DMN Blog: Pick your poison: Stopping Santana Moss or Clinton Portis?

Section446

Reaction score
I feel better today after reading that Portis is not even certain that he'll be able to play. Hopefully he's still in a lot of pain and will be limited.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
PaulH1083;2412102 said:
I feel better today after reading that Portis is not even certain that he'll be able to play. Hopefully he's still in a lot of pain and will be limited.

that weirdo is gonna play.no way he sits,we cant be that lucky.

Section446

Reaction score
djdoug;2412109 said:
that weirdo is gonna play.no way he sits,we cant be that lucky.
He may not sit but if he's limited that's great news.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Why not both?

Portis can be stopped.

Santana Moss is an all pro only when he plays Dallas.

Section446

Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2412111 said:
Why not both?

Portis can be stopped.

Santana Moss is an all pro only when he plays Dallas.
I don't know about that, he's had a pretty damn good season up to this point.

Section446

Reaction score
djdoug;2412114 said:
I say we get a bounty for one of the players on defense to take him out.:D
Hey, it seems to be working in Baltimore, ever since that story broke that defense has been playing like they are out to kill someone. I would hate to be Ward later in the year.

Frozen700

Reaction score
dargonking999;2410850 said:
Yea let's put Henry and Hamlin on Moss.

The two knuckleheads, who not only can't tackle, but can't even see themselves in a mirror.

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

omg its like 11 pm n everyone is sleeping n you got me pounding my desk n laughing hard

Sad but true about Henry n hamlin

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
PaulH1083;2412115 said:
Hey, it seems to be working in Baltimore, ever since that story broke that defense has been playing like they are out to kill someone. I would hate to be Ward later in the year.

yeah,Hines Ward is toast.Ray Lewis will see to that,can you say.....earholed?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
theebs;2410829 said:
Portis and there is no question about it.

Stop Portis and you stop the Commanders.

just like the giants stopped westbrook last night and stopped the eagles.

If we can stop the running game we should be in good shape. We are going to hit campbell alot sunday night. He will be looking to dump it off and if it is 3rd and 8 or so we should be in good shape.

Absolutely. You cant let them get a head of steam with the running game. If you had to pick one you have to take a chance on Moss having a few BIG catches over letting Portis RUN ALL OVER our defense. The DB's have to be attacking and physical with WR's = STARTING NOW.

Its a new season. Romo back, Roy catching from Romo.... lets go!

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
theebs;2410829 said:
Portis and there is no question about it.

Stop Portis and you stop the Commanders.

just like the giants stopped westbrook last night and stopped the eagles.

If we can stop the running game we should be in good shape. We are going to hit campbell alot sunday night. He will be looking to dump it off and if it is 3rd and 8 or so we should be in good shape.

Exactly. Look at every Commanders game this year. Teams that contain Portis give the Skins fits. Teams that allow him to have a good game usually lose. I first really noticed this in the Rams game as the Rams contained Portis for 3 quarters. Portis had a good fourth quarter and wound up with over 100 yards rushing. But because the Rams were able to contain him for most of the game, they wound up winning at FedEx. Not only was it a road win, but traditionally the Rams have been tremendously horrible on the road on grass.

I will say the one thing I noticed this year from the past is on crucial downs, particularly third downs, Campbell's first look is to Moss and then Cooley is usually his second look. In the past on crucial downs, particularly third downs or anytime in the red zone, Cooley was his first and second look. Used to drive me nuts that teams couldn't quite figure that out. Especially in the red zone because they ALWAYS (with no exaggeration) looked for Cooley on the left side of the end zone.

Campbell's QB rating has now dipped down to a 92 and it's quite obvious to me that he's one of those QB's that needs the running game to get going in order for him to excel (there's nothing wrong with that). Romo needs his receivers to do a good job of getting open early to excel. The problem Dallas has is the Commanders love to run out on the edges and Dallas usually struggles against those types of runs. Plus, I'm not looking forward to Samuels and/or Kendall pimp slapping Canty all game long.

YAKUZA

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I will give more credit to Sean Hill than to Vernon Davis.... Davis pulled up in SURE TD.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
In some respects, the premise of this blog is depressing: Will the Cowboys be able to contain the Commander offense and their two explosive playmakers?

Meanwhile, the Cowboys quite literally can trot out a pro bowler at every starting offensive skill position except fullback (which is the least skilled of the offensive skill position) and many pundits are debating whether or not Dallas will be able to move the ball on a consistent basis.

It would be funny if it weren't so tragic.:eek::

Bryan8284

Reaction score
I just don't get it. It's two guys. You stop the run and you're in great shape.

Why isn't this, who does Washington stop? Barber, TO, Witten, or Williams? Jones too if he's playing. Oh yes, that's right, we stop them ourselves.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
The key to stopping the Commanders passing game is no secret. Press coverage. Sounds simple, but I mean it. Watch the skins games closely, and pay attention to the WR's. They are always at a dead stop when they catch the ball. All of them. They run a route, 5 yards or so, turn around and catch the ball, then its just RAC yards.

If you press cover them, Campbell will have to accurately throw the ball to a moving target. Something he hasn't exactly excelled in.

If the cowboys lay off 10 yards off the LOS, they're done. Campbell will throw a 3 yard pass, and the recievers (particularly Moss), will run for another 7 yards).

This is the main reason why Campbell hasn't been throwing picks this year. Cause he's throwing the ball 3 yards to targets who are at a dead stop. Hell, I could do that.

Stop the 3 yard passes, and you win the game.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Chris Canty, Marcus Spears, Tank Johnson, Bradie James. This would be a really nice time for you 4 to get your **** together.

We need to control the line of scrimmage, I remember a time when this team was consistently keeping great backs under 100 yards. What happened?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No doubt in my mind it starts up front with stopping Portis and putting the skins in clear cut passing situations.