DMN Blog: Smell a big game coming for Spencer

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
(We interrupt all the Tony Romo contract talk to discuss the minor matter of this week's game against hated division rival Philadelphia.)

You know Donovan McNabb's mobility is a problem when a 4-yard run by him is headline news, and the snap didn't even sail over his head.

McNabb, who wasn't near the running threat he used to be even before tearing up his knee last season, claims that he has his burst back. Wade Phillips claims to believe him, but the fact is McNabb has a much better chance to beat the Cowboys if he's sitting comfortably in the pocket than if they make him move.

DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis are one of the NFL's most productive pass-rush tandems. You figure they'll present all sorts of problems for the Eagles, especially since RT Jon Runyan is toughing it out with a broken tailbone.

But the prediction here is that rookie OLB Anthony Spencer makes McNabb's Sunday miserable. This is partially because I think Spencer is developing into a fine player, but primarily because of my worst-case scenario theory for McNabb.

You see, the Cowboys swapped picks with Philly to select Spencer. McNabb was rather perturbed that the Eagles traded down to draft Kevin Kolb, the kid that could replace him as soon as next season. Just imagine how mad McNabb will be when Spencer drives him into the turf a few times.

Posted by Tim MacMahon http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sharedcontent/dws/img/standing/icons/email.gif at 10:18 AM (E-mail this entry) Permalink | Comments (0)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would not be surprised. I think the bye week will help benefit Spencer it allows him to get more work in and time to reflect on the 1st half of the season and where he needs to improve his game.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
I'd like to see a 3rd and long defense consist of Ratliff, Ellis, Ware, and Spencer bring the heat. Wonder if McNabb would wilt.

Word Mofo

Reaction score
I hope Spencer gets the majority of snaps because I have this recurring nightmare where Ellis is out in coverage trailing Westbrook

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Insert joke about who broke John Runyan's tailbone, and how, here:

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
It'd be great if Spencer regularly had especially good games against the Eagles.

It'd chafe those Eagles fans...

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Word Mofo;1736460 said:
I hope Spencer gets the majority of snaps because I have this recurring nightmare where Ellis is out in coverage trailing Westbrook

I have that nightmare, but it includes both Spencer and Ellis.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhh.... visions of Spencer pulling Manning down to the ground in game 1...... I like redundancy :D

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I still think he should be the starter..but yes, I do hope he gets his share on Sunday.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Cowboys need to put two big guys on runyan first play and drive him down on his ***. They need to get that tailbone throbing and the sacks will come. I just hope if we do take Runyan out Justice replaces him... LOL

Doomsday101

Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1737055 said:
Cowboys need to put two big guys on runyan first play and drive him down on his ***. They need to get that tailbone throbing and the sacks will come. I just hope if we do take Runyan out Justice replaces him... LOL

So you don't think Ware or Spencer could beat a healthy Runyan?

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Never said that I just want to see McNabb get LIT UP! With our luck we would end up hurting him and then Kolb would come in and become the next marino... lol

Doomsday101

Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1737076 said:
Never said that I just want to see McNabb get LIT UP!

I do as well I just think we can with the players we have up front regardless of who is starting for Philly or not. Dallas should be well rested and prepared for this game.

D-TownRadio

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah but Runyan is a much better player then Justice. With Justice in it would force philly to double team ellis or ware leaving the other with good shots at McNabb all day.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
D-TownRadio;1737116 said:
Yeah but Runyan is a much better player then Justice. With Justice in it would force philly to double team ellis or ware leaving the other with good shots at McNabb all day.

I expect to get to McNabb with or without Runyan. To hell with him he is good but our guys can do the job. I don't worry about who plays and who doesn't I want Philly at their best hell beating up cripples is not my bag. :laugh1:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
gregg Ellis owns Jon Runyan. He always has big games.

its weird, ware and ellis both always play really well against the eagles and neither have real big games against the skins.

I hope all of them have a big day. Mcnabb was on the run last week and they didnt get him, he got outside the pocket and converted a bunch of third downs. that was the difference in the game. So hopefully we can control westbrook and try to make them hold the ball and throw it deep to beat us.
Which is where Ellis, spencer, ware, Hatcher and ratliff come in.

dalboy

one man wolf pack
Reaction score
theebs;1737241 said:
gregg Ellis owns Jon Runyan. He always has big games.

its weird, ware and ellis both always play really well against the eagles and neither have real big games against the skins.

I hope all of them have a big day. Mcnabb was on the run last week and they didnt get him, he got outside the pocket and converted a bunch of third downs. that was the difference in the game. So hopefully we can control westbrook and try to make them hold the ball and throw it deep to beat us.
Which is where Ellis, spencer, ware, Hatcher and ratliff come in.

but that the Vikings with no defense but still he will need to be stopped. There is no way he is back to 100%. Is it just me or does he get hurt every year, plus you are right about Ellis, he will have a huge day agaisnt Mcnabb.