WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The sun came up, but still few answers

5:57 AM Mon, Nov 03, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Brian Davis E-mail News tips

As the DMN crew sits here at the Newark airport waiting to come home, we started kicking around ideas for why the Cowboys should have hope. Tony Romo is coming back, that's No. 1. Let's see, Romo is coming back. And Romo is playing again after the bye week. That's probably not enough to make us race out and buy tickets to Tampa.

I went over what was said in the locker room again, and it's clear the players aren't quite sure that Romo's return is the big cure-all for this team.

"You just can't say we've got some guys coming back so everything's going to be OK," Greg Elils said. "We've still got to do better as a team. I don't know. Coaches, owners and players are doing the best we can do to try to win. It just didn't happen today."

Zach Thomas was asked if the Cowboys are going to get better once Romo, Felix Jones, Terence Newman, Kyle Kosier and Co. all return.

"We better be good quick," Thomas said. "We've got no room for error. But give them credit. They won in every category. You just gotta keep having faith and hopefully it will come together for the second half of the season."

Seriously, besides Romo's return, do the Cowboys have more reasons to be optimistic? The schedule is brutal with road trips still to Washington, Pittsburgh and Philly. The defense caught whatever bug the special teams had.

Let's hope the bye week gives this team a chance to do some serious soul searching. Wade Phillips talks at 3 p.m. so we'll see what he thinks.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Players should not expect Romo to be the cure all, they need to continue to work and try to improve not sit there thinking Romo is back let him carry us. Dallas dug a hole and it is going to take team to get us out of the hole.

slogriff

Reaction score
If Romo isn't the one to lead the Boys to a "recovery", who is going to kick some *** and get this turned around?

Wade has already said he isn't going to change. Your not going to teach that old dog any new tricks. Head coaching career with no playoff victories appears to be a likely summation of Wade's career.

Can either of the coordinators rally his units?
Stewart? yeah right.
Garrett? Is he playing the good lieutenant and not stepping on Wade's toes or does he too lack the ability to "lead"? He is likely going to get the reigns next year but his star has been quite tarnished in my mind this year.

I just don't see the owner/GM, even one as heavily involved as Jerry, being a guy the players rally around to go to battle.

That leaves Romo and I have my doubts that like Wade it isn't in his nature to take the bull by the horns, knock heads, and demand more from his teammates.

For example, after the game Romo says he won't be sure if he will play vs Washington until after he throws this week. Screw that crap. He should say there is no way on earth anyone would keep him off the field. It was implied the pain was manageable weeks ago but to throw the ball he would have to have minimal protection on the hand leaving it open to possible further damage. Tony, the season is NOW! This team has no leader at the wheel so grab the wheel and steer us away from driving off the cliff.

superpunk

Reaction score
The players have no confidence because the coaches have none, IMO.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
He isn't. Of course it won't hurt either. Felix, Barber, Adams, Koiser, and Witten being healthy won't hurt either.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
If Romo the scrambler and playmaker comes back... then we have a fighting chance in EVERY GAME.

If Tony "Tom Brady Cylon" Romo comes back then we go 8-8 for season at best.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
YoMick;2395438 said:
If Romo the scrambler and playmaker comes back... then we have a fighting chance in EVERY GAME.

If Tony "Tom Brady Cylon" Romo comes back then we go 8-8 for season at best.
Having a offense that's capable of scoring 30 points has got to help.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Not sure why they would.

This ship was sinking when Romo was the starter.

He will help but I still think this team is average if the only change is Tony Romo re-inserted into the starting lineup.

It would be foolish to think otherwise.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Maybe we should dumb down the defense from its current dumbed down version.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2395439 said:
Our offense will score 50+ win Romo comes back.

It wasn't scoring 50 before the injury. Even when the offensive line wasn't stinking it up.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The offense will be better and his ability to go deep will help our running game. Being able to do that will help the defense stay off the field so much and we should be able to make some teams go further to score than from our 30 all the time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo is not the cure all. Getting the rest of the walking wounded won't be the cure all. This game of football is still won in the trenches. Until their play improves we will continue to struggle.