DMN Blog: Scouting department movement

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
10:10 AM Thu, Jun 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Todd Archer E-mail News tips

Tom Ciskowski has been in the old office that belonged to Larry Lacewell and Jeff Ireland for some time now, but the club has not announced his promotion as the head of the pro and college scouting departments. That announcement is expected soon, but Ciskowski ran the draft and Jerry Jones has said he's the choice to run the show.

With Ciskowski's promotion and national scout Mike Murphy's departure for Miami after the draft, the Cowboys have re-shuffled the scouting department

Here goes:

Walt Juliff, who has been with the Cowboys since 1992, has moved from Southeast Area Scout to a National Scout role. Drew Fabianich has moved from the Midwest Area Scout to a National Scout role.

Mitch LaPoint will move from the West to the Southeast, and Henry Sroka will move from the Southwest to the West. The Cowboys added Bill Dekraker from Arizona and he will replace Fabianich in the Midwest. Sam Garza will move from the pro scouting department to the Southwest.

Keith O'Quinn will replace Garza in the pro department, assisting new pro personnel director Judd Garrett.

Comments (1) Leave comment | E-mail entry

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
i wonder where will mcclay lays in the pecking order. He is a national scout and head coach of the desperados.

I thought I had read he could be moving up a little in the future, seeing that he was higher up in jax.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2106710 said:
Henry Sroka will move from the Southwest to the West.

I don't know what kind of scout he is, but Henry Sroka is as nice a person as you'll ever meet. Total class.

webby75216

Reaction score
Drew Fabianich was my football coach at WT White highschool. He left us to work for the cowboys.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
our scouts this year are so lucky.

Considering they get super bowl rings also.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys name Tom Ciskowski Director of College and Pro Scouting

12:34 PM Thu, Jun 05, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
Barry Vigoda E-mail News tips

I wonder if somebody read Todd Archer's earlier post.

Read the jump for the press release from the Cowboys.

Dallas Cowboys Name Tom Ciskowski

Director of College and Pro Scouting

Tom Ciskowski was named the Director of College and Pro Scouting in 2008. In his first draft as the top scout, he helped the organization address two positions of concern in landing a pair running backs and cornerbacks with Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins both coming in the first round. The club also gained two additional picks in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Ciskowski, who originally joined the Cowboys scouting department in 1992, finished his seventh season as the club's Assistant Director of College Scouting in 2007. Ciskowski observed first-hand the top college prospects in the land and also helped organize the club's entire college scouting operation. In his first season with the Cowboys, he served as a scout administered by the BLESTO Scouting Combine. Ciskowski became an area scout in 1993, working in the west for five years before moving to the southeast from 1998-2000.

Before becoming a scout, Ciskowski spent 15 years in the coaching ranks, the first two (1977-78) as an assistant at Pawhuska, Okla., High School. In 1979, he moved into the college coaching ranks, becoming the defensive backfield coach at East Central University in Ada, Okla. While at ECU, he earned his masters degree in athletic administration. The following year, he moved to Arizona State University, working with the defensive line as a graduate assistant for the 1980-81 seasons.

In 1982, Ciskowski moved to Oklahoma State, joining the staff as an assistant to former Dallas offensive line coach Tony Wise, before becoming the offensive line and tight-end coach at Wichita State in 1984. After that season, Ciskowski joined the University of Miami as a volunteer assistant, working with former Dallas defensive coordinator Butch Davis and the defensive line.

From 1986-89, Ciskowski worked with the offensive and defensive lines, first at New Mexico State for two seasons, and then at UNLV for two more. Before coming to Dallas, he coached the defensive line at College of the Sequoias in Visilia, Calif., from 1990-91. Thirteen of the team's players went on from the junior college to play Division I football in 1992.

A native of Medford, Okla., Ciskowski attended Medford High School and earned his bachelor's degree from Cameron University, where he also played football. He and wife Jan live in Coppell, Texas, with sons, Jeremy and Joshua, and daughter Julianna.

Scouting Department

Tom Ciskowski - Director of College and Pro Scouting

Chris Hall - College Scouting Coordinator

Drew Fabianich - National Scout

Walter Juliff - National Scout

Bill Dekraker - Midwest Area Scout

Sam Garza - Southwest Area Scout

Mitch LaPoint - Southeast Area Scout

Henry Sroka - West Area Scout

John Wojciechowski - Northeast Area Scout

Rich Behm - Scouting Assistant

Judd Garrett - Assistant Director of Pro Scouting

Will McClay - Pro Scout

Keith O'Quinn - Pro Scout

Jim Dodson - Pro Scouting Assistant

DallasFanSince86

Pessimism Sucks
Reaction score
These moves sound good to me.

And Yeagermeister:

Yeagermeister;2106874 said:
Isn't McClay the Desperados coach?

theebs;2106716 said:
i wonder where will mcclay lays in the pecking order. He is a national scout and head coach of the desperados.

I thought I had read he could be moving up a little in the future, seeing that he was higher up in jax.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ciskowski Excited About New Role

Just visited with Tom Ciskowski, the Cowboys' official new scouting director who has essentially assumed Jeff Ireland's duties since Ireland left for the Dolphins back in January. Ciskowski organized the scouting department leading up to the draft and drew high praise from Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on draft weekend.

After Ireland left, Ciskowski (the assistant director of college scouting since 1992) juggled his college duties with helping the department prepare for pro free agency.

"It was a hectic couple of months," Ciskowski said.

"Jerry's been up front with me from the start. I feel real comfortable with what my role's going to be with this organization. There's direct lines of communication; I can go to Jerry at any time . . . He's always been very, very supportive."

-Rob Phillips

---

This announcement doesn't come as a surprise, but it helps finalize the Cowboys' reshuffled scouting department: The club has officially named Tom Ciskowski its director of college and pro scouting, replacing the departed Jeff Ireland.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said on draft weekend an official announcement was nothing more than a formality, having been very impressed with Ciskowski's work leading up to the draft. The Cowboys addressed two pressing needs -- running back and cornerback -- by drafting Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins in the first round.

Ciskowski orginally joined the Cowboys' scouting department in 1992 and just completed his seventh season as the club's assistant director of college scouting. The Cowboys also recently hired Judd Garrett, brother of Jason and John Garrett, to replace Brian Gaine as assistant director of pro scouting. Gaine and Ireland left to join Bill Parcells in the Dolphins organization after the season.

Here is the Cowboys' full scouting department:

Tom Ciskowski - Director of College and Pro Scouting

Chris Hall - College Scouting Coordinator

Drew Fabianich - National Scout

Walter Juliff - National Scout

Bill Dekraker - Midwest Area Scout

Sam Garza - Southwest Area Scout

Mitch LaPoint - Southeast Area Scout

Henry Sroka - West Area Scout

John Wojciechowski - Northeast Area Scout

Rich Behm - Scouting Assistant

Judd Garrett - Assistant Director of Pro Scouting

Will McClay - Pro Scout

Keith O'Quinn - Pro Scout

Jim Dodson - Pro Scouting Assistant

Published Jun 05 2008, 12:29 PM by rphillips

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
webby75216;2106793 said:
Drew Fabianich was my football coach at WT White highschool. He left us to work for the cowboys.

what year did you graduate?

My mom and sister and I all graduated from White.