrow we will physically beat up the Pats and get after Brady all game long. We're a extremely physical team.

Mansta54

Reaction score
theogt;1704332 said:
I agree. Wade said we'd be very agressive against Trent Edwards and we came out very basic on defense, not blitzing much.

This week he said we'd need to win a lot of one-on-one matchups with just 4-man rushes. I think we're going to throw everything we've got at him.

I just think our Dline will apply constant pressure on TB. I see DWare, Ellis, and Spencer having big games tomorrow. I know the Pats oline is good but we're gonna overpower them and the same with our oline. They will lean on them in the late 3rd and 4th qtrs...

RomoFan4ever

Benched
Reaction score
Mansta54;1704339 said:
I just think our Dline will apply constant pressure on TB. I see DWare, Ellis, and Spencer having big games tomorrow. I know the Pats oline is good but we're gonna overpower them and the same with our oline. They will lean on them in the late 3rd and 4th qtrs...

Our 12th man could create problems for the Pats' O-line.

Mansta54

Reaction score
RomoFan4ever;1704340 said:
Our 12th man could create problems for the Pats' O-line.

Yep!! The 12th man, the hype, WP defensive game plan, the noise all week about the Pats being so superior team and our highpowered O will be too much for the Pats tomorrow..

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Man, that front 4 of Ellis, Spencer, Ratliff and Ware is awesome. Now can we get the Pats in obvious pass situations to get this lineup on the field. Hatcher would be great in there too but who would he replace as he can't play the nose for Ratliff.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Angus;1704319 said:
Calling all pass rushers

Wade Phillips refuses to share his game plan with reporters, leaving us to speculate on the Cowboys' strategy.
MacMahon must really be an idiot if he thinks Wade is going spell out everything for reporters. Give me a break.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1704944 said:
MacMahon must really be an idiot if he thinks Wade is going spell out everything for reporters. Give me a break.

Apparently thats what they do in New England, Peter King has all the inside scoops to how the patriots will defend Owens and Witten.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
theogt;1704332 said:

agree ! I think you'll see some 7-8 man drops to keep them guessing but its going to be a 3 step day for Tom.

dallas_112678

Reaction score
CowboyManDan;1704827 said:
Man, that front 4 of Ellis, Spencer, Ratliff and Ware is awesome. Now can we get the Pats in obvious pass situations to get this lineup on the field. Hatcher would be great in there too but who would he replace as he can't play the nose for Ratliff.

God just wait until we get Tank Johnson eligible to play, we are only going to get better, especially after Newman, Glenn, and Ellis get 100% healthy. Even if we dong win tommorrow, we have so much to look forward to this season.