DMN Blog: Smart Money Says Crayton's Out

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Smart money says Crayton's out

WR Patrick Crayton called his status for tomorrow a "game-time" decision. But he did allow it's looking more and more like he'll sit this one out.

He was wearing a walking boot over his sprained left ankle in the locker room today, which is more a preventive measure than anything else. Crayton said he injured the ankle on a first-quarter punt return, but felt OK and played through it. After the game, the ankle swollen, but it went back down on Monday and an MRI came out negative.

Crayton agreed with Wade Phillips' assessment that if this was a normal week, and the game was on Sunday, he may be OK to play. But with the short turnaround and a trip to the playoffs a near certainty, managing the injury with an eye on being ready for the stretch run is a priority.

"That’s what (head trainer) Jim Maher was saying, we gotta think about the long haul," Crayton said. "Don’t push it for tomorrow’s game, think about the long haul. Right now, we’re trying to get to this last run and this is when you want to be playing your last football."

Crayton, too, admitted he's got his eye on being at full speed for the Packer game in a week.

The other factor here is that Crayton's injury is such that playing on it could make it worse, or make the problem longer-lasting. That's why he's got the boot on, to limit movement and promote healing.

If he can't go, Crayton said he'll try and help Sam Hurd and Miles Austin from the sideline, and said he's got the utmost confidence that Hurd can fill the role he's played for 10 games.

"He’s always prepared," Crayton said of Hurd.

Posted by Albert Breer http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 1:25 PM (E-mail this entry)

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
resting it is a good idea, we will need him for the packer game and the december stretch.

I dont mind Hurd filling in for 1 game

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
Better to have him for the GB game anyway. He is a great asset to our offense but I'm hoping Wade gets a look at TNEW returning some punts and includes him in the mix there from here on out. The punt return game has been nothing lately.

Dcowboy84

Reaction score
The only plus side of this is the chance to see our young receivers a bit more in game situations...

we get to see Hurd as #2, Austin in 3 receiver sets, and possibly get some Stanback sightings at WR

Reaction score
I believe Stanback will get some catches this Thursday, could be a coming out party (in a good way)...

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
wow! that sucks if he can't play. i have a feeling this is gonna be a tough game.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1781874 said:
I'm actually kind of excited to see Hurd out there as our #2.

Me too --big game for Hurd goes along ways in knowing what to do with
Crayton contract

jchocolate82

Reaction score
Rampage;1781994 said:
wow! that sucks if he can't play. i have a feeling this is gonna be a tough game.

I really dont think it will cause crayton really hasnt been lighting up. I love crayton and he has great hands but I really dont think there's to much of a drop off from crayton to hurd because or offense is centered around TO and Witten to begin with.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
jchocolate82;1782006 said:
I really dont think it will cause crayton really hasnt been lighting up. I love crayton and he has great hands but I really dont think there's to much of a drop off from crayton to hurd because or offense is centered around TO and Witten to begin with.
i wanna see how well austin and hurd break off there routes when the jets blitz. that has been a big reason why we are so successful against the blitz. crayton does it very well, let's see how the young'ns do

Mansta54

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1781874 said:
I'm actually kind of excited to see Hurd out there as our #2.

Me too!! Does Hurd have more speed then Crayton?

followthestar

Reaction score
Crayton is a very good slot receiver and can fill in well enough split out to be a legit #2. His talents/gifts are very good field awareness finding seams, and having a great set of hands. Hurd is a bit more physical, uses his body well to shield the defender, and is more of a strider. IMO.

I've seen Hurd make some great catches, adjusting well to the ball and also stretch the field for long TDs. He should be fine in this game. What I think we all want to see though is Stanbach just running past the CB for a perfect rainbow good for about 65 yards... :)

jchocolate82

Reaction score
Rampage;1782010 said:
i wanna see how well austin and hurd break off there routes when the jets blitz. that has been a big reason why we are so successful against the blitz. crayton does it very well, let's see how the young'ns do

Hurd can do that. Thats how he got his first TD in the Giants game in the season opener. He recognized and read the blitz and ran his route accordingly and thats what both Wade and Romo said. Its been reported that Hurd is pretty good at his preparation for the games. I think we'll do just fine with Hurd starting this game cause next weeks game is a little more important for Crayton to come back healthy for.